Spring Ball 2021

Unfortunately with this staff, the players seem to actually get worse the more time the coaches spend with them. In a „halfway serious“ mode, I would like to recommend that if we are going to stay with CJP and his current band of merry men, it might work out better to skip spring ball with the exception of S & C

Reactions: tbh
I dont know what you were watching but here is what the website youre trying to reference says about it. Also tackles dont equal snaps.

Seen action as a reserve defensive back and special teams contributor in all nine games this season ... Matched a his career high tackles (2) and recorded his first pass breakup in win at Vanderbilt (12/12) ... Recorded his first two career tackles vs. #2 Alabama (10/24) ... Made his Tennessee debut in season-opening victory over South Carolina (9/26).

And then they also say he played in 10 games, so i will give you that it was likely only special teams or limited role until Bama, which was game 5. So that means, at a minimum he was getting secondary snaps by then.
It doesn’t mean that, I don’t consider 10 snaps every 3rd game as playing.

QBs is obvisouly going to be a big point of discussion

RBs I think Gray will be #1 but I think Evans with be the #2

WRs will be better I think. Hopefully seeing how Ohio St and Bama use their WR's speed, I think they utilize Hyatt, Jones, Calloway better than last year

TEs are going to be rough again, maybe Campbell can come in and bring more of a pass catching option

OL I still think can be great in the SEC with right coaching, and we are hopefully in that process now

DL will be stronger and getting most if not all guys back will help, especially with depth

LBs hopefully will work in the weight room along with pass coverage

DBs need a refresher, hopefully someone like Rucker or Lawrence can push these guys in competition more

A lot more chaos to come in the next few weeks.

But we have a very good Early Enrollees class coming into the spring.

Obviously QB. Salter a dual-threat guy coming early to get the offense down.

RB: Tiyon Evans at that protype agile, shfity, powerful RB. Then breakaway threat in Wright who runs 4.3

WR. The Brentwood Bomber! Walker Merrill is coming in the Spring. He will play a lot. Much needed talent in the WR department.

TE: Miles Campbell 6'3 235 and is a tough, freaky athlete. Can block inside and lineup out wide.

MLB: Aaron Willis 6'0 215 supersmart fast LB might just be what the unit needs.

OLB: Byron Young JUCO. 6'3 240 very explosive. He and Eason will have my attention this spring.

DB: Bryce Thompson just declared for the NFL. A possible replacement for him is ATH Christian Charles.
6'1 190 lbs. 10.8 100 meter guy! Physical playmaker out if Georgia.

I believe in a few months after all this stuff settles. We'll be excited about football again. This is a huge spring.

A lot more chaos to come in the next few weeks.

But we have a very good Early Enrollees class coming into the spring.

Obviously QB. Salter a dual-threat guy coming early to get the offense down.

RB: Tiyon Evans at that protype agile, shfity, powerful RB. Then breakaway threat in Wright who runs 4.3

WR. The Brentwood Bomber! Walker Merrill is coming in the Spring. He will play a lot. Much needed talent in the WR department.

TE: Miles Campbell 6'3 235 and is a tough, freaky athlete. Can block inside and lineup out wide.

MLB: Aaron Willis 6'0 215 supersmart fast LB might just be what the unit needs.

OLB: Byron Young JUCO. 6'3 240 very explosive. He and Eason will have my attention this spring.

DB: Bryce Thompson just declared for the NFL. A possible replacement for him is ATH Christian Charles.
6'1 190 lbs. 10.8 100 meter guy! Physical playmaker out if Georgia.

I believe in a few months after all this stuff settles. We'll be excited about football again. This is a huge spring.
No sir.

WhuuuuT? You don't like the idea of Ole Hugh Freeze with all those talented players? :)

No way Jeremy is still the coach in 3 months. This thread is about the team, but just look whats going on around the program. There's no way he stays after all this turmoil.

I agree with this. I would love for a proven S&C coach to come on board, but I can't fairly judge what Artis was up against in his first year being a COVID year. I saw he was trying to be creative and send workouts to players in an attempt to motivate during isolation periods. Timing was all off too when Fitz left which IIRC was early summer.
He was hired away in March. Right when Covid was shutting everything down. Anything that wasn’t implemented before Spring Practice falls on him. I can’t say Artis failed or succeeded with that backdrop...no one can.

Reactions: SmileyVol_c/o_10
He was hired away in March. Right when Covid was shutting everything down. Anything that wasn’t implemented before Spring Practice falls on him. I can’t say Artis failed or succeeded with that backdrop...no one can.
Yeah that's right. There were a few months when nobody held the title of head s & c coach.

