Steelers claim Dobbs

Dobbs will likely go work in aerospace engineering after football. He’s passionate about it and will make 6 figures regardless. If he invested the majority of his signing bonus and just let it double every ten years he is set for life. He gets 30+ years for it to accumulate before he can withdraw without penalty.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Let's face the facts. He's never going to be a starter. He hasn't even been no. 2. He wasn't the backup in Pitt nor in Jacksonville. His role will be with the clipboard and as a player coach

Yes, most probably will never be a starter unless needed because of injuries. I think we all know that.
But, I like to see former Vols stay in NFL, was happy and proud for him, and just chose to be rather nice about him.
Guess I could have said he is a piece of crap and he is just lucky to be on the same field with real NFL stars.

He's in a far better spot in Pittsburgh and Big Ben always liked Dobbs (moreso than he likes Rudolph). I think after last season Pittsburgh realized how bum Rudolph really is so there is a solid chance for Dobbs to compete and earn a position as QB2. I imagine he is much happier going back to Pittsburgh, an organization worth a damn, rather than rotting in Jacksonville for a few more years.
Curious to the source of your insights regarding Roethlisberger's liking Dobbs more than Rudolph.

Not too sure how Dobbs passes a guy on the depth chart who he couldn't last season. It's not like he got a huge amount of game experience (zero actually) in Jacksonville last season and wasn't in camp this year with the Steelers.

Hodges was added to the practice squad today also likely indicating the team isn't 100% sold on Mason or Dobbs.

Last edited:
Curious to the source of your insights regarding Roethlisberger's liking Dobbs more than Rudolph.

Not too sure how Dobbs passes a guy on the depth chart who he couldn't last season. It's not like he got a huge amount of game experience (zero actually) in Jacksonville last season and wasn't in camp this year with the Steelers.

Hodges was added to the practice squad today also likely indicating the team isn't 100% sold on Mason or Dobbs.

I watch quite a bit of Steeler football as my dad is a huge Pittsburgh fan. Dobbs was QB2 the year before the trade. Not Rudolph. When Big Ben went down, he played against the Ravens, Raiders, and another team I can’t remember.

Dobbs also wasn’t let go he was traded to Jacksonville. I assume they did so because he had decent trade value. I also don’t hold it against Dobbs that he didn’t start or play in Jacksonville as that entire franchise is hot garbage and has no idea how to manage players. They have had former players this very week roasting them on social media about the organization.

Will Dobbs come back and reclaim QB2? Idk. But I think the speed at which Dobbs was picked up after his release says a lot. Rudolph showed last year just how mediocre he is.

As far as your comment on how do I know Big Ben likes Dobbs better than Mason? There were some reports during Dobbs’ previous stint in Pittsburgh of him developing a close relationship/mentorship with Ben. And Ben has always said really positive things about him.

Im sure he could get into coaching. Isnt he a rocket scientist or something like that??

He has a graduate degree in aero space eng. I think... But many people do not follow their degrees. AND if you had read my post in it's full content, you would have noticed near the end I somewhat qualified coaching as a career by thinking he may love football enough to stay in the sport. ALSO,,, if he is a good enough coach, he will make more than he would make as an engineer.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Yes, most probably will never be a starter unless needed because of injuries. I think we all know that.
But, I like to see former Vols stay in NFL, was happy and proud for him, and just chose to be rather nice about him.
Guess I could have said he is a piece of crap and he is just lucky to be on the same field with real NFL stars.
I'm not disparaging him. I'm just stating facts as to how he stands up against other NFL Qbs. Damn

Reactions: OldVolMan
Let's face the facts. He's never going to be a starter. He hasn't even been no. 2. He wasn't the backup in Pitt nor in Jacksonville. His role will be with the clipboard and as a player coach

Lol. There is no facts in this. You would have said the same thing about Tom Brady. Dobbs was drafted higher than Brady. Dobbs could become a starter.

Reactions: Dobbs 4 Heisman
The world is Dobbs' oyster. He an make millions at both of his hobbies - football and space. I could see him working for Elon Musk someday.

Reactions: kcvols1
Lol. There is no facts in this. You would have said the same thing about Tom Brady. Dobbs was drafted higher than Brady. Dobbs could become a starter.
Yeah, except by this point in his career Brady had played in over 30 games including starting most of those. Dobbs has been in 5 games and never started a game.

I suspect that after a year or more in the league, most NFL teams look at a player's accomplishments in practice/scrimmage/exhibition/regular season games more than anything in their college career.

I could. His first few years in the NFL he was with the Chiefs with Andy Reid as his head coach. I am sure Bray has studied countless hours worth of film and has experiences studying and breaking down defenses in the NFL. Often career backups make good coaches. Gary Kubiak, Frank Reich and Jason Garrett come to mind. I am sure Bray has also matured since his days at Tennessee. Which is probably another reason he has managed to stay in the league for so long.
The diff in Bray and those you mentioned above is those guys had a strong work ethic. JMO, but I don't think you develop that late in life. It has to be instilled early. If you don't have it by age 15, you ain't gonna get it.

