Spring Practice #6

Fingers

Updates in progress.

VIDEO

CLIPS

NOTES

Neither tight end Princeton Fant or running back Jabari Small were dressed out today. Neither is believed to be a major ordeal, but might be worth noting considering there’s a scrimmage tomorrow.

Both Hooker and Milton missed high once (that I saw) while Jackson threw one pass behind his target. But that’s about it.

Jalin Hyatt made a really nice catch in the back of the end zone, going up to pull down a high throw from Jackson. Squirrel White had a good day running routes from the slot. Ramel Keyton received special instruction from Kelsey Pope a couple of times during the period.

The only ‘bad’ drop I saw (while out there) was from Julian Nixon on a slant pattern in the end zone.

Defensively, the cornerback group is continued to be led by sophomore Christian Charles. The safety-by-nature is taking advantage of a new opportunity and excelling in the early-going. Newcomer Desmond Williams was not having a good day while we were out there as Willie Martinez was getting after him on several occasions to ‘do the drill right.’

Tamarion McDonald is still working at safety, along with Jaylen McCollough and Trevon Flowers. Defensive back Doneiko Slaughter was not in pads for the second-straight day and as joined by fellow teammates Warren Burrell, DeShawn Ricker, Kamal Hadden and Brandon Turnage in the stretch line – wearing a jersey but with no pads.

Remember, Bumphus was seen on crutches at UT’s Pro Day on Wednesday.
e.cain

Jimmy Holiday made a nice adjustment and followed it up with a one-handed grab that you can see below, while Kaleb Webb went over the shoulder for a snag as well.

This year, Golesh has continued spreading the love, albeit with more of a focus on another newcomer: Charlie Browder.

Golesh worked with Browder individually at several points Friday, coaching him on alignment and blocking before correcting him on a route.
si

Tennessee already had four cornerbacks on the shelf for spring football and the makeshift group was a little lighter on Friday morning. Doneiko Slaughter was present but was not in uniform and not going through drills with the cornerbacks. Primarily a Star during his career for the Vols, Slaughter has been working at cornerback this spring because the Vols don't have Warren Burrell, Brandon Turnage, Kamal Hadden or De'Shawn Rucker available due to injuries or recovery.

By my count, Tennessee had two scholarship cornerbacks at Friday's practice: Christian Charles, who was a safety during his freshman season, and junior college transfer Desmond Williams. There were four walk-ons as well, one of whom (Trel Riley) was in a yellow non-contact jersey. The other non-scholarship cornerbacks were all in-state products in William Wright (redshirt sophomore out of Ensworth in Nashville), Montrell Bandy (redshirt freshman from Mount Juliet) and Lucien Brunetti (redshirt freshman out of Montgomery Bell Academy in Nashville).

The safety spot was a little better with Trevon Flowers, Jaylen McCollough, Tamarion McDonald and Cheyenne Labruzza going through drills for that group, but Willie Martinez was working with a skeleton crew.

One of the standouts for me was freshman Kaleb Webb, who made a couple of nice grabs, including a fingertip grab of a fade on which he got a toe down in the back of the end zone that drew a couple of "Oohs" from the coaches watching the work. Also thought Joe Milton III was sharp with one dart to Jimmy Holiday on a slant and some touch on a fade to Jimmy Calloway.

Walker Merrill continues to work outside, leaving Calloway and freshman Marquarius White working in the slot behind Jalin Hyatt. The sophomore is at the position working behind Tillman alongside freshmen Chas Nimrod, who's made a good start to the spring, and Cameron Miller.

Didn't see Princeton Fant as the tight end group present was Jacob Warren, Julian Nixon, Hunter Salmon, Charlie Browder and Titus Rohrer. That group is working without Miles Campbell this spring as well.

Florida offensive tackle transfer Gerald Mincey was in a walking boot at Pro Day on Wednesday, but he was out there practicing normally on Friday morning.
p.brown

Last edited:
Hate to hear Bumphus is dealing with yet another injury. Felt like he had found a home on the DL but hasn’t stayed healthy. Hope it isn’t serious and he can contribute with his last year of eligibility.

Reactions: American_PitVol
Thanks Fingers for the work you put in. Great job as always.

Concerns with the defense, especially at CB, are making me more anxious about the upcoming season than normal.

It seems like expectations on the team in Heupel year 2 will be pretty high. Offense should meet expectations. Defense scares the heck out of me.

Reactions: vettefool
Concerns with the defense, especially at CB, are making me more anxious about the upcoming season than normal.

It seems like expectations on the team in Heupel year 2 will be pretty high. Offense should meet expectations. Defense scares the heck out of me.

Yes, bad luck that Burrell, Rucker, and Hadden all out this Spring. But, maybe gives a few more reps to Des Williams and Charles than they would have had.

I think Charles is going to push heavy for playing time even when we get everyone back. We need some talent to improve and some players reach their potential at cb and safety. Our corners need to get healthy before fall. GBO!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

How high are your expectations in year 2? I expect 8 wins, a top 25 offense and an improved defense. Anything above that is a little unrealistic imo.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Need some portal help in the defensive backfield in a bad way.. even when fully healthy we're not good enough at those spots
Hadden showed some tenacity last year. Charles i think will take a spot if not at safety.

Honestly wouldn't mind them giving Calloway a try at CB. Kid was a monster there in high school.

I think Desmond Williams will get his footing a be a big time contributor.

Need the pass rush to come on strong to help out, because yeah this DB unit doesn't have much room for error

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
How high are your expectations in year 2? I expect 8 wins, a top 25 offense and an improved defense. Anything above that is a little unrealistic imo.

I think 8-9 wins is the expectation I and most fans will have. But a step back with defensive secondary could jeopardize finishing with a better record than last year. Losing A. Taylor hurts. Our defensive depth makes me anxious.

Hadden showed some tenacity last year. Charles i think will take a spot if not at safety.

Honestly wouldn't mind them giving Calloway a try at CB. Kid was a monster there in high school.

I think Desmond Williams will get his footing a be a big time contributor.

Need the pass rush to come on strong to help out, because yeah this DB unit doesn't have much room for error

Man imagine if we had gotten the two CBs went to Aubrun from Juco.Ive been saying something but most act like we got 6 5th yr seniors but u know 🤷‍♂️.Theirs a reason we wanted those 2 and Verse.No biggie you lose some but those 3 in particular would have me feeling way different right now!

Can't really judge the CBs right now, since most of them are out.

Can't really judge the CBs right now, since most of them are out.

Most of them didn't really play last year neither.Were gonna need some magic back there asap.Had these guys been together 1 or eve 2 yrs okay maybe some hope.I have no faith that all those guys show up,know the scheme,in shape and also be able to communicate with their teammates.They almost have to grab a portal guy or 2 or switch a safety wr.I wonder if a couple don't go to D n the 2ndary outta necessity after spring?Trust me we might need 100 points if we don't fix that.

VN Store

Back