Sugarvols: Entire Game

XknoxvolsX

The only people who dislike winners are losers!
Over the years I have searched youtube for this game. It was posted about three weeks ago and I have just now found it.

This game is what cemented me as a VFL! I can remember where I was, what I was doing and how I felt when Jeff Powell roared down the field in the Superdome.

Enjoy my fellow Volnation'ers!

Over the years I have searched youtube for this game. It was posted about three weeks ago and I have just now found it.

This game is what cemented me as a VFL! I can remember where I was, what I was doing and how I felt when Jeff Powell roared down the field in the Superdome.

The 1985 Johnny Majors coached Tennessee Vols were one of my all time favorite teams, this team had more grit and moxie than many Vol teams with better records, Talk about Tennesse Pride, this Team had it in spades!
Go Vols

I watched it in a sports bar in Clarksville. Needless to say, I was glued to the TV the whole game. It was pretty special.

Reactions: AM64
Thank you for this find.
I had that on a VHS tape that I personally recorded but lost it over the years.

Reactions: joevol33
That was my favorite Tennessee game ... hands down. The off the field highlight was watching Keith Jackson eat his words ... it was definitely a blowout ... just not the one he expected and predicted to happen. Daryl Dickey looked lost in his jersey but played like a champ; the team looked like giant killers, and seemed to live in the Miami backfield. It's one huge reason that I've always considered the defense to be the key to football regardless of the way most people are addicted to offense today.

Reactions: feathersax

I got a bad feeling about this one... Miami 7 Vols 0 early,

I was there . I went with my rugby playing roommate and we made up a cheer going into the Superdome, “Hot boudin, cold French bread, c’mon Vinnie give me head”. Ended up with a 50 yard line ticket and was sitting behind Lamar Alexander and Al Gore . Everybody was having a rockin good time. [VIDEO=][/VIDEO]

Reactions: AM64

Watched it! This should be mandatory for all here and even for the incoming Vol players. This is how football is played, coached and executed. This azz whipping was no accident.

I loved the 60 yd run by Powell... broke some backs with that run.
Steve White... one of my favorites that season, he had a nose for the ball and had a great year.
This team had coaching up the wazzzoooo... not seen again until the NC year.

We need to get back to this level of intensity. Makes the hires of Dooley and Butch more of a misery.

Awesome. Thanks man. I was 8, l remember watching it like it was yesterday though.

Oh, THAT game! Wife, 5-year old son & reveled in this VOL victory. Upset? Yes...Keith Jackson & other Tennessee haters. Met my cousin on Bourbon St. after the game; his take: "Wonder if Testaverde will take up tennis?":cool:

Was that the worst ass kicking Miami received during the “U” era? They sure don’t speak of it in those movies.. That and the time we broke their record home win streak.
Miami's 11-1 1983 National Championship team lost in Gainesville to 9-2-1 Florida 28-3 and in 1984 Miami lost to 7-3-2 FSU 38-3 in Miami. Those two games were the worst regular season losses that Miami had during the 1983-1994 era. The worst Bowl Game losses Miami ever had was the 29-0 loss to Arizona in the 1994 Fiesta Bowl and the 26-0 loss to Bucknell in the 1935 Orange Bowl.

Last edited:
Reactions: AM64 and MAD
Lived in Baton Rouge then. Went to the game, then came home and watched it all again. Didn’t get to bed until about 5am. Couldn’t have slept anyway if I’d gone to bed first. An amazing night.

Reactions: feathersax and AM64

VN Store

Back