Spring practice #3. first day in full pads

Can Maurer stay healthy?
We don't know. Maybe he will get flipped on his head in a freak injury again... or maybe you'll die of food poisoning due to a mistaken test by some QC somewhere?

Maurer has had periods where he was "banged up"... which pretty much describes every player on every roster.

a. price

Jeremy Banks wasn't at practice. Jalin Hyatt, Tiyon Evans and Cheyenne Labruzza weren't in pads. Malachi Wideman was limited during drills. Tyler Baron worked with the defensive line and Kenney Solomon worked with wide receivers, per ubben.

p. brown

Sure wish Whitehead would
get healthy.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

a. price

Jeremy Banks wasn't at practice. Jalin Hyatt, Tiyon Evans and Cheyenne Labruzza weren't in pads. Malachi Wideman was limited during drills. Tyler Baron worked with the defensive line and Kenney Solomon worked with wide receivers, per ubben.

p. brown

1Vol8 will seize this information posted and claim Maurer is guaranteed to be the next Joe Burrow.

Reactions: Volnatic
1Vol8 will seize this information posted and claim Maurer is guaranteed to be the next Joe Burrow.
Actually 1vol8 will do exactly what’s he’s done. He’ll read the information, remember how the narrative changed in 2019 once he became the starter, and not make a big deal out of it. Next practice may read differently. That being said I think it’s obvious that I don’t expect anything less than a solid performance in this style of play

Actually 1vol8 will do exactly what’s he’s done. He’ll read the information, remember how the narrative changed in 2019 once he became the starter, and not make a big deal out of it. Next practice may read differently. That being said I think it’s obvious that I don’t expect anything less than a solid performance in this style of play
Did your narrative change when Maurer stunk it up in 2020? No, you blamed it on everything else but Maurer.

I’m not a couch coach and therefore understand the need for preparation at the qb position so no, my narrative didn’t change. Why would it?
There you go again , using excuses for Maurer's performances last year. Maurer also needs to take the initiative to be ready when called upon. Being ready when the opportunities come will separate the winners from the losers. I wish him and all the other Qb candidates the best. Hopefully at least one will turn out to be a quality SEC starter.

There you go again , using excuses for Maurer's performances last year. Maurer also needs to take the initiative to be ready when called upon. Being ready when the opportunities come will separate the winners from the losers. I wish him and all the other Qb candidates the best. Hopefully at least one will turn out to be a quality SEC starter.
It’s not excuses. Let me explain how I personally do it. Not saying it’s right, wrong or indifferent.

If I have a team that has a pocket passer as qb1 (like JG) and a duel threat as qb2 (like Maurer) then I install the offense around the skill set of qb1. However IF qb2 is needed there is a series of plays installed to take advantage of that weeks opponent defense as a package for his skill set alone every single week. Pruitt didn’t do that. Every other coach I’ve ever encountered does. Even if you have qb1 and qb2 both that are pocket passers , you STILL DO NOT roll into a game without a set of plays that qb2 does well. If you do, your team as a WHOLE is unprepared. Make sense or do you think I’m just making excuses?

Agreed. I will say that with Slingblade's favoritism and constant meddling, Weinke's distraction with polishing his Heisman, as well as the lack of practice and development afforded anyone but JG, it is really hard to know just how these kids will respond to a new, competent staff.

Frankly, I'd put my bet on Hooker due to experience....but who the heck knows?

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
I know it’s incredibly early in the process, but it seems like Bailey is the least likely to succeed in this offense. It will be interesting to see how the QB development plays out.

I know it’s incredibly early in the process, but it seems like Bailey is the least likely to succeed in this offense. It will be interesting to see how the QB development plays out.
I mean right now he is running 1st through every rep. I know that’s not a significant indication he will be the starter but you don’t hear CJH correcting him very much.

I mean right now he is running 1st through every rep. I know that’s not a significant indication he will be the starter but you don’t hear CJH correcting him very much.
I read somewhere not to take the order they go in as a sign of things with CJH. Idk if they meant period or for now.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
I read somewhere not to take the order they go in as a sign of things with CJH. Idk if they meant period or for now.
That’s probably true. But in all the videos he doesn’t correct HB like ever. He got in trouble for that one low pass but then zipped one on the next throw.

What I do like though is that the guys are literally working on body position and release and it is being monitored like crazy with subtle fixes to each from the Head Coach.

That’s all you can ask for in helping the QBs grow.

That’s probably true. But in all the videos he doesn’t correct HB like ever. He got in trouble for that one low pass but then zipped one on the next throw.

What I do like though is that the guys are literally working on body position and release and it is being monitored like crazy with subtle fixes to each from the Head Coach.

That’s all you can ask for in helping the QBs grow.
The reports said he missed a few but the video only showed the one you referred to. Of course we’re not seeing every throw and I know from experience that the reports have been FOS in the recent past. So idk what to believe at this point. Maybe that’s one thing CJH is changing behind the scenes because he certainly doesn’t seem to hide the qbs like JP. Then again he doesn’t have a reason to hide like Pruitt did either.

The reports said he missed a few but the video only showed the one you referred to. Of course we’re not seeing every throw and I know from experience that the reports have been FOS in the recent past. So idk what to believe at this point. Maybe that’s one thing CJH is changing behind the scenes because he certainly doesn’t seem to hide the qbs like JP. Then again he doesn’t have a reason to hide like Pruitt did either.

True. I’m not too worried if HB misses a short or intermediate throw, that isn’t where his game struggles.

Once they start throwing that long ball, that is where I will be watching. If he is struggling with that aspect CJH is not going to start him. So, if that happens it could be Maurer or Hookers game.

I think the O has to be focused a different way if HB wins the job. But he was incredibly consistent on short throws last year. They can build on that if he wins out.

It’s not excuses. Let me explain how I personally do it. Not saying it’s right, wrong or indifferent.

If I have a team that has a pocket passer as qb1 (like JG) and a duel threat as qb2 (like Maurer) then I install the offense around the skill set of qb1. However IF qb2 is needed there is a series of plays installed to take advantage of that weeks opponent defense as a package for his skill set alone every single week. Pruitt didn’t do that. Every other coach I’ve ever encountered does. Even if you have qb1 and qb2 both that are pocket passers , you STILL DO NOT roll into a game without a set of plays that qb2 does well. If you do, your team as a WHOLE is unprepared. Make sense or do you think I’m just making excuses?
Excuses. You have bias.

I think if that's still happening in the fall or if he goes out first with the starters on a consistent basis then it begins to point in his direction.

I haven't heard him correcting any of them much on the snippets we get. We could probably get a pretty good feel if we could watch a couple of full practices.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
I’m not concerned in the least about which QB is getting which reps. We’ve been horrible at QB the last 3-4 years and it’s hurt our team tremendously! I say let the best man win, and may they all progress and get better...it’s a long season and we will need them all before it’s over! GBO!

And you very obviously do too.
No I don’t. 1Vol8 has bias because of a personal coaching relationship with Maurer. I was a big Maurer fan his freshman year. I evaluate Maurer today based on his opportunities last year. I also was discouraged by Bailey and JT in the Texas A&M game. They looked a lot like JG in that game. I hope things are different this year and someone steps up. If it is Maurer, fine, I just want one of them to to turn out to be a good Qb.

VN Store

Back