Survival/ Prepping / EDC / Knives

What I haven't seen on these lists are floatation devices for crossing rivers.

Also have a evac helicopter service reserve for natural disasters. They are located about 1,000 miles away and should be here in about 24-48 hours. assuming they can get the reserved fuel supplies.
giphy (16).gif

Reactions: WeeohdeeWood
So, doomsday preppers living in Middle Tennessee are not being laughed at anymore. Tornado and COVID lockdowns in March, no toilet paper and other limited medical supplies, rioting and now a mini-EMP-like blast that shuts down cellphone service for one carrier...

2020 has been a hell of a year.
Where have you seen anything about it being an EMP?

It was a bomb that damaged AT&T equipment. Had nothing to with EMP (I have yet to see anything about it)

Wouldn't want to be in a chopper if a EMP were to hit.

Besides where I'm at I'm staying put or using a "Get Home Bag" to get back home.

Our big natural disaster will be an earthquake. One that will take out roads, bridges, dams and communications. Hence, having an off site chopper available is the best fastest way to get to a safe area with services.

What is an EMP? Electro magnetic pulse?

So, what's the consensus plan during a catastrophic event ? 99% of the population isn't prepared with enough people, guns, or bullets to hold their location.
Even if you have enough food and some weapons/bullets the raiders/pirates will find a way to take what you have. How many are really prepared to survive in the elements with their families?
I've thought alot on this and I dont want to live that existence. Can you imagine what would happen to the females in your family.
What's sad is civilization is on the razor's edge of falling into this type chaos at any moment. Look at the riots of 2020 over political issues. What happens if say trucking systems stop transporting food. Wouldn't take much to put people into full survival mode.

Reactions: norrislakevol
Our big natural disaster will be an earthquake. One that will take out roads, bridges, dams and communications. Hence, having an off site chopper available is the best fastest way to get to a safe area with services.

What is an EMP? Electro magnetic pulse?
yes on the EMP

Where have you seen anything about it being an EMP?

It was a bomb that damaged AT&T equipment. Had nothing to with EMP (I have yet to see anything about it)
I simply said "mini-EMP-like"... I didn't say it was an EMP. Relax. I was just suggesting that it did take out a major carriers communications.

Most bombs can do that in that situation....good job Sherlock
Goo d job with your reading comprehension. You clearly read "mini-EMP-like" as EMP. I specifically placed the "mini" and "like" in there to remove any doubt from most people's mind of what I was clearly saying.

Goo d job with your reading comprehension. You clearly read "mini-EMP-like" as EMP. I specifically placed the "mini" and "like" in there to remove any doubt from most people's mind of what I was clearly saying.
Except it wasn't like it in any sense...

Wouldn't want to be in a chopper if a EMP were to hit.

Besides where I'm at I'm staying put or using a "Get Home Bag" to get back home.

If I had to be in the air when a EMP hit, I would rather be in a "chopper" Helicopter, rather then an airplane of any sort. At least you can auto rotate to the ground and if done correctly can land in a much smaller area safely, where a airplane needs to glide into a long landing area. Again you've got to NOT land in trees and know what you're doing when you auto rotate.

I have guns and lots of ammo. That's all I need.
Sounds good, but in addition to weapons/ammo, I've stashed away emergency food, heirloom seeds, canning supplies, drinking water, heating oil, gas for the generator, iodine tablets, water filters, knives, fishing gear, paracord, and medical supplies/bandages...just to name a few.

Sounds good, but in addition to weapons/ammo, I've stashed away emergency food, heirloom seeds, canning supplies, drinking water, heating oil, gas for the generator, iodine tablets, water filters, knives, fishing gear, paracord, and medical supplies/bandages...just to name a few.
How much is too much? At what point do you make yourself a target or make yourself less mobile? I've assumed that if a SHT situation last more than 4 weeks, then we have bigger problems to worry about. It may mean having to leave the area (and leave behind a bunch of preps) or it could be that this drags on for months/years and you may run out of preps before the situation settles down anyways.

How much is too much? At what point do you make yourself a target or make yourself less mobile? I've assumed that if a SHT situation last more than 4 weeks, then we have bigger problems to worry about. It may mean having to leave the area (and leave behind a bunch of preps) or it could be that this drags on for months/years and you may run out of preps before the situation settles down anyways.
You need to consider multiple locations in a long term scenario. Hunker down at current, local bug out and then we also have a reach spot in NE TN if we can make the trip. Most stuff can be packed into the back of my truck quickly. Haven't gone overboard but enough to wait out any short term crisis.

You need to consider multiple locations in a long term scenario. Hunker down at current, local bug out and then we also have a reach spot in NE TN if we can make the trip. Most stuff can be packed into the back of my truck quickly. Haven't gone overboard but enough to wait out any short term crisis.
Oh, completely understand having a bugout location. I'm just asking how practical and realistic is it to think you can hunker down for more than 6-9 months without either govt patrols or bushwhackers or even neighbors running through your resources?

Oh, completely understand having a bugout location. I'm just asking how practical and realistic is it to think you can hunker down for more than 6-9 months without either govt patrols or bushwhackers or even neighbors running through your resources?
Well that's the real goal right? How to be self sufficient when all pre-packaged supplies have run out. That goes to your chosen loc and how good that is stocked, hidden and able to be defended. I'm much more confident if I can get to TN rather than FL but can make do. Very few in this country will get close to making it 9mos if shtf anyways

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
Well that's the real goal right? How to be self sufficient when all pre-packaged supplies have run out. That goes to your chosen loc and how good that is stocked, hidden and able to be defended. I'm much more confident if I can get to TN rather than FL but can make do. Very few in this country will get close to making it 9mos if shtf anyways

So... the government isn't coming to save us?

Now you're talking. Heirloom seeds and the knowledge of how to raise them and preserve them are critical for a long term tragedy event. Also understanding that if things get real bad there may not be electricity for days or weeks at times. Our ancestors buried and dried their food. Learn how to do that. I dug a potato clamp last year and was able to preserve potatoes, carrots, and onions all winter long buried under ground at the edge of my garden.

Remember that it takes 1 acre of properly rotated spring, summer, and fall crops to feed a family of 4 for a year.

This is a wonderful site to learn how to prep and grow and harvest heirloom vegetable seeds.

Grandpappy's Official Home Page | Robert Wayne Atkins, P.E.

VN Store

Back