Sweet 16 Bound

Rickster

VFL
200w.gif

Amazing things can happen when you "Trust the Process", work hard, and believe and trust in each other. This is the first major step, outwardly, that signifies that the program is on it's way back to being a national contender. Hats off to the coaches, players, and support staff. Let's take the next step, Go Lady Vols.

Amazing things can happen when you "Trust the Process", work hard, and believe and trust in each other. This is the first major step, outwardly, that signifies that the program is on it's way back to being a national contender. Hats off to the coaches, players, and support staff. Let's take the next step, Go Lady Vols.

GOOD POST! But here are a few thoughts:
I hope the ladies learned the lesson last night that when you have a team on the ropes (like 14-15 down late in the 1st half) that you do not take your foot off of their neck. If you do, bad things can happen.

You need to "want to" much more than the people your are playing. I think this is the big equalizer when a team you should handle with some ease has more "want to" than you. "Want to" nearly bit our ladies in the hut last night and it did the men's program.

I know Key had a good game on paper, however what is wrong with her? This game and the previous game she has seemed disinterested to me. Or maybe "in a mood" but just doesn't seem quiet right to me.

Love the take charge attitude shown by a freshman at the end. She said "they had my back". Well it is a strong back that looks to me to be the foundation of a dominate team leader on and off court.

Maybe this should go in the "game" thread, but I admit to having a little sadness for Belmont. They played so hard, hustled, never quit, came so close to pulling off the massive upset, reminding me so much of Kellie's Mo State team. In many ways, Belmont "deserved" to win in an effort overcoming talent regard. It's like the old Peanuts cartoon in which Charlie Brown excitedly describes the wild celebration of the winning crowd, going on and on about the uproar...and then soft-hearted Linus asks, in the last panel, "But what about the other team?"

So I couldn't help but feel bad for the sobbing, courageous Belmont players even as I felt relief and pride in our team for finding a way to win against a determined opponent who maximized their strengths. Great respect to Belmont and hope we take away some inspiration from Belmont's tenacity and use that against Louisville.

Last edited:
I hope the ladies learned the lesson last night that when you have a team on the ropes (like 14-15 down late in the 1st half) that you do not take your foot off of their neck. If you do, bad things can happen.

You need to "want to" much more than the people your are playing. I think this is the big equalizer when a team you should handle with some ease has more "want to" than you. "Want to" nearly bit our ladies in the hut last night and it did the men's program.

I know Key had a good game on paper, however what is wrong with her? This game and the previous game she has seemed disinterested to me. Or maybe "in a mood" but just doesn't seem quiet right to me.

Love the take charge attitude shown by a freshman at the end. She said "they had my back". Well it is a strong back that looks to me to be the foundation of a dominate team leader on and off court.

Key has been under a virtual magnifying glass re the zebras...she can't do anything without them calling her. She has to be frustrated. Refs can get caught up in trying to "help" the undersized foes and it hurt our gentle giants.

I have experienced this several times. In Atlanta I had a 14u team with two girls over 6'3"...I had to play many games with my bigs under a scrutinized guise. I had to work the refs harder in those games than I did in some close games, bc, if I didn't wage war on the stripes, they could shut down my player. Once I made known that she was getting unfair and biased calls,,,they began to dissipate and my two girls were better able to play.

Maybe this should go in the "game" thread, but I admit to having a little sadness for Belmont. They played so hard, hustled, never quit, came so close to pulling off the massive upset, reminding me so much of Kellie's Mo State team. In many ways, Belmont "deserved" to win in an effort overcoming talent regard. It's like the old Peanuts cartoon in which Charlie Brown excitedly describes the wild celebration of the winning crowd, going on and on about the uproar...and then soft-hearted Linus asks, in the last panel, "But what about the other team?"

