Staff news or your ideas

Anyone heard who will join KJH's staff ?

There is one report out that possibly Coach KJH may not retain any of the current basketball staff. If so this could be a huge mistake on not retaining Sharonna Reaves. Reaves is directly responsible for the top recruiting classes of the last two years and the incoming class as well. Reaves is the only one on the staff that needs to be retained. There is another report that indicates some possible interest in the recruiting coordinator at Ohio State who was formerly at Missouri State. A review of her recruiting accomplishments does not match those of Sharonna Reaves. It is time to support the retention of Sharonna Reaves.

Reactions: EarlVolFan
There is one report out that possibly Coach KJH may not retain any of the current basketball staff. If so this could be a huge mistake on not retaining Sharonna Reaves. Reaves is directly responsible for the top recruiting classes of the last two years and the incoming class as well. Reaves is the only one on the staff that needs to be retained. There is another report that indicates some possible interest in the recruiting coordinator at Ohio State who was formerly at Missouri State. A review of her recruiting accomplishments does not match those of Sharonna Reaves. It is time to support the retention of Sharonna Reaves.

Sharrona Reaves wasn’t a big name when she came to Tennessee. How about we let KJH decide who she wants to put her success in the hands of.

The "message to 2020 recruits on recapturing the LV legacy " from the new coach and staff will be important. And of course Holly's staff have focused on future players for probably years. Recruiting for LVs has little parallels to NCState or Missouri State. Kelly presents herself as a class coach "remember her comment on PHS ability to sell her poise in the huddle to her players. I'm excited.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I beg to differ, she was a pretty big deal at West Virginia when Holly hired her to take Kyra Elzy's place.

BTW, she's from Murfreesboro. NIce lady, I wish her well.

Sharrona Reaves wasn’t a big name when she came to Tennessee. How about we let KJH decide who she wants to put her success in the hands of.

You're completely discounting Sharonna's say in things. How do you know she even wants to stay? The person who hired her was fired, and I am sure she has had other offers, even while still working under Holly. It is entirely possible that she wants to go somewhere else, regardless of whether KJH wants her on staff or not. We're just going to have to see how things shake out.

I would advise her to retain the current strength and conditioning coach but she will be allowed to hire as she wants. Think I would retain Lockwood, myself.

Lockwood needs to be gone unless CHW held him back. The "standing" non-moving offense of the Lady Vols needs to be dumped. If you have a 5-player moving offense, the competition is going to make a mistake allowing points in the paint.

You're completely discounting Sharonna's say in things. How do you know she even wants to stay? The person who hired her was fired, and I am sure she has had other offers, even while still working under Holly. It is entirely possible that she wants to go somewhere else, regardless of whether KJH wants her on staff or not. We're just going to have to see how things shake out.

Although Reaves did not attend UT, she is a native Tennessean. The best thing that could happen would be for Missouri State to chose the former staff member now at Ohio State for a coach. This would probably result in Reaves being retained. I always felt that the success of Reaves should have resulted in a $25,000 per year pay raise and a 5-year contract with a huge buy-out in it.

Although Reaves did not attend UT, she is a native Tennessean. The best thing that could happen would be for Missouri State to chose the former staff member now at Ohio State for a coach. This would probably result in Reaves being retained. I always felt that the success of Reaves should have resulted in a $25,000 per year pay raise and a 5-year contract with a huge buy-out in it.

Again, you have no idea what Sharonna's thought process is. Just because she's from Tennessee doesn't mean she wants to stay there forever. Should could very well WANT to move to another program. You're acting like it's going to be the nail in the coffin for KJH if she doesn't somehow keep Reaves. Tennessee had great recruiting success before her, and they will after her. There are plenty of people who can do that job and do it well. If Sharonna stays, great, if not, oh well. Find the best person available for the job.

For all we know, she was part of the problem with team chemistry. She could have been making promises she couldn't keep to get big signatures, when those promises aren't fulfilled you end up with a lot of turmoil. Still a lot of unkowns about exactly who and what were the problems with the coaching staff and players. It falls mostly on Holly because she was the head coach, but she was saying changes to staff needed to be made. She could have been talking about Reaves.

Reactions: Smallvol#1

I agree not Sharonna Reaves retaining could be a big mistake, Remember Jeff Walz has a opening on his staff and the same position. I don`t think KJH will be able to find someone that can match Sharonna Reaves recruiting ability.

