Stock Market Jeeters vs Tennessee Football fallout (Corona Crash).

An article from NY Times (which I do NOT subscribe to):

“Which virus makes you sicker?

As of Feb. 22, in the current season there were at least 32 million cases of flu in the United States, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 flu deaths, according to the C.D.C. Hospitalization rates among children and young adults this year have been unusually high.

There would be even more illnesses and deaths if there were no flu vaccine. Most people recover in less than two weeks, and sometimes in just days.

By contrast, about 200 people in the United States have been infected with the new coronavirus, and there have been at least 12 deaths. There are no treatments or vaccines for the coronavirus, only supportive care for infected people.

Most cases of coronavirus infection are not severe, but some people do become quite sick. Data from the largest study of patients to date, conducted in China, suggests that of coronavirus patients receiving medical attention, 80 percent had mild infections, about 15 percent had severe illnesses, and 5 percent were critical.”

So, we have 18,000 flu deaths, and 12 coronavirus deaths (mostly in people over age 80), and the stock market is tanking, hm, wonder why.

And for those doing the math - death rate of the average flu bug versus coronavirus is EXACTLY the same at 6% !!!

The market is still where it was for most of 2019. The fear hasn't really settled in yet. Once we drop another 10% or so, then things will get really interested

And for those doing the math - death rate of the average flu bug versus coronavirus is EXACTLY the same at 6% !!!

From same NY Times article:

“Early estimates of the coronavirus death rate from China, the center of the outbreak, were about 2 percent. But a new report on 1,099 cases from many parts of China, published on Friday in The New England Journal of Medicine, finds a lower rate: 1.4 percent.

In a speech earlier this week, Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the World Health Organization, asserted that the global case fatality rate for people infected with coronavirus was 3.4 percent, a startling figure.

W.H.O. officials later clarified that Dr. Tedros’s figure was a crude “snapshot” based on incomplete data and heavily skewed by the intensity of the outbreak in Wuhan, China.”

As of Feb. 22, in the current season there were at least 32 million cases of flu in the United States, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 flu deaths, according to the C.D.C. Hospitalization rates among children and young adults this year have been unusually high.

There would be even more illnesses and deaths if there were no flu vaccine. Most people recover in less than two weeks, and sometimes in just days.

By contrast, about 200 people in the United States have been infected with the new coronavirus, and there have been at least 12 deaths. There are no treatments or vaccines for the coronavirus, only supportive care for infected people.

Most cases of coronavirus infection are not severe, but some people do become quite sick. Data from the largest study of patients to date, conducted in China, suggests that of coronavirus patients receiving medical attention, 80 percent had mild infections, about 15 percent had severe illnesses, and 5 percent were critical.”

So, we have 18,000 flu deaths, and 12 coronavirus deaths (mostly in people over age 80), and the stock market is tanking, hm, wonder why.
The biggest and most important difference is that we have vaccines to help prevent influenza. I realize that the efficacy of influenza vaccine varies from year to year because of the mutation of the virus and the strains of the virus which are circulating. Only about 65% of the population chooses to be vaccinated against influenza each year which results in the high numbers of cases and an average of 65,000 premature deaths from influenza each year in the U. S. We do not yet have a vaccine for the COVID-19 and are likely not to have one until late Fall/early Winter this year. Another factor is we do not yet know very much about the epidemiology of COVID-19 which makes us feel more vulnerable to the virus. We don't yet have the opportunity to interrupt the transmission of this virus and again, we panic. I suspect that when we have the vaccine in adequate supplies and better understand the virus, much of the panic will be history. In the meantime, stay away from crowds, wash your hands, and get as much exercise as possible to maintain a healthy immune system.

Kneejerk, the sky if falling type of thread start. We have a leader on top of things, just pray and everything will be fine. 2009 over 1000 died with the swine flu. This is not as deadly, in fact it impacts the elderly and people that already have a lot of health problems more than anyone else. We have leaders and a country that is the best equipped. We have been ahead of this overall and folks should quit trying to play politics with this. Folks should use common sense, wash your hands maybe put off the over seas trip or cruise for now. But there is no reason to go all crazy thinking and assuming the worst when all the people at the top are saying be careful but carry on. And as far as the market, please like the post in front mine the stock market has survived a hell of a lot worse than this. GBO!

Stopped reading at “we have a leader on top of things”!

Here in MD they have confirmed 3 cases in the county I work in. Talk about everyone freaking out. The cost to UT may come in attendance if it does get bad, but as someone already pointed out, it's a long way til September. However, it may affect March madness attendance. It is affecting attendance everywhere at this point. And travel has been hit the worst. No one wants to fly or take a bus because of the risk. I will not make light of it. As we don't know how and who it may affect. I hope all my fellow Vol fans take heed to the warnings and take care of your families. Go Vols.

The Athletic Department has a better chance of catching a Staph infection than the Corona Virus... UT doesn't have a wrestling team so Staph infections should be pretty low....Although Fulkerson seems to get tussled pretty good in the paint....

