Surprise players for upcoming season

MississippiVol

Offensively, I am going with Cory Anderson. I think he just may have found his niche at the FB position. I also like the idea of having a 270 pounder in the backfield. Talk about knocking a LB on his caboose!

Defensively, I am going to say Jonathan Wade and Roshaun Fellows. I base Jonathan's ability on potential alone. With his speed, and being familiar with the position from his high school days, I think he could make us an excellent cover corner. I really like what I heard from the coaches about Roshaun in the spring. He is very fast, and seems to have good cover skills. He made Rick Clausen's life miserable during the spring. He may not start right off, but I guarantee you he will be right in the mix in the nickle and dime packages. Our secondary may drop off some this year, but with the young guys we have with possible signees for the 2005 class, I think our whole defense will be very, very strong for 2005.

I agree with you about Jonathan Wade. He is one of those speed guys that it just kills you to watch underachieve a la Leonard Scott. If the light ever comes on for him, his speed could make him dominant.

Offensively, I'm going with (praying for) CJ Leak. All he's got to do to be a surprise is just be average and not get us beat.

Those are some pretty good picks MississippiVol. I expect the two Juco's to make some noise but that is not a huge surprise. I think Tinsley could have a breakout senior year if we can find a way to get him involved. On defense maybe Turk McBride might surprise a few people.

I think a guy on offense to watch out for is Chris Hannon, at the end of the year he was playing his best football since getting to Tennessee so I look for big things from him this season. On Defense I look for Kevin Simon to leave his mark at Tennessee in a big way, I think the draft woke up alot of the players, in the way alot of them were passed over and only got free agent offers. Simon isnt gonna let that happen to him.

Excellent choice, Guys. I will also add Jared Hostetter. The coaches have been very impressed with his work ethic, and athleticism. Also, I think by year's end, Xavier "X-Man" Mitchell could be making a big splash at DE.

Chris Hannon is another good one. I think he has great natural talent. He has that build and just looks like he could be a great receiver. Hostetter is a guy who definitely has some ability as well but you have to wonder if they can find a place to get him very many reps.

Originally posted by GAVol@May 23, 2004 10:04 PM

Offensively, I'm going with (praying for) CJ Leak. All he's got to do to be a surprise is just be average and not get us beat.

I have a gut feeling that C.J. is going to surprise us all. He has been patient, hard-working, and has kept his mouth shut to the media. Everything I've heard or read about him suggests that he is an outstanding, upstanding young man. I HOPE he does become a breakout star. His time HAS to come. It might as well be now. Remember Tee Martin??

C.J. will do fine. And to tell the truth.........I think our next starting qb will be brent. i watched two films on him last night and one on ainge. I think C.J. will have a senior year like Tee did. He will make a fine transitional guy for the youth. Besides, it will make a great cover story for the Florida game. i think we have a really good chance to pick up some great players in the future by doing things such as the movement of the UNLV game to be on national television AND be the only game on that night. I think when its all said and done we will be able to think of C.J. as a guy that paid the price and had what was coming to him.....which was a chance. I think its a big factor that the crowd get involved and get behind him early.

VN Store

Back