Steele should have never been interim!

He’s been a solid d coordinator for a long time and he’s a tn guy. I like that he’s here. Hopefully we’ll get an offensive minded head coach and Steele can stay onboard

Reactions: igotworms
Umm they named Steele “acting” head coach not interim. Has absolutely no bearing on whether or not he will or won’t be the coach. Just had to put the name tag on someone.

An outside hire for interim coach is weird. OC Cheney would have made more sense.

This tells you what you need to know. $450k isn’t going to break the bank if they decide to make Steele an assistant or ee of the AD

I believe he was elevated to interim and given power to make staff changes from what I saw earlier today

Where did you see that? All I've seen is people saying "interim" since Plowman called him "acting".

That would be strange timing, with the new AD coming in.

I'm guessing Steele was made interim coach because they weren't positive any of the current coaches on staff weren't involved in the allegations.

Don’t get me wrong Steele is a good defensive coach, but what kind of backwards thinking is it to hire a guy supposedly by Pruitt and then turn around and make him the interim? It looks shady as hell to any player and I think this is the cause for some(not all) of the transfers. If I played I would feel betrayed by the program for this and would much rather have seen one of the coaches who I’ve been dealing with be put in place to hold over the program at a time like this. Again my 2 cents which aren’t worth a damn but I just don’t see how Steele could hold this position going into 2021 and expect the players to have any respect for him going forward.
Steele is no Brady Hoke

I just wanna mention something. Saw this on CBSSports, and it's kinda changed my mind a little bit on CKS.

"Why not? Right now, Steele looks a lot like Pruitt as a veteran SEC defensive coordinator. Plus, someone, somewhere at Tennessee may wake up one day and realize Steele was 9-36 at Baylor, his only head coaching job to date. That person would fail to realize that was 18 years ago, and since then, Steele has worked for Bobby Bowden, Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, Les Miles and Gus Malzahn."

I'm sure I'm gonna get lambasted for this, but maybe just maybe folks are kinda looking a bit too far in the past and ain't giving dude a fair shake?? I'll hang up and listen.

Yeah I'm not understanding the Steele hire either. A new HC will want to hire his own staff. Looks like we are trying to go the McGoogle route

Unless this was all worked out behind the scenes beforehand...including the AD...as it should be.

I just wanna mention something. Saw this on CBSSports, and it's kinda changed my mind a little bit on CKS.

"Why not? Right now, Steele looks a lot like Pruitt as a veteran SEC defensive coordinator. Plus, someone, somewhere at Tennessee may wake up one day and realize Steele was 9-36 at Baylor, his only head coaching job to date. That person would fail to realize that was 18 years ago, and since then, Steele has worked for Bobby Bowden, Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, Les Miles and Gus Malzahn."

I'm sure I'm gonna get lambasted for this, but maybe just maybe folks are kinda looking a bit too far in the past and ain't giving dude a fair shake?? I'll hang up and listen.

What's the matter, why couldn't this guy get another head coaching job in the last 18 years? If the guy was a good coach but just had a bad run at Baylor you think somebody, anybody, would have given him another shot in almost 2 decades.

Kevin Steele is a good defensive mind and if we were looking to make him our DC then I say bravo make the hire.

Clearly he's not head coaching material because he would have been given a head coaching job in the last 18 years. There has to be something wrong with him that the industry knows and we don't.

Steele wasn't hired exclusively to be the interim HC. He was hired to be a LBs coach by Pruitt. Also, given the investigation wouldn't it make sense to have an outsider be the interim? There's no way they can get caught up in the investigation at that point.

Steele wasn't hired exclusively to be the interim HC. He was hired to be a LBs coach by Pruitt. Also, given the investigation wouldn't it make sense to have an outsider be the interim? There's no way they can get caught up in the investigation at that point.

Pruitt wasnt responsible for the hire

Reactions: VolNExile
Pruitt wasnt responsible for the hire
Tennessee head football coach Jeremy Pruitt officially announced the hiring of Kevin Steele as a defensive assistant on Tuesday afternoon.

“Kevin is someone I have respected and admired for a long time on and off the field,” Pruitt said in a press release. “I had the opportunity to learn and work with him during our time at Alabama and our friendship grew from there. He has outstanding knowledge of the game and understands what it takes to be successful in this conference.

“Having coached under the great Johnny Majors, he has a sincere appreciation for what it means to be a Tennessee Volunteer. We are thrilled to welcome Kevin and Linda back to Rocky Top.”

VN Store

Back