Steve Alford ...

Dougie_D

My guess is that the Barnes / UCLA connection is more about Steve Alford coming here. Wasn’t he at one of our games? Maybe Barnes had a feeling that Lanier was gonna leave and he was already searching around . Would be a great hire!

Steve Alford did come and speak to the team but.... I’m not sure how Barnes recruiting Alford to an assistant gig would somehow turn into (by the media) UCLA and Barnes discussing him being head coach there. It’s not like Alford is employed there anymore.

Reactions: Stoked and Vols410
My guess is that the Barnes / UCLA connection is more about Steve Alford coming here. Wasn’t he at one of our games? Maybe Barnes had a feeling that Lanier was gonna leave and he was already searching around . Would be a great hire!
Dear lord! Alford is horrible and been a bust multiple
Times over. Do you really think Alford was here as a candidate for a job that wasn’t open and was meeting with the current coaching staff
Are you brain damaged?

Flame away but I would rather have Steve Alford here at UT then someone like Jerry Stackhouse. He got New Mexico a #3 seed in NCAA tournament one year. Got UCLA to 3 sweet 16's in 5 years. He would kind of remind me of the Barnes hire. Texas folks with unrealistic expectations fired a good coach and have been regretting it ever since. Just saying we could do worse and I am afraid we may if Barnes leaves.

Reactions: lynnh
Getting UCLA to the sweet 16 should be a given seeing as how that school can pretty much recruit itself to top recruits...Alford failed miserably at UCLA...There is no reason he couldn't have gotten them to the final 4 a couple of times.

Reactions: illinoisvolfan1
Getting UCLA to the sweet 16 should be a given seeing as how that school can pretty much recruit itself to top recruits...Alford failed miserably at UCLA...There is no reason he couldn't have gotten them to the final 4 a couple of times.
I think times have changed in college basketball. We have Virginia and Texas Tech playing in the finals. By all accounts Auburn should be there. Old school blue bloods don't mean what they used to. Gonzaga has a stronger program right now than Kansas. It has been a along time since Wooden roamed the sidelines in LA. Just because a school thinks they should be making final four runs every few years doesn't mean they will.

Steve Alford did come and speak to the team but.... I’m not sure how Barnes recruiting Alford to an assistant gig would somehow turn into (by the media) UCLA and Barnes discussing him being head coach there. It’s not like Alford is employed there anymore.
I just assumed from all of these conversations going around that there was not money being made available to hire an assistant like Alford to replace departing assistants or even to give significant raises to current remaining assistants. That probably does not sit well after hiring two high-priced coordinators in football for a program that is much less successful at the moment. That is my assumption, but you know what assumptions do.

As of now, Barnes is still in Knoxville. If he were to leave, I would love to see Rick Stansbury at UT. JMO

As of now, Barnes is still in Knoxville. If he were to leave, I would love to see Rick Stansbury at UT. JMO
I like it. If the Lady Vols Mafia can demand only a female coach, then the rest of us can demand only Ricks coaching the men. Rick Barnes, Rick James, Rick Schroeder, Rick Stansbury, Da'Rick Rogers, Ricardo Mantalaban, and any other Rick you can imagine.

I think times have changed in college basketball. We have Virginia and Texas Tech playing in the finals. By all accounts Auburn should be there. Old school blue bloods don't mean what they used to. Gonzaga has a stronger program right now than Kansas. It has been a along time since Wooden roamed the sidelines in LA. Just because a school thinks they should be making final four runs every few years doesn't mean they will.
Times have changed and is nice to see...However, with the right coach in place UCLA is a sleeping monster...As a top recruit you see how awesome LA is and the warm weather and all those red hot coeds walking around campus and your like wow...THEN go you into Pauly Pavilion and see all those banners hanging from the ceiling and it can make your head spin...If you can't recruit top recruits to a place like that then YOU are the problem...Regardless of what people think it is still a special place...Just having some down years is all like all schools do.

Barnes is not even close to being a FIT for the Left Coast. Butt, it doesn't matter. Coach Barnes is fixin to make some major Dollars either place!

I like it. If the Lady Vols Mafia can demand only a female coach, then the rest of us can demand only Ricks coaching the men. Rick Barnes, Rick James, Rick Schroeder, Rick Stansbury, Da'Rick Rogers, Ricardo Mantalaban, and any other Rick you can imagine.
Get Rick Byrd to come out of retirement.

I'd take Alford. He did well at all other stops. New Mexico fans were crushed when he left

I just assumed from all of these conversations going around that there was not money being made available to hire an assistant like Alford to replace departing assistants or even to give significant raises to current remaining assistants. That probably does not sit well after hiring two high-priced coordinators in football for a program that is much less successful at the moment. That is my assumption, but you know what assumptions do.
Puts an ump between as$ and tions?

You will need to roundup more fat white girls for Da'Rick.

VN Store

Back