So I couldn't help but feel badly for the sobbing, courageous Belmont players even as I felt relief and pride in our team for finding a way to win against a determined opponent who maximized their strengths. Great respect to Belmont and hope we take away some inspiration from Belmont's tenacity and use that against Louisville.

their fanbase and support was so impressive

Were playing with house money now everyone we meet going forward will be a higher seed. I really think we can beat Louisville if we get our A game from key players like Burrell, Dye, and maybe Darby has one of her good games. We'll be a huge underdog so hopefully we will have game that day and move on.

Key has had the same demeanor her entire career. That is just her. Given that she took over the game in the 2nd (or as much as any LV), she was far from disinterested.

The LVs did not take the foot off the pedal and I am confident they "wanted" it just as much Belmont. Unfortunately, the LVs can't shoot well enough to really put teams away on most nights. Particularly without Jordan H., they are an offensively challenged team. There were several plays where a LV missed a wide open 3 and long rebound went to Belmont which led to a transition basket. As a smaller team, they realized they could be quicker to the ball in scramble situations. Plus, the refs were letting them get away with a lot of contact. Actually, I am okay with how they called the game for the most part. They let it be physical but that an ugly game worked to the advantage of Belmont.

One thing this game showed was that Belmont beating Oregon was not a fluke.

Last edited:
The LVs did not take the foot off the pedal.

They did tho. I’m probably more happy than anyone that we won but let’s not revise history. Anyone being honest watching that game in the second half saw that Belmont played with more effort. They outworked the Lady Vols. They were physically overmatched but played with the type of heart that longtime fans like me are used to the lady vols exhibiting. I’m so very proud of Sara but our team hasn’t played with effort for 40 minutes all season. Starting in the 3Q we weren’t hustling, made lazy passes, complained after missed calls instead of hustling.

All that aside, the Lady Vols were the better team and EARNED that win! No doubt about it. We stepped up in the biggest moments. The issue is we lack on court leadership. Tell me who is the player who will call someone out during a game and get in her tail when she sees her teammate is lacking effort or taking plays off? I saw Sara growing into that role during huddles but she’s still learning herself.

Just an observation: The ball seemed to go off of Key's hands several times in the game. Could it be because she is constantly messing with her hair?

Just an observation: The ball seemed to go off of Key's hands several times in the game. Could it be because she is constantly messing with her hair?

Uh no but it could be from getting shoved in the back every time she leaves the floor to catch. Alexus had the same issue.

A lot of our turnovers against Buffalo were because of this. We would throw the pass and soon as the post player left their feet they were pushed in the low back and thrown off balance not reaching the height of their jump. Ball went oob several times because of it.

Not sure what everyone’s obsession with Tamari’s hair is suddenly. It’s been that way her entire career along with many other young women. Protective styles are great for black women in sports. Less maintenance and time. Would you rather she have a silk press and spend 3 hours in the bathroom everyday?

They did tho. I’m probably more happy than anyone that we won but let’s not revise history. Anyone being honest watching that game in the second half saw that Belmont played with more effort. They outworked the Lady Vols. They were physically overmatched but played with the type of heart that longtime fans like me are used to the lady vols exhibiting. I’m so very proud of Sara but our team hasn’t played with effort for 40 minutes all season. Starting in the 3Q we weren’t hustling, made lazy passes, complained after missed calls instead of hustling.

All that aside, the Lady Vols were the better team and EARNED that win! No doubt about it. We stepped up in the biggest moments. The issue is we lack on court leadership. Tell me who is the player who will call someone out during a game and get in her tail when she sees her teammate is lacking effort or taking plays off? I saw Sara growing into that role during huddles but she’s still learning herself.

Rae should be that leader, as the remaining senior on the floor, and the one who has been in the program the longest. Green provided the team with that kind of leadership, but she isn't on the floor any more. Hopefully, someone will step forward asap.

I really think Tamari Key being so foul prone has finally got into her head now that she won’t even contest some layups in fear they will call a foul on her. I also saw that she wasnt banging the glass part of that was Belmont center completely wrapping her arms around her but there were moments where she just wasn’t rebounding

VN Store

Back