Supreme Court to Hear Case of Fired Football Coach Who Prayed at 50-Yard-Line

So no coaches kneeled? Explain the line between political free speech and religious free speech.... or more accurately free Christian speech.... because if he'd laid out a prayer rug toward Mecca after each game I'm betting nobody brings a case.

The establishment clause is the line.

North Korea has a religion, the same religion too many Americans practice. State worship.
I can actually understand it in NK because there's a firing squad waiting for you if you don't worship the state. However, we as Americans have the choice but many of us, on both the right and the left, still obsequiously worship at the altar of the state. IMO, as a people, this makes us worse and opens up the possibility for a similar scenario to NK or China here in the future.

As long as dude doesn't make any one follow his religion, could he not argue free exercise?

I think we’ll get some clarification on that, but that’s essentially where the case breaks down. His free exercise is in tension with the establishment clause.

https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2021/07/19/20-35222.pdf

In Garcetti, the Court wrote that “[w]hen a citizen enters government service, the citizen by necessity must accept certain limitations on his or her freedom.” 547 U.S. at 418. One reason for this is that government employees “often occupy trusted positions in society,” id. at 419, (such as amentor to high school students, as Kennedy was). When a person in a trusted position “speak out, they can express views that contravene governmental policies or impair the proper performance of governmental functions.” Id. At bottom, “nderlying [the Court’s] cases has been the premise that while the First Amendment invests public employees with certain rights, it does not empower them to ‘constitutionalize the employee grievance.’” Id. at 420 (quoting Connick v. Thompson, 461 U.S. 138, 154 (1983)). Garcetti considered several factors: whether the employee speech was expressed internally or publicly, whether the speech concerned the subject matter of the employee’s job, and—most importantly—whether the speech was “made pursuant to his duties” as a public employee. Id. at 420–22. In subsequent cases, our circuit alternately phrased this last inquiry as whether “the speech at issue owes its existence to” the speaker’s government employment. Johnson v. Poway Unified Sch. Dist., 658 F.3d 954, 970 (9th Cir. 2011), cert. denied, 566 U.S. 906 (Mar. 26, 2012). 5[/S]

(I added emphasis to the part in bold).[/S]

Reactions: Sandman 423
Make a predicted vote outcome so we can see if your expertise ends up being correct.
I don’t have “expertise” on this case. I barely know what the issues are from skimming a few news articles and the 9th Circuit syllabus, and I’m not reading a 93 page opinion to figure out the facts, which it looks like the 9th Circuit couldn’t even agree on.

Gun to my head, I’d guess 6-3 for the appellant, but that doesn’t prove anything since that’s what basically everybody should be guessing in a religious liberty case, where four justices have already tipped their hand, and the remaining two are Roberts and Barrett.

Reactions: NEO
Good lord you have gotten off on a tangent. I don't want to send my kids to a Hillsdale charter school. I still pay for them. You don't want to send your kids to public school, then don't. You're still gonna pay for it, just like I'm paying for the charter school.
New to the internet? I was discussing private school versus public school, and you are the one that ran down the dirt road with charter schools.

New to the internet? I was discussing private school versus public school, and you are the one that ran down the dirt road with charter schools.
New to the internet? I was discussing religion in schools and you're the one that ran down the dirt road complaining about paying for public schools. I don't care to engage with your angry old man rant any longer.

Doesn’t Congress begin each term with an invocation? And each Presidential Inauguration?
I say we fire them to be consistent

If God is so powerless then why the praise?
If you wish to discuss this topic based on a sincere desire to learn and understand, then free will vs the sovereignty of God is a topic that has engaged the worlds best Theologians for thousands of years (for which I have no definitive answer either) and you fill find lots of fascinating opportunities for discussion. If you are skiing the question as a troll, why should either you or I waste precious time?
I recommend the last three chapters of Job if you want to hear the only response that really matters.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
If you wish to discuss this topic based on a sincere desire to learn and understand,
Oh I understand. I just find it humorous that the ones lamenting God's removal from school are the same clamoring to ban other subjects

Reactions: Rickyvol77
New to the internet? I was discussing religion in schools and you're the one that ran down the dirt road complaining about paying for public schools. I don't care to engage with your angry old man rant any longer.
LOL

iu

So is the right. Neither truly wants a diverse education
I can’t speak for other conservatives, but I’ve got a WHOLE BIG STACK of books I want kids to read. They can start with the two currently on my reading table: The Federalist Papers and The Road to Serfdom.
Then the Iliad, The Histories of Herodatus, and Milton’s Paradise Lost.
Wrap up their semester with a big dose of Atlas Shrugged

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol

VN Store

Back