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo

A mortality rate of about 2% with COVID vs 0.1% with flu. Flu is more prevalent so of course there are more deaths. The concern is how this virus is spreading, and that we have never seen this virus before in human history. If this becomes wide spread it could be very problematic . You re right that most have mild symptoms and will recover but that is precisely why it will be hard to contain and why it will continue to pose a risk to the most vulnerable, because asymptotic or minimally symptomatic people will keep spreading it.
Thankfully we have a great infectious disease response infrastructure in this country and are working on targeted therapy and vaccines but that will take time. It would be great if funding for such programs hadn’t been cut recently....
I don’t think anyone or any group is conspiring to bringing the market down...that has far more to do with disrupted labor markets and supply chains overseas.

Yes, some criticism has been political, but being dismissive of all criticism on how this has been handled is also a political slant, and it’s putting your head in the sand

Reactions: GlennTenn
A mortality rate of about 2% with COVID vs 0.1% with flu. Flu is more prevalent so of course there are more deaths. The concern is how this virus is spreading, and that we have never seen this virus before in human history. If this becomes wide spread it could be very problematic . You re right that most have mild symptoms and will recover but that is precisely why it will be hard to contain and why it will continue to pose a risk to the most vulnerable, because asymptotic or minimally symptomatic people will keep spreading it.
Thankfully we have a great infectious disease response infrastructure in this country and are working on targeted therapy and vaccines but that will take time. It would be great if funding for such programs hadn’t been cut recently....
I don’t think anyone or any group is conspiring to bringing the market down...that has far more to do with disrupted labor markets and supply chains overseas.

Yes, some criticism has been political, but being dismissive of all criticism on how this has been handled is also a political slant, and it’s putting your head in the sand

Funding was not cut. The Ebola task force was disbanded because obviously we aren’t facing a credible Ebola threat anymore. So yeah, you can complain about an irrelevant part of the CDC no longer getting funding/existing but that’s it. How about you ask why congress waited weeks to pass the additional funding the president asked for while running ads complaining about the the handling of it? It’s pure politics, they wanted the headlines so they delayed passing the budget funding. Just like it’s pure politics that the media is overhyping thus disease. It took six months and thousands of deaths before Obama declared Ebola an emergency, and Ebola has a mortality rate much much higher than Coronavirus. But hey, ten people died so far (most of them all from one nursing home) better stir up panic and imply we are in the second coming of the Black Death.
It’s all BS

The press is in love with the word "unprecedented." Coronavirus has a ton or precedents - Zika, Ebola, Swine Flu, MERS, and SARS. And it's always the same - turns out much less damaging than the hype. Too bad we can't hold the hyperventilating fools responsible for their garbage reporting.

I mostly agree. The Vols will be fine, and the market will likely recover at least somewhat over the summer. This is definitely over blown. At the end of the day the Corona vaccine will be combined with the flu vaccine (if possible) and it will be only recommended to those with under lying health conditions or if you are over 60 years of age. It will likely fade away and the flu will continue to be much more of a menace.

So far, the Athletic Department has survived 2 World Wars, the Great Depression and the banking crisis of 2008, also Derek Dooley, lane kiffin, and Butch jones. I'm thinking the sun will come up tomorrow.

Fyp

What pray tell would happen to the athletics programs if the market continues its corona crash? Personally I feel bad for people, hard working people, that get caught up and this is unprecedented territory., no history defines what is going on with the market, none.

It's only a loss if you sell.

I have electronically lost enough to pay cash for a fully loaded F-350 in the last 10 days but in three months I will fully recover that.

If you have cash money on the sidelines, buy cruise lines, hotel and airline stock …. they won't be this cheap for a long time!

Reactions: BlackCreekVol
If you think think this selloff is due to a virus, then you may want to consider putting your money under your mattress with couple of horseshoes.

Flu mortality rate is less than 1%. Corona virus is 3.4%. That’s documented cases as well.
Flu mortality rate is less than 1%. Corona virus is 3.4%. That’s documented cases as well.
3.4%? Is this figure based on all the good Chinese data, or on the very small sample in the US? I suspect once real data is collected we will find 1000's of people that have contracted the Coronavirus, didn't know it(thought they had a mild cold), recovered, and are just fine-the death rate will then plunge to less than that of the flu. In the last year we've had something over 15,000 deaths from the FLU. Yet the press almost never even mentions it.

3.4%? Is this figure based on all the good Chinese data, or on the very small sample in the US? I suspect once real data is collected we will find 1000's of people that have contracted the Coronavirus, didn't know it(thought they had a mild cold), recovered, and are just fine-the death rate will then plunge to less than that of the flu. In the last year we've had something over 15,000 deaths from the FLU. Yet the press almost never even mentions it.
Just saw today the death rate from the Flu this season alone just hit 20,000

It’s the Dark Knight all over again. Everyone is fine with that mortality rate because it’s expected. Something like 14 people dead in the US from a virus that has a lower mortality rate than the common virus we get every year? Folks start losing their minds!

Reactions: I40flyer

VN Store

Back