Strange personal stories

You must have grown up close to where my Grandparents lived off Harpeth Bend Drive in West Nashville? Didn't know a kid named Stevie Austin did you?
Temple Hills golf course. Davidson/Williamson border. Name doesn’t ring a bell

Temple Hills golf course. Davidson/Williamson border. Name doesn’t ring a bell
About 4 miles away in Belle Meade. Stevie was the next door neighbor and a kid I played with when I was visiting. He was a big golfer as were my grandparents. Small world.

They lived there for 25-30 years but Im gonna say they retired and moved to Noga when I was in college in the mid -late 80s. I think stevie's parents got divorced and moved in early 80s. Picture if you will the 70s when we were kids and his name was Steve Austin (6 million $ man) but mom called him Stevie which he hated lol.

Reactions: peaygolf
They lived there for 25-30 years but Im gonna say they retired and moved to Noga when I was in college in the mid -late 80s. I think stevie's parents got divorced and moved in early 80s. Picture if you will the 70s when we were kids and his name was Steve Austin (6 million $ man) but mom called him Stevie which he hated lol.
Ugh..... I was there 85-88 when I was at BGA
May have run into him at some time

Reactions: bag12day
After my military obligation was completed
I was a Nam Vet
civilian-putting-hat-over-his-heart-to-salute-the-flag-picture-id72399595

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Decades ago, I played coed rec league softball with a pick-up team largely comprised of folks who worked in financial services. One game, we were up against a team of ringers - competitive league players, half from a women's team, half from a men's team. That game, I was playing short stop. The woman batting first for the opposing team got on with a single. The second batter hit the ball between first and second. The play was to second, and I was covering. I'm waiting with the ball as the runner from first approaches. She knows she's out and lets up, walks up to me and presses her chest up against my outstretched mitt, hard stare, eye to eye. There's a series of loud blasts from the ump's whistle. He trots up to me and ejects me from the game for "tagging the woman high (at her breasts)." My protests that she walked into the tag will not be heard. From the dugout steps, with a closed lips smile, she tips her hat to me as I leave the field.

I don’t remember all the details, but let’s just say Bobby Knight didn’t have anything on Slice when it came to throwing chairs across the court.

To be fair that chair was kicked and not thrown.

And it was really all your fault.
This was the 2nd time we played that team and in the first game you hit a jumper at the buzzer for the win.
Tensions were already high

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
How many decades ago was this exactly? I've ump'd softball/baseball from 8 years old, to College Baseball to Team USA Baseball & I've never used a whistle. I've never seen or heard of a whistle being used for softball or baseball

It was a league for the blind.

How many decades ago was this exactly? I've ump'd softball/baseball from 8 years old, to College Baseball to Team USA Baseball & I've never used a whistle. I've never seen or heard of a whistle being used for softball or baseball
Rusty is so old, this game was played before softball was even invented.

Reactions: Guest
To be fair that chair was kicked and not thrown.

And it was really all your fault.
This was the 2nd time we played that team and in the first game you hit a jumper at the buzzer for the win.
Tensions were already high

If it makes you feel any better slice, i got thrown out of a rec league game and made to leave the gym at 13 or 14yo...and my stepdad was the asst coach. Lol. We won, i scored 8 or 10pts which was a little above my average...but it was ugly.

At that age i was one of the bigger kids on my team so i played the 4 (pf) this team had huge center and forwards. After i got a couple buckets down low, they started fouling me every time down court. Just pushing me or elbowing me off the blocks..so i realized the refs were gonna let WWF wrestling go on every posession. Didnt go over so well, so i started doing the same thing ever time at the other end of the court. We had a 14 yo guy on our team that was from the hood and a friend of mine. He was 6 ft 1 but could dunk, that's big ups for a white boy. Grades kept him from playing school ball. Named Duane. Well next trip dowm court i caught a elbow to the mouth...wasnt having that so i stuck the guy with a straight right hand. Brawl ensues, duane beat their center half to death, i too ended up throwing chairs and was made to leave the "facility". Only time my stepdad was ever that pissed at me. He was embarrassed, and hes a little dude looking back, so he was probably scared. We laughed about it for years as i had a couple of my buddies from school on the team as well. Turns out i was nearly full grown at 14 years old. I was 5ft10 about 150lbs..i am 41 now and just finally got to 175lbs by staying in the gym. Weird.

No one had/has ever blown a whistle at me before or since. Our ump was a soft-spoken eighty-something year old who took umbrage at my "disrespect" in tagging a female player at her chest (even though she walked up to me and pressed her chest into my gloved hand). I believe he used a whistle that day to command the attention of beer-in-the-dugout rec league players who did not perceive an egregious foul worthy of ejection and weren't paying the ump any mind.

Decades ago, I played coed rec league softball with a pick-up team largely comprised of folks who worked in financial services. One game, we were up against a team of ringers - competitive league players, half from a women's team, half from a men's team. That game, I was playing short stop. The woman batting first for the opposing team got on with a single. The second batter hit the ball between first and second. The play was to second, and I was covering. I'm waiting with the ball as the runner from first approaches. She knows she's out and lets up, walks up to me and presses her chest up against my outstretched mitt, hard stare, eye to eye. There's a series of loud blasts from the ump's whistle. He trots up to me and ejects me from the game for "tagging the woman high (at her breasts)." My protests that she walked into the tag will not be heard. From the dugout steps, with a closed lips smile, she tips her hat to me as I leave the field.
She wanted you man..... and you failed to launch

Reactions: joevol33

VN Store

Back