Staff Turnover

You probably don’t know today where you stand but in two years, everyone on Volnation will fall into one of two groups.

If everything works out —“Pruitt demands excellence and is always looking to upgrade!”

If everything doesn’t work out — “I knew something was wrong when all of those coaches left!”

But on the day you know without a doubt which group you’re in, you will have known all along...

Felton is kind of a question mark as a position coach but everywhere else I feel good about.

Yeah, Felton is the only one I'm not sure about, but I trust Jeremy Pruitt's coach evaluations about 500 times more than Butch's. Doesn't mean he's not wrong from time to time, but if he is wrong, I expect that coach to get replaced at the end of the season.

Yeah, Felton is the only one I'm not sure about, but I trust Jeremy Pruitt's coach evaluations about 500 times more than Butch's. Doesn't mean he's not wrong from time to time, but if he is wrong, I expect that coach to get replaced at the end of the season.
He wanted to keep Felton when he left a couple years ago for that Akron job. He knows what he's getting back.

I would say it's part of the business.

The improvement for me is that it seems like a well oiled machine. Appears communication was happening considering people are being replaced so quickly. Can't over look the fact that most happened after NSD as to not interfere with the process. I like it.

Also, it's all conjecture until we see actual contributions from new hires...can they coach and recruit as well or better than their predecessors. SC folks are giddy over "stealing" a couple UT guys, while UT let some contracts expire, looking to upgrade. It's all a non-event, business as usual, probably held serve on coaching, with the high probability that we got better in recruiting.

I keep seeing talk of SC stealing a couple of guys...who was the second guy? Rocker and ?

Johnson to FSU, Sherrer to the Giants, Rumph to the Texans, Rocker to SC...who am I missing?

Pruitt never missed a chance to say that the D line was under achieving especially Taylor. So that change shouldn’t have surprised many.
I think at the very least Rocker was a mutual parting of ways. You don't typically replace someone within an hour with an outside hire.

We say other teams are falling apart, but when it's us, it's always an upgrade🤣

Pretty sure nobody has said that. If it had been a coordinator or guys who's contracts weren't expiring that would be one thing, but as fast as new hires were made it was a decision made by CJP. The ones who left outside of Johnson weren't exactly pulling their recruiting weight. 2 left for the NFL, which gives them more family time and no 365 recruiting.

Reactions: butchna
Rocker has never been a great recruiter. Pruitt decided to move on from him. He got a one year deal at Carolina under a coach whose seat is red hot going into next year. His options were minimal bc of his recruiting.

Johnson I had heard was looked at being replaced a few years ago. I thought things had improved but I guess not. Feel like Graham is an upgrade as far as fit and recruiting.

Rumph hell idk if it was a mutual parting or not but I would guess so since he got a better job and his replacement was instantaneous.

I think every replacement was younger and probably will be a better recruiter. Felton is kind of a question mark as a position coach but everywhere else I feel good about.

Agreed. We upgraded at every position, especially when it comes to recruiting.

I'm pretty sure we could hire Dooley to a position on staff and some people would spin it to being a good get

Highly doubt any knowledgeable Vol fan would ever ssy that. Especially with all the bridges he burned with HS Coach's while he was HC here.

Pretty sure nobody has said that. If it had been a coordinator or guys who's contracts weren't expiring that would be one thing, but as fast as new hires were made it was a decision made by CJP. The ones who left outside of Johnson weren't exactly pulling their recruiting weight. 2 left for the NFL, which gives them more family time and no 365 recruiting.

Come on man, you know this type of thing happens often here. The thing is, most of the time its not the same people. I mean, look in that thread below at the posters saying the wheels are falling off at SC and you most likely won't see the same ones saying its just an upgrade here.

But, its still funny to see when it happens like it did with this.

Wheels coming off at SC

A lot of moves here recently. How are we feeling about it? Good, bad, meh? Forgive me if someone’s already started a thread like this. Combine them.
They all look planned and handled quickly. And they all make sense. DL coach teaches a 3/4 in the same frame that Pruitt does and adds recruiting. Jay Is a Tennessee guy, Oveset was already on staff and is a solid recruiter with innovative concepts to add to the O. Chip Long has ties to Neids, Felton was a former staffer for Pruitt at Tennessee.

