Strange seeing such a big guy at RB...

Hurd leaving has nothing to do with my statement and I don't blame him for leaving but he was not a runner that was hard to bring down. I can't think of him really breaking that many tackles but it has been a few years
I remember him running over Lb’s and especially Db’s often. He just didn’t have the breakaway ability you thought he would have with his reported 40 time.

Reactions: ProudVOLfan
Tacklers avoided him as much as possible. The only back I've seen that ran more angry was Jamal, or Amsler.
I can’t recall Amsler, but Jamal was a steam roller for sure! I think Hurd would have won that contest his Senior year though.

Reactions: kbear01
I can’t recall Amsler, but Jamal was a steam roller for sure! I think Hurd would have won that contest his Senior year though.
No and no. Greg Amsler was a FB, built like a Mack Truck, with a LB's mentality, and enough athletic ability to hurdle 6'3" tacklers. He knocked Keith McCants unconscious......UNCONSCIOUS!! And Jamal was way more aggressive/angry, before he gained weight, and his injury, and after he went into the NFL, in my opinion. But, you really need to look up some Greg Amslers runs and blocks.

No and no. Greg Amsler was a FB, built like a Mack Truck, with a LB's mentality, and enough athletic ability to hurdle 6'3" tacklers. He knocked Keith McCants unconscious......UNCONSCIOUS!! And Jamal was way more aggressive/angry, before he gained weight, and his injury, and after he went into the NFL, in my opinion. But, you really need to look up some Greg Amslers runs and blocks.
Amsler and Poles was one of the best FB tandems in college football all time. I will never forget that run by Amsler in the Sugar Bowl against UVA.

He caught the ball in high school some too. Catches it effortlessly. Big soft hands.
He played QB. Which means he's used to handling the football and has the feel of it.
Played basketball so he knows how to position his body to shield defenders away. Was a monster rebounder. He can jump out the gym and he's 6'5.
That's why he's so fast too. He has explosive muscle memory. He's a freak.

6'5 230 40 inch Vertical 4.4 40 yard dash.
Holy chit!!

Reactions: LittleVol

I’m not sure what the debate was anymore...
I watched this. He really gets downhill... but he did end a lot of plays on the turf...

Then I watched Hurd’s... https://youtu.be/7XCF-j0QA9 ... just seems more impressive...

The uniforms were much bigger back then, but Amsler seems bigger throughout the legs for certain.

One thing to note is I said I felt Hurd would have won that contest his senior year had he stayed at RB, as he got bigger every year.

Still Butch should have played Hurd at TE and Kamara at RB.

Reactions: kbear01

VN Store

Back