Stadium Renderings

Just gotta get the crowd morale up. If we beat Florida and LSU this year, I can guarantee you there'll be 100,000 in the Knoxville area wanting to cheer that on.

Last year was louder than I can remember, save for the long OT game with Arkansas, and the 98 Florida and Arkansas games.

The Notre Dame game had some huge emotion. Some emotion that I wrote an article about on another site. However, Neyland Stadium is NOT as loud as it could be, and that is because of the "grandfathered" season ticket holders that are too old to cheer and boo.

That being said, as unpopular as Mike Hamilton's decision was to start making those grandfathered ticket holders pay more or give up their seats, it did help the crowd volume last season, and will continue too. I also think the changes to the stadium will run off some of the older fans (led scoreboard and changes to "the way things were") and that can only help the crowd noise as well.

Originally posted by BeltwayVol@Jun 6, 2005 10:28 PM
The Notre Dame game had some huge emotion.  Some emotion that I wrote an article about on another site.  However, Neyland Stadium is NOT as loud as it could be, and that is because of the "grandfathered" season ticket holders that are too old to cheer and boo.

[snapback]101480[/snapback]​

Seemed to me that the defense had to get down on their hands and knees and beg the crowd to make some noise during that Notre Dame game. I thought that Jason Allens arms were going to fall off..

Plus you've got a lot of fans who are more worried about when to woo during Rocky Top than when it is appropriate to get in the opposing QBs head.

Not a knock on Vol fans, it's the same in any stadium - just saying that if we ever got everybody on the same page, it would be impossible for an opposing team to use a snap count.

I'm not really sure when and where the crowd got so relaxed. I think a lot of people just expect Tennessee to win now and feel that they don't need to do much. It is a tough place to play on key downs, but all in all, I don't think the opposing QB's worry about it much anymore...

I'll post my article here.....

With two minutes and fifty-six seconds left in the third quarter on Saturday, Knoxville Tennessee, more accurately Neyland Stadium was in the middle of a firestorm of emotions that I have never witnessed, or ever even heard of existing.

Tennessee was down 14-10. They were also down to their third string quarterback. Everything seemed doomed. It was the type of moment that seemed insurmountable. The moment actually began a few minutes before the 2:56 mark of the third. Notre Dame had the football and was about to begin another drive as they searched for a knockout blow. CBS was at commercial; the Volunteers defense was on the field. Tennessee players, led by Jason Allen, began waving their hands in the air asking for support from the fans. As fans, we had given it before, but never like this. We were down before to better teams and by bigger margins, but we were never this low. As though someone had thrown a circuit breaker of emotion, the Neyland Stadium crowd got to their feet and screamed and yelled like never before. The players felt the emotion, the coaches felt the emotion, and every single person inside Neyland Stadium felt the emotion. Tennessee fans had little to cheer or scream for. They were losing and had just lost two talented quarterbacks in as many weeks, but with a Holy Ghost revival kind of support, the Vol fans summoned their own version of Touchdown Jesus.

Almost everyone in the stadium was screaming. I say almost, because I wasn’t. I couldn’t. I stood in my section, N Box 1 Row 2 Seat 23, and soaked in the emotions. I looked from left to right scanning the crowd. I saw the band playing, their heads moving back and forth, but I couldn’t hear a note. I looked into the faces of kids beside me. Their enthusiasm was as infectious as the black plague. I looked over at my fiancée and my best friend. I saw the desire in their faces, the need in their hearts. They, along with all of our new friends, were willing the Tennessee defense to make the stop. They did, then the fan’s emotion continued to flow and ooze throughout the stadium. From the upper decks, past us, and down unto the field, the love for the Vols streamed down to the players on the field like a “Vol”canic eruption of Big Orange lava streaming down Mount Rocky Top.

Then it happened, the Vol’s third-string quarterback launched a 39-yard pass into the air and Robert Meacham made the adjustment and fell down on the Notre Dame twenty-one yard line with the catch. At that moment, as the Vol fans exploded, and the whole top of Rocky Top shot into the air, the streaming began again. Only this time, it was tears, and they were streaming down my face.

The Vols didn’t win; in fact they didn’t even score a touchdown after that swell of emotion. However, the Vols gave me more than a win. The Vols gave me another memory.

Some people on this board talk about being “real”. They talk about being “true fans”. Others in the Orange Nation want to blame the players, coaches, and anyone they can. When I think about being “real” and about being a “true fan”, I can’t think of anything more “real” or more supportive as a fan, than the emotional wave I experienced on Saturday night. Thank you Vols. Not for a win, and not for great coaching or perfect execution, but thank you for being “Real”!

Does Neyland really have "vomitories"? If so, are they what they sound like? :p

"Widen existing vomitories in the west stand to increase access to the lower seating area."

This is a quote from the notes accompanying the rendering of the concourse. Scroll down.

Depending on your level of intoxication - A vomitorium is either an aisle entry . . . . . or the place where all those people who don't make it back to their seats before the start of the 3rd quarter end up. :lol:

I have to admit that I've come close to needing the vomitory at a few games in my collegiate days :p

Rum and 5 Alive up at Maplehurst Apt.s to get the old "game face" on. :whistle:

Ahhhh. Fuzzy memories.

vom·i·to·ry (vm-tôr, -tr) KEY

ADJECTIVE:

Inducing vomiting; vomitive.
NOUN:
pl. vom·i·to·ries
1. Something that induces vomiting.
2. An aperture through which matter is discharged.
3. One of the tunnellike passages of an amphitheater or stadium between the seats and the outside wall or passageway.

File this one in the "learn a new word a day" category.

What does this say about fans :question: :laugh1:

VN Store

Back