Steve Spurrier comments on Jimbo Fisher's reaction...

Anyone who thinks NIL is not about buying recruits are probably the same type that thinks bama was the only one previously paying players.
The NCAA will have to try to enforce its NIL rule that prohibits that. Wee Little Nicky will lead the charge. Us Joe 6 pack fans can only hope NIL levels the field some. Interesting times coming for college football. I am glad players are getting paid.
Winners are:
The players
The fans of non CFP schools
The rich that can now deduct their payments to players.
Agents

The Losers
The handful of teams that dominate recruiting
The Athletics Departments that are having a decline in donations due to the transfer of giving to the NIL companies.
Non revenue producing and women's sports.
The NCAA

Reactions: igotworms
I don’t think the rich are coming out here. The price of bought players has increased 20x to 100x. Otherwise I think you’re spot on. Regular fans could play a big role here. If a million fans gave 100 a year that would easily buy you a team. The worry of course is an arms race which A&M will win. Tennessee might get to be second though.

NIL is going to take some time to settle out, and then prices will come down. This was a pot that was left to boil over instead of being removed from the heat and left to simmer.

Anyone who thinks NIL is not about buying recruits are probably the same type that thinks bama was the only one previously paying players.
The NCAA will have to try to enforce its NIL rule that prohibits that. Wee Little Nicky will lead the charge. Us Joe 6 pack fans can only hope NIL levels the field some. Interesting times coming for college football. I am glad players are getting paid.
Winners are:
The players
The fans of non CFP schools
The rich that can now deduct their payments to players.
Agents

The Losers
The handful of teams that dominate recruiting
The Athletics Departments that are having a decline in donations due to the transfer of giving to the NIL companies.
Non revenue producing and women's sports.
The NCAA

The non CFP schools are good until they don’t make a playoff again and the star player decides he wants to shop around…Jordan Addison. The problem that needs to be addressed is that there is a combination of unrestricted free agency and unchecked NIL. “NIL” isn’t really NIL in a lot of cases. It’s not AJ Green or Johnny Football signing some jerseys for $30,000, it’s basically pay for play. Everyone knew it was going to head that way, but I don’t think everyone expected it would be so crazy with the portal. Saban might say that aTm bought their entire recruiting class, but Bama is out there getting the best players in the portal, like Gibbs from GT , the lineman from Vandy and even the best WR from UGA . I’m sure they didn’t leave for free (maybe the kid from Vandy did). Things do need to change. No other sport has unregulated contractual obligations or $ . Not anti-paying players at all, get your bag, but having the ability to test the free agent market each season is not the way to build this sport.

Reactions: tnutater
Just like in any business retaining skilled employees is difficult.
The non CFP schools are good until they don’t make a playoff again and the star player decides he wants to shop around…Jordan Addison. The problem that needs to be addressed is that there is a combination of unrestricted free agency and unchecked NIL. “NIL” isn’t really NIL in a lot of cases. It’s not AJ Green or Johnny Football signing some jerseys for $30,000, it’s basically pay for play. Everyone knew it was going to head that way, but I don’t think everyone expected it would be so crazy with the portal. Saban might say that aTm bought their entire recruiting class, but Bama is out there getting the best players in the portal, like Gibbs from GT , the lineman from Vandy and even the best WR from UGA . I’m sure they didn’t leave for free (maybe the kid from Vandy did). Things do need to change. No other sport has unregulated contractual obligations or $ . Not anti-paying players at all, get your bag, but having the ability to test the free agent market each season is not the way to build this sport.
Just like in business employee retention is key.
Pay them well and keep them happy.
I never had bad feelings about an employee leaving to better himself.
Most of the time, I was proud of them.
Players transfer for more money and better opportunities just like all employees.
Most of our posters that bad mouth any Vol transfer would rip the door off it's hinges leaving to change jobs for 5k a year.
I have doubts whether the one time transfer rule would withstand a legal challenge.
The USSC appears to have a dim view of the NCAA business practices.
As fans we must realize college football is not amateur sport.
It is a billion dollar entertainment business.

I am really hoping Saban's feelings about NIL goes deep enough that he is utterly disgusted with what college football is becoming and will retire earlier than he would otherwise. I want to see Bama slide into mediocrity and witness the program shed all the bandwagon fans while the hardcore fans attack the athletic department, the new coaching staff, the players and each other. I also want to beat those sons-a-guns 20 years in a row. Let them wander the desert for a couple of decades like we have.

Reactions: ptcarter
The non CFP schools are good until they don’t make a playoff again and the star player decides he wants to shop around…Jordan Addison. The problem that needs to be addressed is that there is a combination of unrestricted free agency and unchecked NIL. “NIL” isn’t really NIL in a lot of cases.

The NIL stuff is meaningless, its all about any compensation now i.e. anti-trust act. There really isn't anything to address which is why the NCAA is playing pretend i.e. they don't really have a business model going forward. Until everyone figures it out.... party on.

No other sport has unregulated contractual obligations or $ . Not anti-paying players at all, get your bag, but having the ability to test the free agent market each season is not the way to build this sport.

Well, isn't that the problem... the "sports" you are inferring to have players which are "employees". Oppps, the NCAA doesn't want them to be employees.

There is nothing for the public to "address", imo. You are in the beginning part of the fix, long way to go.

I got really tickled today; A&M sent an email to the NCAA stating:
“We expect the league to take strong, public action against Coach Saban and the University of Alabama to demonstrate that such unprofessionalism and disrespect for Texas A&M’s student-athletes, coaches, and the university as a whole, will not be tolerated.
I guess I will not be wagering any money that this happens.
Comically, what in fact happened was that the NCAA reprimanded A&M and Fisher for reacting.
Texas A&M officials wanted Nick Saban suspended following controversial NIL comments

The NIL stuff is meaningless, its all about any compensation now i.e. anti-trust act. There really isn't anything to address which is why the NCAA is playing pretend i.e. they don't really have a business model going forward. Until everyone figures it out.... party on.

Well, isn't that the problem... the "sports" you are inferring to have players which are "employees". Oppps, the NCAA doesn't want them to be employees.

There is nothing for the public to "address", imo. You are in the beginning part of the fix, long way to go.
I agree. The NCAA dropped the ball on all of this.

VN Store

Back