Survival/ Prepping / EDC / Knives

Starting to look into building a bug out bag. Any suggestions on the bag and places to get items for it?

Starting to look into building a bug out bag. Any suggestions on the bag and places to get items for it?

eBay for the bag (Where I got both of mine)! I like Dollar Tree for a lot of stuff especially stuff for a first aid kit and of course Walmart/Target.

eBay for the bag (Where I got both of mine)! I like Dollar Tree for a lot of stuff especially stuff for a first aid kit and of course Walmart/Target.

What bags did you get?

Anybody have decent sites to check out for building a basic bag to keep in the back of my vehicle?

I'm thinking sort of a general emergency/first aid type bag.

That's hilarious. Would love to be a fly on the wall when he breaches the news to his hot wife :D

I have watched the last batch of shine video Popcorn made several times and am willing to run the still if that helps. Also, I can smell a copperhead from a good distance if you want someone to walk point.

I want to build one of those so bad,I know i can do it

but i'm afraid of jail time lol

I don't think the police would believe I made one just for distilled water :)

Same here. It must be the hillbilly DNA. I really want to try one.

Depends on what you pack, how many you're packing for and how far you need to go. Sorry for the ambiguous answer, but there have to be parameters established before giving better answers.

Most people tend to build a BOB around four items:

Food
Water
Shelter
Security

Food: pack what you eat and eat what you pack. It does you no good to buy a bunch of Mountain House when you just don't like the meal. A mix of main meals and easy to eat snack type foods is best. And a means of preparing said foods.

Water: both carried and a means of procuring more.

Shelter: both the ability to have a place out of the elements as well as clothing to survive depending on the season.

Security: is a lot of things. Can be weapons, a multi tool, first aid, maps, cash...pretty much anything that doesn't fall into the "can you eat, drink or wear it" category.

Just a place to start and give you some ideas.

One other thing...

When buying a bag, I've always lived by the rule buy once, cry once. Buy a well made pack that can stand up to the load you will carry. One thing I've seen is those that go cheap on a pack only to see it fail in the first two miles of a hike. And end up buying a better brand afterwards.

I have never had an issue with law enforcement. It did get a little nerve racking moving everything across 4 counties to the new farm. I was never worried in Sevier or Blount counties. Everyone knows my family and I would not have thought twice about loading the copper pot and thump keg in the farm truck and driving across town...:)

A friend at work bought a stainless steel 20gal still on line a few years back. He was contacted by the Feds asking questions and advising him he was "on the list". Not sure if I would have done that.

The little still seems to work ok. I helped him prep it and ran a test run using boxed wine through it. Showed him how to make a great mash using sweet horse feed.... Not sure if he has made a run with it or not.

Take care,

CH_V

Depends on what you pack, how many you're packing for and how far you need to go. Sorry for the ambiguous answer, but there have to be parameters established before giving better answers.

Most people tend to build a BOB around four items:

Food
Water
Shelter
Security

Food: pack what you eat and eat what you pack. It does you no good to buy a bunch of Mountain House when you just don't like the meal. A mix of main meals and easy to eat snack type foods is best. And a means of preparing said foods.

Water: both carried and a means of procuring more.

Shelter: both the ability to have a place out of the elements as well as clothing to survive depending on the season.

Security: is a lot of things. Can be weapons, a multi tool, first aid, maps, cash...pretty much anything that doesn't fall into the "can you eat, drink or wear it" category.

Just a place to start and give you some ideas.

Great information... as for ensuring a clean water source, I strongly recommend including several of these in your bugout bag.

LifeStraw Personal Water Filter - 618233, Filtration & Storage at Sportsman's Guide

You can drink out of most any water source. It filters 250gals.... I keep 2 in each bag.

Reactions: 1 person
What bags did you get?

Anybody have decent sites to check out for building a basic bag to keep in the back of my vehicle?

Hit the link I listed in my last post. They have good prices and most anything you might need.

This one is about to be for sale if anyone wants a real knife.

OzfXPlW.jpg

That will get you through anything short of a zombie apocalypse.

What bags did you get?
My First bag was a Maxpedition knockoff bag for like $30 bucks probably made in China or Mexico. No Name Brand on it! It serves its purpose for a small keep in the vehicle type bag.

The second and large main bag I wanted was a Maxpedition bag but I just couldn't justify the money for one right now so I settled on a Red Rock Outdoors Large Assault pack similar to this for around $60.