On a radio talk show, KJH stated that her husband would be one of her assistants (no surprise there). And we know the rumors about Jennifer Sullivan now at OSU.

When a new CEO somes in, they generally purge the old regime and put their people in. You don't mixed loyalties or lingering problems from the past mucking up the new order.

Last edited:
On a radio talk show, KJH stated that her husband would be one of her assistants (no surprise there). And we know the rumors about the assistant from Texas.

When a new CEO somes in, they generally purge the old regime and put their people in. You don't mixed loyalties or lingering problems from the past mucking up the new order.

Which coach from Texas?

Would like to see (if not already being done) the LV coach have the girls play an intramural male squad or random group once or twice a week. I think will make the gals a more formidable and confident team.

I agree that Coach Reaves did a great job at UT in recruiting, but it's far more important to the rebirth of the Lady Vols to give the new coach the freedom to establish her own staff. A coaching staff has to work together just like a team. Outside direction concerning assistant coach selection usually doesn't work out very well in any sport. There has to be a fit with the top dog and the top dog is the decider that matters.

KJH seems to be smart and has been in coaching for 15 or more years. If she needs to retain someone and that person can fit in with her style and personality, she'll figure it out.

Would like to see (if not already being done) the LV coach have the girls play an intramural male squad or random group once or twice a week. I think will make the gals a more formidable and confident team.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

Corrected my post. Sorry. Jennifer Sullivan former assistant to KJH and then went to OSU. Have no idea why I was thinking Texas...

Ah OK! Sounds good, I think Sullivan would be a good fit and it is nice she has worked for Kellie before. Seems like a good thing that she did well enough at a mid-major program to have attracted a Power 5 school.

I was nervous when you said Texas, I don't want any part of that, they seem to have the same or worse problems than we were having under Holly. I suspect Karen Aston will not be there too much longer.

I think recruits looking from the outside realize TN was a mess and the culture of the program was not conducive to honing their skills and preparing them for next level. Kelly is taking over a program that has been a mess for 7 years. Reaves is probably good at her job but when you have as many issues with a program perceived or not it's probably best to start fresh and move on with no remnants of a staff that was in turmoil and perceived to be a mess. Perception isn't always reality but for those looking in it very well might be in their eyes. If a new coach comes in and needs to change the culture of the program why would they leave a piece that MAY have been part of the problem. In addition, to be successful it's not just about having someone who has proven to be great at their job but Coach has to have healthy trusting working relationships with her staff. We have no idea if Kelly's style etc will mesh with Reaves. While Reaves was good, this new coach wil be able to sell TN to recruits not MO st or Ohio state. Theres a lot to sell there,

Look at it from this perspective, over the last 20 years do you think any coach in charge of recruiting would fail at UConn? TN is no Uconn but there is a lot of things TN has many programs can't offer. It's alll relative - It's going to be easier sell TN than MO state

You have to trust the coach to surrounds themselves with the best as well as people who can work as a team ON THAT TEAM.

I am totally ok letting the whole staff go.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

\Cute. I was once advised some years back that the UConn. women's team played against male intramural teams. And that was why they began to dominate their sport. True or false, I still think it may be a good idea to toughen and sharpen our gals' skills and mental toughness.

Reactions: glv98
\Cute. I was once advised some years back that the UConn. women's team played against male intramural teams. And that was why they began to dominate their sport. True or false, I still think it may be a good idea to toughen and sharpen our gals' skills and mental toughness.
Maybe better than playing against pillows like they were. Pillows don’t provide much “contact.”

Reactions: WoodsmanVol

Almost all women's teams play against male practice squads and have for some time. Tennessee is no exception. It does cause some issues in live play though. Push-offs are much more obvious when playing against women. Players get used to being able to push off a little in practice and it goes unnoticed because their defender is a 180 pound man. When they try the same thing in live games the 130 pound woman guarding them goes flying.

It is good for building strength and finishing through contact, being forced to shoot over defenders bigger and stronger than you improves skills in many areas for sure.

Is the recruiting coordinator also responsible for coaching? Just a thought that if she keeps Dean Lockwood, adds her husband and the recruiting lady from Ohio State, that will be the entire staff? I cannot imagine why she would keep Dean.

VN Store

Back