Spurrier gonna Spurrier

I knew Spurrier as a kid. He wanted to play at UT. He loved UT. BUT...he was a QB and UT was still committed to the single wing. So, Knoxville's postmaster (Edwin Graves) recruited Steve to play for his brother (Ray Graves) at Florida. Both Graves played for Neyland.

Spurrier's pokes at the Vols run much deeper than ever losing to them.

I read this somewhere - that his style didn’t fit UT’s system at the time. I always felt like he wanted to play for UT and that’s where all the trash talking came from.

Interesting twist, given he was born in Florida but grew up in Tenneseee.

The Ole Ball Coach was a great one. His barbs were classic. It was at SEC media days in 2014 when he called Kevin Sumlin, who had just signed a deal paying him 5M/yr, "a good negotiator."

After a fire at the Auburn library destroyed 20 books: “The real tragedy was that 15 hadn’t been colored yet.”

And don’t forget calling Florida State “Free Shoes University!” 🤣

rc6oig.jpg

Spurrier is a good coach and surprisingly hasn’t had a heart attack. He’s funny and tells it like it is with jabs at opponents. We could’ve thrown the bank account at him with all our hires over the last ten years. We probably would be better off

Reactions: DWright39
Never realized UT fans could be so butthurt about him quitting on SC. Haha, its really strange.

I honestly don't get why so many Tennessee fans like Spurrier. He's like the spoiled kid that if he doesn't get his way is taking his ball and go home. He quit on USC during the season because they were losing, period! There was no other reason. He's a smart arse with a quick tongue to poke fun at others, while he can't take a joke, which is another character trait I don't care for as well. I respect the fact he's an offensive genius, but I don't care for him otherwise.

Never realized UT fans could be so butthurt about him quitting on SC. Haha, its really strange.

We were slapping around The Old Ball Sack like a raggedy ann doll.

Then he q-u-I-t-s and the Cocks bring in mighty Muschump who is like 173-0 against the vols.

I appreciate Spurrier's resume' and coaching accomplishments. I didnt like his mouth then. and certainly not now. Its beyond me why someone's mouth gives them more visibility than others. look at what Phillip has done for this University. I dont see much media exposure...nationally...and honestly the way he's gone about it quietly (ok, mostly), and humbly...should be lauded. Not some loud mouth washed up Gator.

VN Store

Back