Sugar Bowl: #2 Clemson v #3 Ohio St (ESPN, 8PM EST)

So after today’s two blowouts, we’ve had three competitive semifinals in seven years. So clearly we need to expand the playoffs to get more of these high quality matchups.

If you don't like watching them, there is a simple solution. Click.
I like them because I think it helps insure the best 2 teams play for the championship.

That's insane. There are over 100 FBS teams. If you had a 64 team playoff, the only thing that changes is that you don't personally know anybody who pulls for the 65th team. There will always be the same number of teams bitching.

There has never been a need for all 4 slots. That's just how it is. They can fill 64, but they don't need 4.
Need 16 to restore some parity by cracking the monopoly that a handful of programs have on elite prospects.

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
That’s exactly my point. If the playoff committee is struggling to find four deserving teams, which in most years they are, why would expansion be a good idea? It just further dilutes the product.

You do have a point but I think the more teams you have increases interest for the students at the various schools.
It is like basketball, you could argue it dilutes the product to have more than 4 or 8 teams in the tourney but the overall student interest would really drop. Look at the number of 1st, 2nd round blowouts there are. I think those schools are still glad they had the opportunity to compete.
I am not advocating for 32 or 64 team football playoff but certainly more than a 2 team playoff that may or may not have the 2 best teams playing.

Reactions: miket4god
What kind of happy juice are they giving these guys when they go into the " tent" ? At a minimum Fields has bruised ribs. If you've ever had this injury you know how painful it is just to breath. A few plays later and he's playing like superman with little noticable pain. I found it interesting at the break, Day when asked about Fields he responded with " well he's got to play another half"

Reactions: Border Vol
What kind of happy juice are they giving these guys when they go into the " tent" ? At a minimum Fields has bruised ribs. If you've ever had this injury you know how painful it is just to breath. A few plays later and he's playing like superman with little noticable pain. I found it interesting at the break, Day when asked about Fields he responded with " well he's got to play another half"
Justin Fields is a tough quarterback and a darn good one.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
That's insane. There are over 100 FBS teams. If you had a 64 team playoff, the only thing that changes is that you don't personally know anybody who pulls for the 65th team. There will always be the same number of teams bitching.

There has never been a need for all 4 slots. That's just how it is. They can fill 64, but they don't need 4.
We would have less teams bitching about possibility being the best team in the country if it was expanded to 8 teams.

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
So, your case for going to 8 includes a 3 loss Florida team? I'll pass.
I think I can make an argument for an 8 team playoff that it would be more compelling than what our current format is giving us. I think for the long term benefit of the sport it needs to happen.

Lol. Bama ain’t beating OSU by 30. They only beat ND by 17.
I was exaggerating but OSU has only played well in one game if they go back to how they played the rest of the season yes Bama wins by 30. Either way I think they win comfortably

A 3 loss Florida team is probably better than a 1 loss ND team. At least they would have been more.competitive.
I would’ve taken a full strength Florida team over Notre Dame. Hell I think Ole Miss would’ve kept it at least a one score game against them.

VN Store

Back