Standing ovation for Admiral

I’m really curious what guys like Admiral, Grant and Jordan Bone thought about Barnes. Obviously they all saw huge improvement under his staff, but the guy you always heard them talk about was Coach Lanier.

I would guess Barnes is a tough guy to play for. I wonder if that has anything to do with Bone and to a lesser extent Grant leaving early.

I love Coach Barnes and I am really glad he’s here, this is absolutely not an anti Barnes post. I’m just curious how his players see him while on the team. I think after a few years off the team they have to respect what he brought to their game, but in the heat of battle, I could see not loving it.

Just curious what some of you think?

(As a bit of perspective, I’ve been an athlete at the high school, college and professional level. I’ve had great and terrible coaches. I’ve had coaches I loved and hated...and some that I hated at the time and loved, or at least respected, later)

Good cop, bad cop seems to work. Barnes and Pat are the bad cops. Lanier and Holly are the good cops. Holly didn't work out as the good cop AND the head coach. I wonder what style Kim English is. I'd really like to see him in Knoxville for a long time. Coach in waiting would be pretty cool. Maybe have a spot for an assistant named Admiral. We're not that lucky though for everything to fall into place with that scenario.

Good cop, bad cop seems to work. Barnes and Pat are the bad cops. Lanier and Holly are the good cops. Holly didn't work out as the good cop AND the head coach. I wonder what style Kim English is. I'd really like to see him in Knoxville for a long time. Coach in waiting would be pretty cool. Maybe have a spot for an assistant named Admiral. We're not that lucky though for everything to fall into place with that scenario.

Good take.

I’ve enjoyed listening to Coach English do most of the “Chalk Talks” this year. He seems like a guy that knows the game, and knows how to relate to young athletes.

I wish we had done “Coach in Waiting” with Lanier.

Give me Lanier all day. He’s doing very well right now as a HC

Good take.

I’ve enjoyed listening to Coach English do most of the “Chalk Talks” this year. He seems like a guy that knows the game, and knows how to relate to young athletes.

I wish we had done “Coach in Waiting” with Lanier.

Lanier was pretty young but kind of flamed out as the head coach at Siena. He's not having a bad first year at Georgia State. If he keeps that up he'd bring a lot more cred if he followed CRB some day at UT.

It's early, but Kim English might be my favorite UT assistant since the legendary Stu Aberdeen. He's going to be hard to hang on to. It would be perfect for him to go be a head coach at a mid-major for a couple of years and return to TN with that experience.

Michael Schwartz could be a really good coach to follow in CRB's footsteps as well. Desmond Oliver, too. Main thing we need is to have a smooth, well planned transition for once.

Mears was sick and had to leave at the height of his career. He was only about 50 when his UT tenure ended.

Wettig was always an interim.

Devoe was a good hire from the Bobby Knight coaching tree, but was FIRED.

Wade was FIRED.

KO got mad and QUIT.

Jerry was FIRED or pushed out. Actually I don't remember exactly how that went down. 4x 20s. 4x NCAATs. But he underperformed with his roster and wasn't too friendly with the fan base. "KMart".

Buzz. FIRED.

Bruce. FIRED.

Cuonzo. Got mad and QUIT.

Donnie. FIRED.

So after Mears/Wettig:
FIRED
FIRED
QUIT and mad
FIRED
FIRED
FIRED
QUIT and mad
FIRED
No wonder TN basketball was in the weeds for nearly three decades.

Let's have a smooth transition for once. Many years from now.

I’m really curious what guys like Admiral, Grant and Jordan Bone thought about Barnes. Obviously they all saw huge improvement under his staff, but the guy you always heard them talk about was Coach Lanier.

I would guess Barnes is a tough guy to play for. I wonder if that has anything to do with Bone and to a lesser extent Grant leaving early.

I love Coach Barnes and I am really glad he’s here, this is absolutely not an anti Barnes post. I’m just curious how his players see him while on the team. I think after a few years off the team they have to respect what he brought to their game, but in the heat of battle, I could see not loving it.

(As a bit of perspective, I’ve been an athlete at the high school, college and professional level. I’ve had great and terrible coaches. I’ve had coaches I loved and hated...and some that I hated at the time and loved, or at least respected, later)

I’ve heard plenty of interviews where they talk about Barnes, honestly I’ve heard Barnes name from those guys way more than Lanier. All seem to share a similar perspective, Barnes loves you and is going to expect the absolute best from you, you have to realize the things he says come from a place of love and that he wants what is best.

I'm sure barnes is a tough coach to play for, but that's what makes you better. Just look how much better almost all of our players have gotten the longer they stayed. Just look back at the barnes and TJ Ford graduation video from last year to see what his players think of him.

As far as a barnes replacement, Lanier is at least going to have the experience. He did inherit a pretty good situation there, so we'll have to wait a few years to see what he can really do. I really like Kim English, and I'd be happy with Schwartz as well. To me though, it might be hard not to just give it to Steve Forbes. The job he's doing at ETSU is remarkable.

I'm sure barnes is a tough coach to play for, but that's what makes you better. Just look how much better almost all of our players have gotten the longer they stayed. Just look back at the barnes and TJ Ford graduation video from last year to see what his players think of him.

As far as a barnes replacement, Lanier is at least going to have the experience. He did inherit a pretty good situation there, so we'll have to wait a few years to see what he can really do. I really like Kim English, and I'd be happy with Schwartz as well. To me though, it might be hard not to just give it to Steve Forbes. The job he's doing at ETSU is remarkable.

I think Lanier was a bigger part than we realized. I think Bone leaving had a lot to do with him leaving. Lamonte didn’t even tell Barnes he was getting surgery and not finishing the year. That shows a major disconnect.

Bone leaving had everything to do with allegedly not really caring for the student portion of being a student athlete, and the depth of the 2020 PGs eligible for the NBA Draft.

VN Store

Back