Spurrier Better Retire While He Can

BeltwayVol

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- Brian Brownlee and Woodly Telfort, the two ex-South Carolina players facing the most serious charges involving thefts at Williams-Brice Stadium last November, claim in court documents that coach Steve Spurrier told the team no one would face criminal charges if the stolen items were returned.

Brownlee and Telfort both were charged with felony grand larceny last January. Brownlee confessed to taking two laptop computers, each valued at $4,000, and two computer projectors, worth about $1,675 and $850, according to an arrest warrant. Telfort admitted taking a $4,000 laptop from the stadium, according to an arrest warrant.

Hemphill Pride, an attorney for both Brownlee and Telfort, said Monday the players want the charges dismissed.

The players cases are scheduled to go to trial Aug. 29. The items were taken after players were told they would not be going to a bowl game as punishment for an on-field brawl with Clemson.

Spurrier issued a statement Monday night saying the university's attorney had asked him not to comment because of the pending criminal charges. "When the time is appropriate, I'll answer any questions relative to this matter," the statement said.

Telfort alleged he relied on Spurrier's promise that no charges would be filed when he returned the stolen laptop, according to the court documents. Brownlee claimed he returned the items he took to former South Carolina administrator Harold White before Spurrier's promise.

However, after university president Andrew Sorensen learned the scope of the thefts, Brownlee and Telfort were arrested, according to the court filings.

"Sorensen was irate, [former athletic director Mike] McGee resigned; and the defendant along with other players were sacrificed for the image of USC," according to both filings.

McGee announced his resignation after more than 12 years at South Carolina in January. However, McGee repeatedly said he left on his own. Sorensen urged McGee to stay on and tried to retain him as a consultant. McGee turned the offer down and moved to his ranch in Colorado.

University spokesman Russ McKinney said school officials would have no comment because of the pending legal matters.

The thefts involved six former or current players at South Carolina. Brownlee, a tight end who graduated last December, and Telfort, an offensive lineman dismissed by Spurrier, were the only ones charged with felonies. About $18,000 in stolen video and computer equipment and framed photographs were taken from the stadium on Nov. 22 sometime after McGee told players they had lost out on a bowl game as punishment for an on-field brawl with Clemson days earlier.

The court documents, filed at the Richland County Courthouse on Monday, claim McGee used a "racial epitaph" that insulted Brownlee and Telfort "and a number of other African-American players."

Pride said McGee's term was "something like hooligans," but far from the harshest slur you might think of.

McGee, reached at his Colorado home, said he made no such reference in talking to the team.

The documents also allege that on or near last Dec. 2, McGee "ordered Associate Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst, who is second in command to McGee, to file a false Incident Report with the USC Division of Law Enforcement indicating all missing items had been returned."

McGee said the idea that Eichorst was ordered to file a false police report was "inaccurate."

On Dec. 8, Spurrier held a team meeting where he told players that "no criminal charges would be brought against any player involved if all the items removed from the USC Stadium were returned immediately," according to the documents.

In Brownlee's case, former South Carolina assistant coach Paul Lounsberry reiterated Spurrier's words to players, "I don't know whether or not you have any of the items but, if you do, bring them over and that will be the end of it," the player claimed in court papers.

Based on Spurrier's assurance, Telfort says he returned the laptop computer, according to documents.

Affidavits from linemen Freddy Saint-Preux, James Thompson and Gurminder Thind were attached with the court filings. All three said there was a meeting where Spurrier said there would be no consequences if the stolen property was brought back.

As far as Spurrier's words to the team, McGee said he was not present at that meeting. "You'd have to talk with coach Spurrier," he said.

The filings included a police report from Dec. 2 that detailed a meeting between Maj. Eric Grabski, deputy director of field services for South Carolina's police department, and Eichorst.

Eichorst told Grabski, according to the report, that the items taken were "never stolen and no larceny had taken place."

The police report said "there are facts that may support probable cause for the arrest" of Eichorst.

Eichorst did not return a phone message left at his office or at his home.

When asked if this information detailed an attempt to minimize the thefts, Pride said, "You read it, it is what it is."

