States top recruit not intrested

afanalso

WR Patrick Turner of Goodpasture has TENN not even on his top 5 list. He wants to go out of state and play for either USC, LSU, or Miami because they have more "balanced" offenses. Turner was quoted as saying he wants to play some where he is comfortable and the coach's know what they are doing. Yes, you heard correct he thinks the UT coaching staff is clueless. When our play calling and type of offense starts to cost us in state recruits, something is wrong. Early in the summer he had the vols as a serious possibility for his college of choice. I guess during the course of the fall something went wrong between Turner and UT. By the way, Turner isn't only the #1 prospect in Tennessee, he's the #2 prospect overall in the entire nation. I just hate to see talent like that play against us.

Originally posted by afanalso@Dec 2, 2004 3:33 PM
Turner was quoted as saying he wants to play some where he is comfortable and the coach's know what they are doing.

Tell that kid that our stupid coaches are too busy preparing for the SECCG to talk to him right now.

I'm sure there is an opening to play receiver at Florida. Chris Leak can tell him all about what it's like to play against the Vol coaching staff.

Doesn` t suprise me. I don`t really get the LSU thing though. I guess we`ll find out next year.

Originally posted by GAVol@Dec 2, 2004 3:55 PM
Tell that kid that our stupid coaches are too busy preparing for the SECCG to talk to him right now.

I'm sure there is an opening to play receiver at Florida.  Chris Leak can tell him all about what it's like to play against the Vol coaching staff.

The kid doesn't want to come here. So be it. Why get so angry? Geez, I grew up in Louisiana and just would never have wanted to play at LSU.

To each his own....I say good luck to the kid.

I take this type of stuff personally because my family had a very coveted player cousin of mine who went to play D1 school at an out-of-state college and was given hell for it through his local media.

I couldn't stand reading people ripping him. Never said anything bad yet there were people talking as if they knew him.

Boy it made me mad :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger:

I think he may have been more scared at the depth that Tennessee has at the wide receiver spot than anything else. Only Tony Brown is a senior.

If the kid wants to go out of state fine. It shows a lot about his character for making comments like that in public. We are fine at receiver, and with Ainge and Crompton, we can continue to attract top talent.

We can already throw to 11 or 12 different people. One more would be too many anyway! Good luck to the guy!

So? Oregon ended up putting fiteen or so players into DI-A football this last yeason, and I think only two or three are playing for Oregon or Oregon State. I know that Oregon State was dogging the hell out of Ainge to play for them, and if it wasn't for Peyton Manning's tenure at UT, Ainge probably would be wearing the black and orange uni right now.

Originally posted by allvol@Dec 2, 2004 4:20 PM
I think he may have been more scared at the depth that Tennessee has at the wide receiver spot than anything else. Only Tony Brown is a senior.

My sentiments exactly. If hes afraid of the competition, then I wont want him in a Orange uniform. If be earned a starting job at UT, then how much better a receiver will he be?

Btw, who says because we dont throw the ball around 40 plus times a game that our coaches dont know what they are doing?

Or maybe he just wants to play out of state...?

Did you mean USC as in Southern Cal? There will be even more competition there to get the job. I don't think a single one of their recievers is anything below at least pretty good.

It's this kind of stuff that becomes "How do you expect to get the best talent in the country when you can't keep what's in your backyard" fodder for gators, dawgs, ect. ect.

Their WR's started getting injured, so they had to bring in bench warmers, reception numbers only got better after that. I'm still boggled by Carroll from time to time.

I have a feeling he is going out to USC I saw his 40 time and well he fits in perfectly in that conference big, tall, and slow wide outs!!!

Originally posted by JohnsonCityVol@Dec 2, 2004 6:03 PM
It's this kind of stuff that becomes "How do you expect to get the best talent in the country when you can't keep what's in your backyard" fodder for gators, dawgs, ect. ect.

If UT has to rely on instate talent, then kiss our role in the national spotlight goodbye. Tennessee has NEVER been a hot bed of talent. AT least, talent is few and far between.

I was flipping through the recruiting from this season, but my best guess for talent from each state, measured by drafting amount went as follows:

1. California
2. Texas
3. Tennessee
4. Ohio
5. Florida

Something like that. Tennessee actually has a damn lot of talent. Where's allvol? Let's get some numbers a-rockin'

Originally posted by milohimself@Dec 2, 2004 6:09 PM
I was flipping through the recruiting from this season, but my best guess for talent from each state, measured by drafting amount went as follows:

1. California
2. Texas
3. Tennessee
4. Ohio
5. Florida

Something like that. Tennessee actually has a damn lot of talent. Where's allvol? Let's get some numbers a-rockin'

Milo what are you on!! How is Tennessee in the top 5? my top 5 without looking is like this

1. Florida
2. Texas
3. California
4. Louisiana
5. Georgia

Tennessee has good recruits every other year just like here in Alabama

I was really hoping that UT would lock up the top recruits from the state, and Turner would be going here next year.

Him and Fred Rouse are the two biggest recruits at WR this year, Rouse is a solid FSU committ although he hasn't came out and said it yet, he's stringing the Hurricanes on but will be going to FSU next year, which leaves Turner to either Miami, LSU, USC, and slim chance of Florida.

Always hurts to see big recruits from the state leave and go elsewhere, here's hoping he rethinks and decides to come to Tennessee.

It is too bad he has crossed us off. We are deep and young in that position but unfortunately his asessment of the coaching is correct. Must be a pretty kid smart at 17-18 to be able to make that evaluation, at least a 2.0 !!! :haha_oh:

This state has never had much talet... GA, FL, AL, and MS all have more football talent than TN... heck SC probably does too.

Originally posted by _volfan_+Dec 2, 2004 6:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_volfan_ @ Dec 2, 2004 6:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-allvol@Dec 2, 2004 4:20 PM
I think he may have been more scared at the depth that Tennessee has at the wide receiver spot than anything else.  Only Tony Brown is a senior.

My sentiments exactly. If hes afraid of the competition, then I wont want him in a Orange uniform. If be earned a starting job at UT, then how much better a receiver will he be?

Btw, who says because we dont throw the ball around 40 plus times a game that our coaches dont know what they are doing? [/quote]
People go to schools based strictly on their competition all the time. I am not sure how it makes him any less of a player.

Bit ridiculous

Originally posted by U&#045;T+Dec 2, 2004 7:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (U-T @ Dec 2, 2004 7:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by _volfan_@Dec 2, 2004 6:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-allvol
@Dec 2, 2004 4:20 PM
I think he may have been more scared at the depth that Tennessee has at the wide receiver spot than anything else.  Only Tony Brown is a senior.

Btw, who says because we dont throw the ball around 40 plus times a game that our coaches dont know what they are doing?

People go to schools based strictly on their competition all the time. I am not sure how it makes him any less of a player.

Bit ridiculous [/quote]
Exactly right. You can&#39;t blame a kid for avoiding a log jam in favor of playing time.

I really didn&#39;t mean to sound bitter about the kid not coming to Tennessee. I just get tired of recruiting services and the media chasing these kids around and making the recruiting process a big soap opera.

VN Store

Back