Spurrier on the SEC additions

Fulmer did a great job of not meddling with Cutcliffe. He didn't meddle with Chavis either, but should have on numerous occasions

9ba7272accaad8fd1c448f7d4d9a7019_crop_north.jpg

Now, now, I know it's possible to laugh at Spurrier, a lot. Quitting mid-season, going out the way he did.

But don't forget, he is a Tennessee boy. Yes, it took a Tennessee boy going down to miserable Florida to make them something for the first time in their wretched existence.

So let's don't be _too_ hard on ole Quitter Steve.

;)

I get the angst while he was at FL and SC. And he definitely likes to take jabs at us……. several years later, you don’t have to like him, but I think you ought to at least respect the career and appreciate the wit in retrospect. I wish we had a lot more coaches chirping instead of the majority of the vanilla coach speak we get most of the time today.

I’ll admit it…….I like him

I get the angst while he was at FL and SC. And he definitely likes to take jabs at us……. several years later, you don’t have to like him, but I think you ought to at least respect the career and appreciate the wit in retrospect. I wish we had a lot more coaches chirping instead of the majority of the vanilla coach speak we get most of the time today.

I’ll admit it…….I like him

His trash talk always added some extra spice to the rivalry. Seeing him throw the visor down always made a great play by us even more enjoyable.

I admit that my fondness for Spurrier increases with the passage of time. He seems to have run relatively clean programs (I've heard that he was not without a role in Bama being sanctioned, as he couldn't stand having to compete against cheaters). He spoke without a filter and "called it like he saw it," something that's becoming increasingly rare (to our detriment). And, as A.J. said above, his barbs and visor-tossing made it all the more fun to beat his teams.

P.S. -- By contrast, I can't imagine that I'll ever look back fondly on a Saban, a Meyer, or a Smart.

Last edited:
I never liked him until I saw the documentary with Kenny chesney. No matter what anyone can say, he did care about his players!

I lot of stupid golfers from Texas are winning a lot on money on the PGA tours and have form almost a 100 years.

I would guess a high percentage of Americans who won a British Open grew up playing in Texas. They know how to play in wind, and how to use a "Texas wedge" from way off the green.

It's really weird..........

I hate UF, but have always loved the 'Ole Ball Coach.
I can't stand Duke, but loved Christian Laettner

VN Store

Back