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

I'm having a hard time following this . . . Am I supposed to have sympathy for the players? They could have avoided all of this if they hadn't acted like complete hooligans and committed Breaking and Entering and Theft.

My bet is he called them hoodlums... and then they went and stole $18,000 worth of equipment? Were they just out to prove him right?

"Hoodlum" does not have a racial connotation; that's ridiculous

Hood-Lum: Noun.
Def: One who steals $18,000 worth of equipment after being reprimanded for participating in the most tasteless, classless, and ugliest brawl in college football history
Antonym: Student-Athlete

This is exactly like the Bammers that are more worried about how they got caught instead of what they actually did.

What was their alternative - to take all the stolen property to the pawn shop???

My question is: who is Spurrier to promise that no charges would be filed for what was certainly an obvious criminal act? Ol' Steve is really digging a hole over there, as if it weren't deep enough already in Columbia.

Probably gonna be a right interesting year in ol' Columbia, wouldn't you think?

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Aug 9, 2005 12:48 PM
My question is:  who is Spurrier to promise that no charges would be filed for what was certainly an obvious criminal act?  Ol' Steve is really digging a hole over there, as if it weren't deep enough already in Columbia.
[snapback]124390[/snapback]​

None of this makes sense.

Originally posted by surrealvol@Aug 9, 2005 12:57 PM
[snapback]124396[/snapback]​

Let's think now. Wasn't it just a few months ago that the Old Visor Coach :angel: :angel: was making disparaging remarks about the off-field discipline problems Coach Fullmer was facing.

How do you spell hypocrit? Try, S-P-U-R-R-I-ER! :bad:

Originally posted by KYVolFan@Aug 15, 2005 3:59 PM
How do you spell hypocrit?
[snapback]126899[/snapback]​

This may just be the funniest thing I've read today! Kudos!

lolololololol

Originally posted by surrealvol@Aug 9, 2005 11:57 AM
[snapback]124396[/snapback]​

What is about S Carolina that destroys previously good coaches. Examples: Paul Dietzel, Lou Holtz. Spurrier could have had his pick of good jobs. Why did he take that one? The golf courses there ain't that great.

I am not sure Steve can be held accountable whether he said it or not. He could simply say, " I meant I would do all I can to get the charges dropped." When push comes to shove, that decision ultimately falls on his bosses' shoulders or the university president. I am not sure I can add more to the thread than what has already been said, except as to say that I have called Steve Spurrier many many things in my life, but a crook and a liar are not amongst them. This isn't his mess, he is cleaning up other people's messes. BTW wncvolfan I have to politely disagree. I am not sure it is a South Carolina issue, I think it is the coach's issue. I wouldn't call Lou Holtz a good coach, maybe a winning coach, but I suspect some his moves were less than honorable. I really can't speak for Paul Dietzel. But this specter has been raised with Lou a few times before. Also, it isn't the golf courses, it is the weather for the golf courses that probably lured Steve, along with a little freedom to run the program the way he thinks it should be run.

Originally posted by wncvolfan@Aug 15, 2005 6:04 PM
What is about S Carolina that destroys previously good coaches.  Examples:  Paul Dietzel, Lou Holtz.  Spurrier could have had his pick of good jobs.  Why did he take that one?  The golf courses there ain't that great.
[snapback]126937[/snapback]​

:nono: Not so quick, my friend!!! Lest we forget, wasn't it "The Mastergaiters" who essentially turned down The Old Visor Coach's re-coronation as their head coach. :bad: After his miserable failure as a pro-coach, :yuck: he probably knew that a good opportunity (actually his last chance) would be any school that would actually pay him. :twocents: :twocents:

It is my opinion that he left Florida originally because he knew the talent wasn't there for the future and his system was no longer capable of mysticizing opposing defensive coordinators. :banghead: :banghead: Sometime the getting out is good.

:cool: :cool:

Originally posted by KYVolFan@Aug 18, 2005 5:26 PM
:nono: Not so quick, my friend!!!
[snapback]127970[/snapback]​

Fast....it's not so fast my friend.... :p

VN Store

Back