It has several small bags/pouches I got off ebay for $10-15 that I've added to it via the MOLLE webbing system.

When I got started I went to youtube and typed in "bug out bag" or "get home bag" you can pretty well sort through the good and bad videos.

Here are three I like and will give you a good idea on where to start. This guy has two different channels and is well worth a follow on youtube. IMO

Last edited:
My First bag was a Maxpedition knockoff bag for like $30 bucks probably made in China or Mexico. No Name Brand on it! It serves its purpose for a small keep in the vehicle type bag.

The second and large main bag I wanted was a Maxpedition bag but I just couldn't justify the money for one right now so I settled on a Red Rock Outdoors Large Assault pack similar to this for around $60.

It has several small bags/pouches I got off ebay for $10-15 that I've added to it via the MOLLE webbing system.

When I got started I went to youtube and typed in "bug out bag" or "get home bag" you can pretty well sort through the good and bad videos.

Here are three I like and will give you a good idea on where to start. This guy has two different channels and is well worth a follow on youtube. IMO

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBzRraMz5NM[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_OLFDyXcRM[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIPEUGhcmH4[/youtube]

Wow, got some work to do.

Thanks!

Anyone own/used a Mora (Morakniv) knife. I have heard great things about them as well as some bad but mostly good.

I bought one off eBay a couple of days ago for under $10 with free shipping. Haven't got it yet.

Anyone own/used a Mora (Morakniv) knife. I have heard great things about them as well as some bad but mostly good.

I bought one off eBay a couple of days ago for under $10 with free shipping. Haven't got it yet.

Won’t rust, strong, easy to sharpen but mine doesn’t hold an edge very well, I stay with 20 degree edge bevel for ease of sharpening and durability, you could go 18 for a sharper edge. For the money you cannot beat it, some Jude’s sheath makers have sheaths for the moras that work better than the one supplied . Should’ve bought 3 of em!

Won’t rust, strong, easy to sharpen but mine doesn’t hold an edge very well, I stay with 20 degree edge bevel for ease of sharpening and durability, you could go 18 for a sharper edge. For the money you cannot beat it, some Jude’s sheath makers have sheaths for the moras that work better than the one supplied . Should’ve bought 3 of em!

Thanks I got it yesterday and took it out envelope and immediately sliced through a sheet of paper cleanly with know snagging so its very sharp.

So for I really like it and it probably want be my last.

Something else to consider when choosing your "bug out" location or homestead, is how hidden it is, not only from the road, but also from the air. With the availability of drones now days, you want your location to be hidden as much as possible. Think about how visible it would be from air. Also, whatever structure you build for shelter, (cabin, house, tent, etc.) consider how to keep it as warm or cool as possible without electricity. Invest in solar panels, solar lights, etc. You should consider airflow through your structure and how to maximize it. One way is to build your structure facing north and south, with your front door and back door aligned to each other to create a breezeway. Also windows should be aligned. This concept was widely used in home design before the invention of air conditioning. Sometimes people overlook some of the easiest ways to improve simple issues.

Another aspect of location is who will be your neighbors. Strength in numbers can be very powerful.

I live in a middle class subdivision with half acre lots surrounded by both hardworking blue and white collars. I also could relocate to 30 acre working farm. For me the farm sounds like the logical choice until you take into account the neighbors. Lots of government teat freeloaders and meth addicts. I’ll take my chances with the neighbors I trust.

Anyone subscribed or know anyone who has subscribed to any of the monthly subscription boxes? Like BATTLBOX or Poor Man's Preparing Box or any of the others out there.

So, doomsday preppers living in Middle Tennessee are not being laughed at anymore. Tornado and COVID lockdowns in March, no toilet paper and other limited medical supplies, rioting and now a mini-EMP-like blast that shuts down cellphone service for one carrier...

2020 has been a hell of a year.
I’m afraid 2021 won’t be better. With the new strain of the virus that will eventually get here and a new president stepping in... I doubt it gets better.

Anybody know of anybody who builds or installs bunkers in east tennessee? We are getting ready to build a house on Cove Mountain in Wears Valley and I want a bunker with NBC protection, independent water and power.

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
What I haven't seen on these lists are floatation devices for crossing rivers.

Also have a evac helicopter service reserve for natural disasters. They are located about 1,000 miles away and should be here in about 24-48 hours. assuming they can get the reserved fuel supplies.

VN Store

Back