stock market was up today...

If there is any doubt that Congress puts lobbyists and the insurance industry's interests before those of the people, read this by VFL David Moon:

http://www.mooncap.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/A-Look-at-Variable-Annuities.pdf
I had a choice when I retired between taking a monthly payout or a lump sum, most of my coworkers took the lump sum, I took the monthly payout. I had already saved a substantial pile of cash and had no desire to try and figure out how to convert an even bigger pile of cash to a monthly payment. Maybe I was right or maybe I was wrong, but the one thing I don't have to do is ever worry about the stock market again.

I had a choice when I retired between taking a monthly payout or a lump sum, most of my coworkers took the lump sum, I took the monthly payout. I had already saved a substantial pile of cash and had no desire to try and figure out how to convert an even bigger pile of cash to a monthly payment. Maybe I was right or maybe I was wrong, but the one thing I don't have to do is ever worry about the stock market again.

Annuitizing a lump sum / buyout is a good choice for those that expect to outperform the actuarial tables. Some variable annuities are a lot like the opposite of life insurance. The insurance companies want people that they sell life insurance policies to live for a long, long time to delay the payout. They want people that buy some flavors of variable annuities to die off quickly.

Last edited:
It's a similar decision whether or not to delay the start of Social Security payments for a few years in order to take a larger amount per month.

Also, some employers that still had defined benefits plans (traditional pensions) have been offering lump sum payments instead. That's a good idea when interest rates are low. The actuarial tables calculate a higher lump sum buyout and if the employee takes monthly payments, they could die quickly and the payments end. It's not a bad idea to take those lump sums and put them in high quality companies that pay a solid dividend.

Long term gains (and interest) relative to an inflation index should be excluded from taxable income. But encouraging citizens to invest is just a scheme to redistribute wealth to the rich... amiright?
Government herding people's money into the stock market--what could go wrong?

This Hedge Fund Manager beat Buffett by 200x...

I had never heard of the Medallion Fund (makes sense, given its exclusivity). The annual returns of 39% over 30 years are mind blowing.

This investment has beaten Warren Buffett by 200X over the past 30 years — but good luck grabbing a piece of it
Didn't Madoff do something similar? Feel free to invest in this juggernaut if you want though, my guess is this guy will appear in "American Greed" in the near future.

Didn't Madoff do something similar? Feel free to invest in this juggernaut if you want though, my guess is this guy will appear in "American Greed" in the near future.
Lol... figured this would get a response from you, being one of the more vocal blind Buffet followers.

This is a legitimate Hedge Fund, one that has been operating for over 30 years. Madoff ran a Ponzi scheme.

But by all means, shriek and recoil over that which you do not understand...

Lol... figured this would get a response from you, being one of the more vocal blind Buffet followers.

This is a legitimate Hedge Fund, one that has been operating for over 30 years. Madoff ran a Ponzi scheme.

But by all means, shriek and recoil over that which you do not understand...
Hey, if you can get in and make that kind of money more power to you! I just have a lifetime of skepticism and seeing fraud to think that if something is too good to be true, it probably is.

Hey, if you can get in and make that kind of money more power to you! I just have a lifetime of skepticism and seeing fraud to think that if something is too good to be true, it probably is.
You can’t get into it. It’s for employees only.

But you would know that if you had actually read it instead of going straight into shriek and recoil mode. 😉

You can’t get into it. It’s for employees only.

But you would know that if you had actually read it instead of going straight into shriek and recoil mode. 😉
What exactly is your point in touting this "fund" anyway? You're not in it, you can't get in it and no one here can either. All you're saying is there is a future potential "Madoff" fund on the horizon. I hope you prove me wrong but I doubt it because over the next few years these guys will get exposed when their high frequency trading falters.

What exactly is your point in touting this "fund" anyway? You're not in it, you can't get in it and no one here can either. All you're saying is there is a future potential "Madoff" fund on the horizon. I hope you prove me wrong but I doubt it because over the next few years these guys will get exposed when their high frequency trading falters.
More lolz. Now you’re just throwing darts in the dark. Absolutely no clue what you’re talking about.

This fund has been cleaning up for over 30 years. It’s not a function of “high frequency” trading. And it’s actually negatively correlated with the market.

You just hate on things you don’t understand, things that don’t fit your carved in stone world view.

The fact that you post 'wut' to this proposal shows how completely ignorant you are about investing and saving. When do you expect to be able to 'retire'. Just curious. I could have retired 5 years ago. I'm still having a blast.

However, since 47 some odd percent of Americans don't pay any taxes anyway, it is somewhat meaningless, I'll give you that.

The fact that you post 'wut' to this proposal shows how completely ignorant you are about investing and saving. When do you expect to be able to 'retire'. Just curious. I could have retired 5 years ago. I'm still having a blast.

However, since 47 some odd percent of Americans don't pay any taxes anyway, it is somewhat meaningless, I'll give you that.

I don't think that liberals understand what investing and saving are at their core. They only see it as accumulation of wealth by rich people and don't seem to understand that it's providing capital for the purpose of creating goods and services. Jobs are created. Revenue (taxes) for governments are generated.

No,costing me a lot of $. More a reflection of coronavirus
Odds we have a panicked "NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!!!" tweet from Trump in the next two hours?

ERjAxEjW4AEv8w7

VN Store

Back