Staff Turnover

SoddyAllVol

A lot of moves here recently. How are we feeling about it? Good, bad, meh? Forgive me if someone’s already started a thread like this. Combine them.

If nothing else we have at least appeared to improve our recruiting
Also, it's all conjecture until we see actual contributions from new hires...can they coach and recruit as well or better than their predecessors. SC folks are giddy over "stealing" a couple UT guys, while UT let some contracts expire, looking to upgrade. It's all a non-event, business as usual, probably held serve on coaching, with the high probability that we got better in recruiting.

Reactions: GlennTenn
Also, it's all conjecture until we see actual contributions from new hires...can they coach and recruit as well or better than their predecessors. SC folks are giddy over "stealing" a couple UT guys, while UT let some contracts expire, looking to upgrade. It's all a non-event, business as usual, probably held serve on coaching, with the high probability that we got better in recruiting.
They got a good coach in Rocker but his reputation of a meh recruiter is not going away

Like I said a while back, changes are coming but it wouldn't be mind blowing.

Assistants move all the time. Next man up. I can tell you that, working for Pruitt, you’d better be recruiting 24-7 and 365. That’s why Rocker’s contract wasn’t renewed. Can’t blame Rumph for taking an NFL job. Not sure why Johnson left except for his previous relationship with Norvell at Memphis. Something tells me he’s going to regret that decision but time will tell.

A bad plan is better than no plan.

With how quickly Pruitt was able to bring in replacements I'd say he definately has a plan.

Whether the moves work out, and it turns out to be a good plan, remains to be seen.

My suppositional take is:
Pruitt feels comfortable that he's established his culture and that his coordinators have control of their respective responsibilities and subordinates.
Now he expects/thinks he can sustain our culture with 8 wins minimum and intends to start landing top-5 classes with recruiting head hunters.

Pruitt never missed a chance to say that the D line was under achieving especially Taylor. So that change shouldn’t have surprised many.

I'm not too worried about it. Rocker and Rumph were both great position coaches, but still easier to replace position coaches than a coordinator, and we still have both Chaney and Ansley. On offense, we replaced a very good position coach (Johnson) with another very good position coach (Graham). Defense will be more interesting, since we are basically replacing the whole staff aside from Ansley. Nevertheless, Pruitt seems to have a knack for recognizing good coaches.

Rocker has never been a great recruiter. Pruitt decided to move on from him. He got a one year deal at Carolina under a coach whose seat is red hot going into next year. His options were minimal bc of his recruiting.

Johnson I had heard was looked at being replaced a few years ago. I thought things had improved but I guess not. Feel like Graham is an upgrade as far as fit and recruiting.

Rumph hell idk if it was a mutual parting or not but I would guess so since he got a better job and his replacement was instantaneous.

I think every replacement was younger and probably will be a better recruiter. Felton is kind of a question mark as a position coach but everywhere else I feel good about.

VN Store

Back