Sugarvols: Entire Game

One memory I keep having of that game is a puzzling Fulmer-like decision Majors made. We stopped them on third down and there was a holding penalty on Miami. Decline and it's fourth and long. Majors took the penalty and we sacked Testaverde on the third down do-over. He barely had time to set up and he was swarmed. It's like Majors knew all along there was no way we weren't going to sack him.

Reactions: Evergrenevol
Ken Donahue had that defense ready! Seems that during Majors' tenure, we were a finesse team. Then, after that Penn State beating, we becme a more physical team.

Reactions: Evergrenevol
Ken Donahue had that defense ready! Seems that during Majors' tenure, we were a finesse team. Then, after that Penn State beating, we became a more physical team.
I would disagree. The Cobb/Webb years were definitely not finesse. Also, UT always had a very physical O-line. Remember the Johnny Jones years? If you are referring to the Fiesta Bowl, in 1992, Turnovers and pick 6's beat us. We were up 17-7, in the 3rd quarter, and methodically picking them apart. Then we fell apart. When PSU beat our ass in the Citrus Bowl, we tried to be too cute with them. Fulmer wanted to feature his Heisman Candidate QB. We should've just kept doing what got us there. Balance. It was a balanced Nittany Lion attack that beat us. Coach Paterno was very good at preparing for games. Give him a month to prepare and........well, he showed Fulmer who was boss. Phil learned a large lesson, that day. No one picked PSU to even be in the game. It was all about Heath Shuler and the high scoring Tennessee Vols. Joe played it smart. Didn't turn it over. Kicked them deep. Made them drive the length of the field. Even after UT was up 10-0, quickly, he never panicked or swayed from the game plan. Great coach.

Over the years I have searched youtube for this game. It was posted about three weeks ago and I have just now found it.

This game is what cemented me as a VFL! I can remember where I was, what I was doing and how I felt when Jeff Powell roared down the field in the Superdome.

Enjoy my fellow Volnation'ers!

This is the style of defense That Pruitt wants. Swarming, relentless, fast, evil, and smart. Force turnovers, wreak havoc! Miami couldn't even line up correctly, lol. Complete and utter confusion. Loved it! 4 interceptions. 2 or 3 fumble recoveries. Guys jumping early. Forced timeouts. Just a freaking Chinese Fire Drill. So funny!

Reactions: AM64
Ken Donahue had that defense ready! Seems that during Majors' tenure, we were a finesse team. Then, after that Penn State beating, we becme a more physical team.
Penn State in the January 1994 Citrus Bowl and Nebraska in the January 1998 Orange Bowl and January 2000 Fiesta Bowl pounded Tennessee physically

This is the style of defense That Pruitt wants. Swarming, relentless, fast, evil, and smart. Force turnovers, wreak havoc! Miami couldn't even line up correctly, lol. Complete and utter confusion. Loved it! 4 interceptions. 2 or 3 fumble recoveries. Guys jumping early. Forced timeouts. Just a freaking Chinese Fire Drill. So funny!

Play defense right and the offense gets so screwed up that a HS team could beat them.. Offense is choreographed ... defense is about being smart, relentless, and having a good set of backup players to keep things going ... absolutely have to have quality depth on defense. Stuff Butch never even came close to figuring out.

Reactions: kbear01
Play defense right and the offense gets so screwed up that a HS team could beat them.. Offense is choreographed ... defense is about being smart, relentless, and having a good set of backup players to keep things going ... absolutely have to have quality depth on defense. Stuff Butch never even came close to figuring out.
Agreed. Depth of talent, on defense. We will get there. Eventually. Botch had no clue about defense, or winning the war, in the trenches.

This is my favorite game ever as a Vols fan.

Heard later than Donahue's film study found that Miami's center would line up slightly different on run plays and pass plays. Dale Jones look at how the center was lined up and he would call out an animal that could fly if it was a pass or animal that couldn't fly if it was a run.

Also, Vol fans absolutely took over New Orleans and the Superdome. It was as loud of an away/bowl game I've heard.

Like an earlier poster I was also at this game and what I remember most was the arrogance of the Miami fans as we walked into the stadium. Tennessee fans outnumbered Miami fans by 3 to 1 or more and this one Miami woman remarked to her husband that there were sure a lot of Tennessee fans and her ahole husband told her and everyone within shouting distance "don't worry honey they'll all be gone by halftime"!

Of course we all know how it turned out and it was the Miami fans who were streaming out of the stadium at halftime and later that night you couldn't find a Miami fan on Bourbon Street ... I loved it!

The rack on the Miami flaggirl at halftime is worth seeing. Simply amazing. ABC got you two shots of it.

The penn state beating in the Fiesta Bowl had nothing to do with physicality. The team basically quit at halftime. Tennessee dominated the first half but uproar in locker room at halftime ruined it.

The rack on the Miami flaggirl at halftime is worth seeing. Simply amazing. ABC got you two shots of it.

Penn State in the January 1994 Citrus Bowl and Nebraska in the January 1998 Orange Bowl and January 2000 Fiesta Bowl pounded Tennessee physically
Those games first two games convinced me that we were not ready for elite status. I think Al Wilson unilaterally made the 1998 team something different. Despite our “pound the rock” offense, AW made all that irrelevant. He leaves and there we are again in 2000 getting our asses handed to us. Fulmer owes a lot to that man.

Grown men playing football in this game.

Broyles southern accent is really distracting. lol
No kidding about Broyles's accent. When he first said Cooper's name, it sounded like "Cup-uh". I had no idea who he was talking about for a bit.

That game was a little before my time (I was born in 87) but my dad made sure I knew about that one. I saw it for the first time when I was 8 or 9. My dad had an old VHS copy of it that had written on it: "Sugar Bowl. Erase under penalty of death!"

VN Store

Back