Swamp roll call. Anybody besides me going?

Away travel has been trending down at The Swamp. The Gainesville Sun has been tracking this and the biggest away crowd we've had the last few years was Texas A&M. That's likely due to novelty since they had never been there. LSU fans no longer come in droves and Kentucky only sold 798 tickets to their historic upset win last year. Local businesses hate it, but it's the new reality. Honestly, Gainesville just isn't that special of a college town the way maybe Athens or Chapel Hill would be considered.

Tennessee has one of the great fan bases, not just in college football, but all of sport. Dick Vitale once said of Kentucky basketball fans that, if an announcement was made that the Cats would be playing a game in Siberia in 24 hours, Big Blue would still find a way to get there and fill the stands. I've always felt that applies to Tennessee fans in football, too (I would also put Nebraska fans in that category). If they feel like it, Big Orange can completely overtake a venue. That's why I don't really understand the Tennessee administration's tendency to seemingly be conservative and cheap in their management decisions. A fan base and brand like Tennessee football really should have a Sean McVay, Lincoln Riley type of "cutting edge" coach at the helm. You can afford to be more aggressive and get out on the leading edge when you have the base that Tennessee has.

I'm not really sure how many Tennessee fans will make the trip this weekend. With the recent struggles and noon start time, you can't really blame them for taking a pass. That said, once they get their program back to where they want it, I think the Tennessee fan base is one that will defy declining attendance trends and really make an impact in these road games. For younger SEC fans that have never experienced it, it will be an eye-opening experience to see so much of their home stadium awash in faded orange and the chorus of Rocky Top echoing throughout.

91 and 93 were easily the worst I’ve ever seen UF fans treat UT fans.

That said, UT fans who made the trip in ‘91 were easily the cockiest fan base I’d personally seen visit Gainesville at that point in time.

91 wasn’t the finest hour for either fan base.
That was really bad..Agreed..Never seen anything like that to this day ..Thank God..2001 was the most sportsmanlike I ever saw you guys

That was really bad..Agreed..Never seen anything like that to this day ..Thank God..2001 was the most sportsmanlike I ever saw you guys

1991 was like a giant gang fight where one gang had the other outnumbered 4-to-1, yet the undermanned gang still wanted to get after it. To this day I haven’t witnessed that many fan confrontations in Gainesville. It was madness.

I was too shell shocked to notice anything in 2001. I had airfare and hotel booked for Pasadena, and it all went up in flames.

It will be 90 degrees plus in a stadium with terrible seats, having to deal with redneck arrogant fla fans — no thanks! I’ll watch it on my 80 inch Samsung with plenty of jack and Sam Adams to dull the pain

I’ll be there. My sons arranged it back when we were good. It’ll be the 3 of us. Anyone else?
I won't be at the game, but i will be cloe to Gainesville on Saturday wearing my checkered overalls. If we win, I'm driving downtown.

Been to the Swamp twice. Not sure why I went back a second time. But yeah, see it once, check the box.

Away travel has been trending down at The Swamp. The Gainesville Sun has been tracking this and the biggest away crowd we've had the last few years was Texas A&M. That's likely due to novelty since they had never been there. LSU fans no longer come in droves and Kentucky only sold 798 tickets to their historic upset win last year. Local businesses hate it, but it's the new reality. Honestly, Gainesville just isn't that special of a college town the way maybe Athens or Chapel Hill would be considered.

Tennessee has one of the great fan bases, not just in college football, but all of sport. Dick Vitale once said of Kentucky basketball fans that, if an announcement was made that the Cats would be playing a game in Siberia in 24 hours, Big Blue would still find a way to get there and fill the stands. I've always felt that applies to Tennessee fans in football, too (I would also put Nebraska fans in that category). If they feel like it, Big Orange can completely overtake a venue. That's why I don't really understand the Tennessee administration's tendency to seemingly be conservative and cheap in their management decisions. A fan base and brand like Tennessee football really should have a Sean McVay, Lincoln Riley type of "cutting edge" coach at the helm. You can afford to be more aggressive and get out on the leading edge when you have the base that Tennessee has.

I'm not really sure how many Tennessee fans will make the trip this weekend. With the recent struggles and noon start time, you can't really blame them for taking a pass. That said, once they get their program back to where they want it, I think the Tennessee fan base is one that will defy declining attendance trends and really make an impact in these road games. For younger SEC fans that have never experienced it, it will be an eye-opening experience to see so much of their home stadium awash in faded orange and the chorus of Rocky Top echoing throughout.
I like the area outside of Gainesville, and wish I'd known it was gonna workout for me to be in that area this week, and i would've gotten tickets. We're spending a couple of days at Crystal river, and honeymoon island. We have friends in Trenton and chiefland, gonna spend Saturday with them watching the game. I really like that area, and fairly close to Gainesville.

Unfortunately, I can't make it. I have two tickets for sale in the club Section 513 Row 1 seats 3 and 4. Access to A/C, food, booze and nicer bathrooms.

Message me if you're interested!

Wow, I would have thought by the number of "We're going to win and Win Big", posts on this board alone, there would be a traffic jam coming out of Tennessee. Something isn't right here, I guess a lot of guys predicting the big win Saturday, just aren't posting about going, but they'll be there for sure-they're the real deal type fans.

I was at the Aubie-Florida game in 82 when Jim Gainey kicked a gw field goal at the end. We were visiting family down there, and that was before we played them regularly and before the folks became so obnoxious. I was there in 93 and 95 (the last time). Be careful and stay safe.

I was at the Aubie-Florida game in 82 when Jim Gainey kicked a gw field goal at the end. We were visiting family down there, and that was before we played them regularly and before the folks became so obnoxious. I was there in 93 and 95 (the last time). Be careful and stay safe.
93 and 95 here too.

I like the area outside of Gainesville, and wish I'd known it was gonna workout for me to be in that area this week, and i would've gotten tickets. We're spending a couple of days at Crystal river, and honeymoon island. We have friends in Trenton and chiefland, gonna spend Saturday with them watching the game. I really like that area, and fairly close to Gainesville.
Honeymoon Island is awesome

Reactions: joevol33
Maybe 06-07 but still that's a long time ago. 15 we were good I would say.
Agreed. We were so close to being undefeated or at least 11-1 that season. Butch just wasnt a good game day coach. We had no business losing to ou, arky, or fl. Had the games won then laid down. Had the chance to beat Bama too. Very disappointing.

Reactions: joevol33

VN Store

Back