Sweet sixteen a success for this team?

Agreed. A loss at home to Belmont would make this season an unequivocal failure, and would have even more devastating ramifications than the Michigan debacle last year...

Geez don't even mention that. After that loss, the entire University sank into the Tennessee River and the players and coaching staff simply evaporated into thin air, defying all scientific explanations. The program will never recover. I am not sure why we are even having this thread or, board for that matter, since the LV basketball program no longer exist.

No one in their right mind would classify this season as a failure. Injuries took their toll in the long run. Frankly, anyone who expects perfection needs to have their expectations adjusted. We've won 24 games and can win 25 if we get past Belmont. 25 wins is an excellent season (so is 24 BTW) and no one should try to cheapen anything at this point.

That's debatable. Even with the Powell commitment, recruiting is still a big question mark IMO. They've been "finalists" for a lot of great players.
Really? Finalists as in visits and parental glad tidings and listing us on instagram and stuff? I wasn't aware.
Agreed. A loss at home to Belmont would make this season an unequivocal failure, and would have even more devastating ramifications than the Michigan debacle last year...
Jeeze, hyperventilate much? It would be a big disappointment and even if Belmont is actually a good team, an embarrassment. But not apocalyptic. But here's where the injuries help us out for a change. An excuse is ok if it's also a valid reason. I think that pads the fall.

Just to leave you happy, I think its academic bc I think we beat Belmont. Only to get decimated by Louisville and their coach who has probably heard he is morally unfit one too many times. Go Zags, our only hope.

I sooh feel for Elvee/Darth. The conflicting emotions must be really uncomfortable. On the one hand, a LV loss againt Belmosnt would all him o her to go full gloat mode but then s/he misses out on living the dream of Louisville drubbing the LVs. Yet, game, should it come to pass, would also harbor the nightmare scenario of the LVs pulling the upset. So risk versus reward calculations come into play. Challenging times indeed....
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times……

I wouldn't count beating Buffalo and Belmont at home to get to the Sweet 16 a success. I'm pretty sure we're expected to beat those two schools, even
with our various problems.

Reactions: vettefool and lvocd
I wouldn't count beating Buffalo and Belmont at home to get to the Sweet 16 a success. I'm pretty sure we're expected to beat those two schools, even

who expected? Did we LV nation yes. But some of the "professionals" (one a LV4L) had us getting upset.

Especially after what a 5 year absence? We aren't the Pat teams but we aren't the Holly teams either which means we gotta build back to the normal of what was.

I'm going to celebrate Kellie's first Sweet16 as the LV coach just means she and TN did what the other 3 teams couldn't in the subregional

Lady vols have to play with a chip on their shoulder. Like literally earn the respect of their opponents. Like Buffalo’s head coach stated, “ respect is earned and not given” we have to play hard against Belmont so we can make a sweet 16! Never overlook an opponent.

Seriously? So if, say, a mid-major were to eliminate a 1-seed on the way to the final, and then we played that mid-major in the final and beat them to win the natty, would you think it wasn't anything much to celebrate?

Ya gotta stop trying to find reasons to diminish the accomplishments of your supposed favorite team. You can't keep moving the goal posts and still expect anyone to believe you do actually root for Tennessee.

Seriously. Come on, man. :confused:

No one can take getting to the Sweet 16 for granted, especially for a program that hasn't been there for a few years. So even if we had our injured players back, taking a step in the right direction in the NCAAs is a successful step in building your program back and selling it to recruits and even the fan base. The flip side is that it will hard to make that case if we lose tomorrow. Some of us may understand that it might just be a blip related to injuries and so forth but try to sell this to a top recruit. A big game tomorrow regardless of who are opponent is.

With all the injuries,would Lady Vol nation be happy? Sweet sixteen ceiling?
We were playing like this before Jordan was injured. We are close to the bottom of the NCAA in turnovers. Lazy passes, Burrell playing out of control, never any plays to get Key the ball when she does get open, no close out on their 3 point shooters. Now for the positive We won the game. Being satisfied with all the turnovers because we play fast is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I love our coach but facts is facts and unless she demands more, our road will come to the end in the sweet 16.

Reactions: vettefool
No one can take getting to the Sweet 16 for granted, especially for a program that hasn't been there for a few years. So even if we had our injured players back, taking a step in the right direction in the NCAAs is a successful step in building your program back and selling it to recruits and even the fan base. The flip side is that it will hard to make that case if we lose tomorrow. Some of us may understand that it might just be a blip related to injuries and so forth but try to sell this to a top recruit. A big game tomorrow regardless of who are opponent is.

Well said,,,and go LV's

We were playing like this before Jordan was injured. We are close to the bottom of the NCAA in turnovers. Lazy passes, Burrell playing out of control, never any plays to get Key the ball when she does get open, no close out on their 3 point shooters. Now for the positive We won the game. Being satisfied with all the turnovers because we play fast is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I love our coach but facts is facts and unless she demands more, our road will come to the end in the sweet 16.
If it were only this simple.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
We have a top recruit coming in, Justine Pissott, who is aware of our turnover ratio.

I would not call it a success or failure. First two rounds we should win. Getting into Elite 8 would be a successful season in my view.

200.gif

At the beginning of this season, there were national articles about Tennessee’s new star player, Rae, taking over after Rennia had graduated. Rae looked confident and smooth in the few minutes I saw her play, before an injury took her out of the game for an indefinite length of time. I thought, there goes our season, bet many of us did.

So, Kellie, her assistant Coaches, and this team began to gut out wins against teams who were predicted to beat us. Texas is one, and both Texas and UCF are still in this tournament. We gave Stanford a good game, too. Everyone on our team stepped up, Horston became the new star, and she had a lot of help.

Then we lost Green, who had been a strong presence under the basket, to a season ending injury. Rae came back, but had to work to get back to her pre-injury form, she’s closer now. Then, while playing at Alabama, Horston was injured and out indefinitely. Three days later, without any time to make adjustments for the loss of Horston, our team still came out and played a great game at South Carolina.

So, it’s obvious to me, even though I have always been happy that Kellie is our Coach, that I underestimated her, her assistant Coaches, and all the players on this Tennessee team. I do not believe there are many Coaches and Teams who could have won so much, under the circumstances that happened to us this year, enough to not only be in the NCAA Tournament, but to get the first two games at home, and we’re still playing.

It chokes me up how much I admire and am excited for Kellie, her Coaches, and every one of our players.

GO LADY VOLS!!!

Seriously? So if, say, a mid-major were to eliminate a 1-seed on the way to the final, and then we played that mid-major in the final and beat them to win the natty, would you think it wasn't anything much to celebrate?

Ya gotta stop trying to find reasons to diminish the accomplishments of your supposed favorite team. You can't keep moving the goal posts and still expect anyone to believe you do actually root for Tennessee.

Seriously. Come on, man. :confused:

Let's review the original question, shall we? It was: would getting to the Sweet 16 be considered a success? I replied, not really, because all we have to do is beat Belmont, a 12-seed, after beating a 13-seed, Buffalo, to get to the Sweet 16. And, so no, I wouldn't be doing somersaults after beating two very low seeds. You responded to my post by wondering if I'd be happy if we beat a mid-major to win the national title. Uh, I think that's a totally difference scenario, yes? C'mon man: Stick to the original post.

Reactions: MAD

VN Store

Back