Reactions: butchna
Op...not sure what fan base you’re referring to. A “great majority” of our rivals fan bases want to see Pruitt return. Not sure what fans of ours what that. Maybe a small percentage. But most of us are still holding out hope that someone in that building will get rid of fulmer and Pruitt and bring in a successful head coach.

Reactions: Border Vol
So Pruitt is back for 2021.
We've added a
respectable DC in Kevin Steele to the staff.
Added DT QB Hendon Hooker.
We've lost a ton of players and still need some assistant coaches added maybe.

Things to keep in mind:
JG is GONE. The offense has to improve.
Hooker, Salter, Bailey and Maurer should be able to keep that position respectable.

The defense should be better, Kevin Steele along with Pruitt focusing on that more should bring a better coached unit.

Still no word on Gray.
Beckwith, Small, Hodge, Evans, Wright will be the Spring Rbs.

WR: added Merrill. Wideman, Hyatt and Calloway need to take advantage of this Spring.

ARE THEY DOING WINTER LIFTING ALREADY??

Bryce Thompson declared, and we lost Shamburger. Can Burrell or Lawrence step into that role? Flowers to NB? McDonald to SS? Slaughter to NB and S.

We get big Mario Butler back at DT.
Need Eason and Harrison to come on stronger this Spring. Neither has had a Spring yet. Really hoping Kevin Steele can get Harrison right!

Still a lot going on. Recruiting to finish for 2021. Transfers to UT. With the decision made it looks like Pruitt did a smart thing in the Steele hire. He either checked his ego, or was made to. Hopefully it works out.

We do not have a starter on either side of the ball that could start for Bama, the dogs or the Gators. Not alot to look forward to. Zero player development in the last 3 years.

Reactions: tnutater
We do not have a starter on either side of the ball that could start for Bama, the dogs or the Gators. Not alot to look forward to. Zero player development in the last 3 years.
Fact. And no accountability for this 👆too

Reactions: photovol
We've added a

Things to keep in mind:
Hooker, Salter, Bailey and Maurer should be able to keep that position respectable.

The defense should be better, Kevin Steele along with Pruitt focusing on that more should bring a better coached unit.

Still no word on Gray.

WR: added Merrill. Wideman, Hyatt and Calloway need to take advantage of this Spring.

Bryce Thompson declared, and we lost Shamburger. Can Burrell or Lawrence step into that role? Flowers to NB? McDonald to SS? Slaughter to NB and S.

Need Eason and Harrison to come on stronger this Spring. Neither has had a Spring yet. Really hoping Kevin Steele can get Harrison right!

Still a lot going on. Recruiting to finish for 2021. Transfers to UT. With the decision made it looks like Pruitt did a smart thing in the Steele hire. He either checked his ego, or was made to. Hopefully it works out.

Tennessee is still rebuilding after 15 years, patience grasshopper

Reactions: LittleVol
We've added a

Things to keep in mind:

Still no word on Gray.

I can't wait to see Tiyon Evans carry the ball:cool:

But, But, But......stars
But, But, But...our players are the bestest ever, they signed with the Vols so they have to be.
But, But, But......all our players held legitimate offers from bama, tOSU and Clemson
There is no coach alive that could make this roster a champion.

But, But, But......stars
But, But, But...our players are the bestest ever, they signed with the Vols so they have to be.
But, But, But......all our players held legitimate offers from bama, tOSU and Clemson
There is no coach alive that could make this roster a champion.
It really is all about player development. I heard Rick Barnes in a speech to a group of folks state (paraphrasing) that you have to make winners out of 2 and 3 star players before you ever really can recruit the great players. In other words you have to prove you can develop the below average to average players first.

Reactions: tnutater
I can’t wait for the quarterback battle. Bailey Hooker Maurer and Salter. Next year will be better offensively.

I can’t wait for the quarterback battle. Bailey Hooker Maurer and Salter. Next year will be better offensively.
Gaining two dual-threat QBs is huge for the offense.

Depending on who's running the offense, the QB competition should finally be legit.

Reactions: jarnol32
It really is all about player development. I heard Rick Barnes in a speech to a group of folks state (paraphrasing) that you have to make winners out of 2 and 3 star players before you ever really can recruit the great players. In other words you have to prove you can develop the below average to average players first.
My problem with that is "ain't nobody got time for that"
Coaches and players are gone in 4 years.
Agree that players are improved with strength and conditioning, also basic fundamentals can be improved with proper coaching . However the competition does these things also so no real gains are realized. A team with above average to good talent will always have an advantage over below average to average players. One coach is not enough better than any other to overcome a drastic disadvantage in talent. Maybe a great coach with a crap roster might be worth an extra win maybe two a year. But you can't run with the big dogs if you are a mangy little runt.

Reactions: LittleVol

VN Store

Back