I could. His first few years in the NFL he was with the Chiefs with Andy Reid as his head coach. I am sure Bray has studied countless hours worth of film and has experiences studying and breaking down defenses in the NFL. Often career backups make good coaches. Gary Kubiak, Frank Reich and Jason Garrett come to mind. I am sure Bray has also matured since his days at Tennessee. Which is probably another reason he has managed to stay in the league for so long.
Those names you cited were 2nd string backups not practice squad level. Not sure how far the practice squad goes back. Maybe he falls under the same category as Matt Nagy, but he got into coaching much sooner along the way.

Yeah, except by this point in his career Brady had played in over 30 games including starting most of those. Dobbs has been in 5 games and never started a game.
You really can't tell much about a QB's potential by looking at stats in his first full season as a starter, much less in a very limited role. Peyton had one INT for every 17 attempts in his first NFL season, and that's after getting almost all of the snaps in preseason. That's pretty bad. Dobbs has only had 12 attempts. The Steelers obviously think highly of him. Had they traded Rudolph instead of Dobbs, do you think they would have re-claimed Rudolph? I don't. I expect Dobbs to claim the #2 spot behind Big Ben before the season is over.

You really can't tell much about a QB's potential by looking at stats in his first full season as a starter, much less in a very limited role. Peyton had one INT for every 17 attempts in his first NFL season, and that's after getting almost all of the snaps in preseason. That's pretty bad. Dobbs has only had 12 attempts. The Steelers obviously think highly of him. Had they traded Rudolph instead of Dobbs, do you think they would have re-claimed Rudolph? I don't. I expect Dobbs to claim the #2 spot behind Big Ben before the season is over.
I can't speak to whether if the Steeelers would have picked up Rudolph if they had previously traded him to a team that cut him. I do know less than 12 months ago the Steelers felt Rudolph was better in his 2nd season than Dobbs in his 3rd season as Dobbs was traded and Rudolph was not. I know that Rudolph has game experience including multiple starts last season and Dobbs didn't take a snap last season. I know that Rudolph has been with the Steelers all off season and this preseason continuing to learn the system and players. Dobbs has not.

With all of that said, I don't see how Dobbs beats out a guy who was previously deemed better than him who also now has more time with the team and most importantly far and away more real game time experience.

The diff in Bray and those you mentioned above is those guys had a strong work ethic. JMO, but I don't think you develop that late in life. It has to be instilled early. If you don't have it by age 15, you ain't gonna get it.
Bray has been in the league since 2013. So I would say his work ethic now is just fine. Andy Reid even said he had matured over the years compared to when he first came into the league. Matt Nagy has even talked about Bray's hard work and perseverance. I'll take Andy Reid and Matt Nagy's word over random guys on Volnation any day of the week.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I was referring to the Steeler’s hindsight. Trade then pick up off waivers is a good trade for them.

The only issue is that he has been out of their system getting and getting the other team’s yuck on him.

Something tells me he’ll be a remarkably quick study.

Just a hunch, mind you.

BS...you're not informed about sports either. Brady started halfway through his rookie season when Bledsoe went down with an injury and led the Patriots to the Super Bowl. My goodness what a dumb post. Dobbs isn't in the same stratosphere as Brady...damn

Unless a team is barraged by injuries at QB, Dobbs will never be a starter in the NFL.

Last edited:
Not the largest $ signing bonuses or contracts, but the pensions will be sweet for them.

Geez, you guys are acting like he's making $30K in an entry-level job or something. He'll make $825K this year. You're set for life after a couple of years of that if you manage your money wisely. And I suspect Josh Dobbs will do just that.

Plus if he can hang in for five years he can draw a nfl retirement pension.
Geez, you guys are acting like he's making $30K in an entry-level job or something. He'll make $825K this year. You're set for life after a couple of years of that if you manage your money wisely. And I suspect Josh Dobbs will do just that.

Reactions: IndianaVol
Dobbs' biggest asset is his intellect. A lot of folks make the off-hand comment that he can learn a team's playbook in 5 minutes, but in a backup and squad team role that is exactly what you want.

If he can read and break down a team's film in a week and run plays as the squad team QB in practice imagine how that skill set translates into a coaching career.

Dobbs' biggest asset is his intellect. A lot of folks make the off-hand comment that he can learn a team's playbook in 5 minutes, but in a backup and squad team role that is exactly what you want.

If he can read and break down a team's film in a week and run plays as the squad team QB in practice imagine how that skill set translates into a coaching career.

Or, you know, being an astronaut.

VN Store

Back