Spring practice #3. first day in full pads

I had to look him up myself........former walk-on who earned a scholarship. 6’7 325 from Sullivan East. Hopefully he ends up being our very own Brandon Burlsworth type story(minus the ending).
Wasn’t he the lineman that caused the stoener fumble?

Seems like Riley and Whitehead have been hurt since the day they walked on campus. My body probably couldn't take that pounding. Then again, I got a job and worked my way through school.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
He was also really smart and anticipated well. He had a knack for getting OL's in a bad position with their bodies.

Since his first day at practice as a Vol, all everyone talked about was Barnett's motor. It was high rev and never went to idle, 100% output 100% of the time no dawdling or taking plays off if he was on the field at all.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be that much of a surprise if Maurer stepped up. He has the most physical talent in the group. That said... routes on air favor the guys with physical talent. The winner of the job will be the guy who manages the O, makes good decisions, and then delivers the ball on time and target. That will be more revealed in live scrimmage than anything reporters are seeing right now.

Speak for yourself! After seeing how many times he threw the ball where it shouldn't have been thrown, I would be very surprised if he wins the starting job. Heading into the spring I had Bailey as the favorite but considering how quiet he was when all his teammates were on Twitter and Instragram assuring fans that they weren't going anywhere, and how vocal his dad was in his support of Pruitt, and how Maurer has stuck with the Vols when all signs point to someone else being the starter... I'm pulling for BM to win the job.

Reactions: whodeycin85
Speak for yourself! After seeing how many times he threw the ball where it shouldn't have been thrown, I would be very surprised if he wins the starting job. Heading into the spring I had Bailey as the favorite but considering how quiet he was when all his teammates were on Twitter and Instragram assuring fans that they weren't going anywhere, and how vocal his dad was in his support of Pruitt, and how Maurer has stuck with the Vols when all signs point to someone else being the starter... I'm pulling for BM to win the job.
We have three guys competing for the job. Maurer is the most physically talented of the 3. I'm not predicting him to be the starter... but it would not be a surprise.

Maurer's mistakes weren't without explanation. He was a young guy who was thrown out there before he was ready because JG utterly failed... after being the focus of attention by the staff over the whole offseason. I think Pruitt was faced with a choice of having an open competition between Maurer, Shrout, and JG... or investing in "fixing" JG. He chose the latter thinking it safer and sealed his own fate and that of the program for the last couple of years.

All this considered... he still has to get better. He has to learn and command the O. He has to make good reads. He needs to avoid mistakes and TO's.

Really need to get Len'Neth Whitehead at LB. He's probably not going to be playing at running back ahead of Tiyon Evans, Small, Beckwith, and possibly Hodge. Meanwhile LB doesn't even have enough people to practice.

Good observation and I hope our coaches are already considering your suggestion for the same reasons. Whitehead was a highly rated MLB coming out of high school, but as someone already mentioned he seems to stay hurt. His roster bio says he missed the last seven games of his senior HS season, and all of his freshman season here last year. Some players just seem to be brittle. Hopefully that's not the case with this young man.
Len'Neth Whitehead - Football - University of Tennessee Athletics

We have a tradition of making freshmen earn the removal of the black stripe. Looks like the new staff decided to remind the players that nobody has earned anything from them yet, so they're all in stripes. Just a guess.
Lol well I obviously know the old tradition from the Butch Jones Era. I am trying to get “factual” information from my question, not just “assumptions” but I appreciate your comment.

Good observation and I hope our coaches are already considering your suggestion for the same reasons. Whitehead was a highly rated MLB coming out of high school, but as someone already mentioned he seems to stay hurt. His roster bio says he missed the last seven games of his senior HS season, and all of his freshman season here last year. Some players just seem to be brittle. Hopefully that's not the case with this young man.
Len'Neth Whitehead - Football - University of Tennessee Athletics
He missed because he had surgery to fix that HS injury.

Lol well I obviously know the old tradition from the Butch Jones Era. I am trying to get “factual” information from my question, not just “assumptions” but I appreciate your comment.
It doesn't sound like you appreciate my comment. I am deeply offended.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL

VN Store

Back