Staff is altering Hookers mechanics

A lot of his wild throws I think were incorrect routes. Hooker is really really good at throwing to the route, not the player, which is something we haven’t seen in a long time.

Even with some work I think we’ll still see that occasionally, sometimes the receiver just runs the wrong way.

I’d personally like to see Hooker take a few more risks next year. Especially on plays when we go for it on 4th, he tends to get conservative on those. Sometimes when nothing’s there you just gotta chuck it up and let your receiver make a play or draw a flag.

WE won’t. No promises for the guys who’ve spent their careers working with quarterbacks.

I fully believe the coaches know what they're doing ...especially Josh Heupel , but kids don't always translate new movements that feel alien to them . Anyway , I understand the reasoning though. If you see something that isn't efficient use of motion , I guess you have to try to correct it .

"put the football in a better position at the beginning of the throw" - sound to me like he's going more Philip Rivers / Tom Brady like in the mechanic.
Does a couple of things. It allows the option to transition from a pass to a hand off happen much quicker and cleaner and it allows the pass come out of the hands of the QB much. much faster.
If you watch those guys like Brady, Rivers, Rodgers, etc. you see they only have that ball for about a second when passing after starting the action to throw.

Reactions: LittleVol
This usually never works out well…
I wonder how many times Cutcliffe altered Peyton or Eli's mechanics with little tweeks?
Just saying we tend to pay more attention to things like this when it doesn't work out versus when it does...time will tell.

Reactions: irish1485
I wonder how many times Cutcliffe altered Peyton or Eli's mechanics with little tweeks?
Just saying we tend to pay more attention to things like this when it doesn't work out versus when it does...time will tell.

I could see making changes if he weren’t literally coming off the best season any QB at Tennessee has had outside of maybe a handful of guys

Manning, Clausen, Ainge, Dobbs.

I’d much rather them work on his decision making when it comes to pass or run. If his running ability catches up to his passing ability he has a great chance to be one of the greats at Tennessee. Imo.

Reactions: LittleVol
A lot of his wild throws I think were incorrect routes. Hooker is really really good at throwing to the route, not the player, which is something we haven’t seen in a long time.

Even with some work I think we’ll still see that occasionally, sometimes the receiver just runs the wrong way.

I’d personally like to see Hooker take a few more risks next year. Especially on plays when we go for it on 4th, he tends to get conservative on those. Sometimes when nothing’s there you just gotta chuck it up and let your receiver make a play or draw a flag.

That works when you have a reliable guy who will win 1v1 at a high percentage.

I fully believe the coaches know what they're doing ...especially Josh Heupel , but kids don't always translate new movements that feel alien to them . Anyway , I understand the reasoning though. If you see something that isn't efficient use of motion , I guess you have to try to correct it .
I’ll roll with he knows when not to overtinker.

Reactions: Bret178
changing a hookers mechanics could possibly cost you another 20 spot... Just saying.

Go VOLS

VN Store

Back