None of them were head scratchers. All add something to the staff and program. None are strictly there to recruit or teach. I think it's a solid mix and will hopefully gel quickly.

Come on man, you know this type of thing happens often here. The thing is, most of the time its not the same people. I mean, look in that thread below at the posters saying the wheels are falling off at SC and you most likely won't see the same ones saying its just an upgrade here.

But, its still funny to see when it happens like it did with this.

Wheels coming off at SC
UofSC is in a completely different situation. Desperation changes to attempt to savage a head coach vs a relatively safe head coach making tweaks to a staff.

UofSC is in a completely different situation. Desperation changes to attempt to savage a head coach vs a relatively safe head coach making tweaks to a staff.

Why you telling me? Im not arguing either side. But since you bring it up, I don't think it would matter if Muschamp didn't replace anyone, he ain't getting fired this year or probably next year either. But of course, that's just my opinion.

UGA lost two of their best recruiters (three if you count Pittman) and their Drew Hughes. Similarly SC lost three and except for Coley for UGA, there had been no clamor for their heads...all were valued. I would have been happy to keep the teaching and development of Rocker, Rumph and Sherrer, but it’s obvious Pruitt needed more...apples oranges all the fruit analogies.

Muschamp in a tight spot. If they win more than 5 games, they'll have to beat a few folks they're not supposed to.
South Carolina 2020 Football Schedule
Sept. 5 COASTAL CAROLINA
Sept. 12 EAST CAROLINA
Sept. 19 MISSOURI*

Sept. 26 at Kentucky*
Oct. 3 at Florida*
Oct. 10 TENNESSEE*
Oct. 17 Open Date
Oct. 24 TEXAS A&M*
Oct. 31 at Vanderbilt*
Nov. 7 GEORGIA*
Nov. 14 at LSU*
Nov. 21 WOFFORD
Nov. 28 at Clemson

Muschamp in a tight spot. If they win more than 5 games, they'll have to beat a few folks they're not supposed to.
South Carolina 2020 Football Schedule
Sept. 5 COASTAL CAROLINA
Sept. 12 EAST CAROLINA
Sept. 19 MISSOURI*

Sept. 26 at Kentucky*
Oct. 3 at Florida*
Oct. 10 TENNESSEE*
Oct. 17 Open Date
Oct. 24 TEXAS A&M*
Oct. 31 at Vanderbilt*
Nov. 7 GEORGIA*
Nov. 14 at LSU*
Nov. 21 WOFFORD
Nov. 28 at Clemson
coastal, ecu, mizzou, vandy, wofford are 5 they should win. UK and TN would be two they would need to win to get to 7.

the rest.....very tough....but like with UGA last year, could they steal a game? maybe.

but yeah, they've not had schedules the past two years that set up for success....lol.

UGA lost two of their best recruiters (three if you count Pittman) and their Drew Hughes. Similarly SC lost three and except for Coley for UGA, there had been no clamor for their heads...all were valued. I would have been happy to keep the teaching and development of Rocker, Rumph and Sherrer, but it’s obvious Pruitt needed more...apples oranges all the fruit analogies.
Forget about us for a second, everyone should see they're two different situations.

Do you really think if Muschamp's buyout wasn't so high he'd been fired after the 19 season? I ask because I keep seeing that thrown around and I'm not buying it.

Reactions: butchna
I think Salaries might play into some of these changes too. Our assistants were getting paid a boat load of money. Newer less heralded dudes will be cheaper. Believe that?

I think Salaries might play into some of these changes too. Our assistants were getting paid a boat load of money. Newer less heralded dudes will be cheaper. Believe that?
i don't think money was the issue, either way. we were willing to shell out when this staff got put together, we shelled out for Ansley and chaney.

i would say, that if there was a guy, or guys, that pruitt wanted, but would have come with big time price tags, we'd of probably shelled out again.

Reactions: Behr

VN Store

Back