Sports Illustrated early Heisman odds for Joe Milton 2023

I remember going into the 21 season he was interviewed by Swain. They prefaced a question by saying someone like Dobbs and someone I can’t recall did some charity work in his off time, how do you spend your time away from the field. He replied “I play a lot of Call of Duty.”

I just hung my head and sarcastically muttered to myself “man we are in good hands”.

I’m glad his done a lot of growing in the time as a backup. I think he picked up a lot from Hendon’s character in their friendship.

Charity work and call of duty don’t have a damn thing to do with football….

Interesting that Klubnick has better odds after the performances in the Orange Bowl.
Huge difference for a kid that's not even been on a college campus for 12 months. His ceiling is still seen as very high.

I sure hope our fans we don't overreact when our 18-year old true freshman QB is out there making mistakes.

Brock Vandagriff has never completed a single pass at UGA. How the hell is he even listed

Brock Vandagriff has never completed a single pass at UGA. How the hell is he even listed
UGA is like the prior Bama teams.

It isn't hard to assume the QB of any top team will have a chance.

More of an (obvious) statement that it's as much a team award than it is an individual one.

Charity work and call of duty don’t have a damn thing to do with football….

There is a difference in the level of maturity between the two which COULD translate to how one performs on the field. Especially in a leadership role like QB.

To be fair I didn’t make any predictions about how he would do before the season started. He won the job so I was excited to see how he actually played. I also don’t think CoD had anything to do with him losing the job.

Looking back it wasn’t really fair to him for Swain to set up the question like that without already knowing the answer.

It just struck me funny is all.

Going forward I’m excited to see Joe play. I hope he has a tremendous season.

Last edited:
Huge difference for a kid that's not even been on a college campus for 12 months. His ceiling is still seen as very high.

I sure hope our fans we don't overreact when our 18-year old true freshman QB is out there making mistakes.
High ceiling vs Heisman talk as a sophomore? Again I don’t think our fans are the ones overreacting

When has logic ever applied to the Heisman?
If Milton balls out there will be voters that don’t vote him because he’s a product of “the system” but those same voters won’t hesitate to vote Williams despite his head coach having 3 of the last 6 based on his offense

I don't recall seeing a single person saying Milton "could not improve". I think many thought he might not improve, and justifiably so. I think all were hopeful he would improve. IMO the jury is still out, but I'm hopeful he will exceed everyone's expectations. He's got a lot of talent and incentive (millions)--but, so did Jamarcus Russell.

There has been plenty that has said Milton cannot improve. They have said after so many years he is what he is. That means he can’t improve. No not all were hopeful he would improve. There is a small portion of the fan base that puts Milton in with JG. Meaning he sucks and will always suck.

Jamarcus Russell wasn’t playing under Josh Heupel.

If Manning did not win and Hooker was not invited, I doubt any Vol will ever get a decent shot.

You are probably right. But. And people may flame me for this but Nico may be, ARM talent wise, the best QB TN has had in the modern era. With Heupels system NIco, if he lives up to his potential, will have a very good chance at winning a Heisman.

I’m a cautiously optimistic fan of Milton, but any preseason hype for him as a Heisman candidate is ludicrously ridiculous at the most liberal interpretation of hyperbolic media bait click. If a half dozen other historically great UT players (and that is a very conservative estimate) should have been verifiably considered a Heisman candidate after a multiple year career of Volunteer excellence were denied, his consideration at this point is a complete farce, and he should agree with this. It matters not what he does in this coming year, Peyton, Heath, Condredge, Jimmy, countless others have done so much more than he can hope to register for his contribution to the history of this great football institution. I honestly do hope that he puts up a year worthy of proportion. But these people are pissing on the history of college football in general if they are considering him a Heisman candidate at this point.

It’s simple as this

So long as Heupel is the coach, and the offense keeps up these results, anyone he trots out there will get pre-season betting odds for the Heisman because…frankly….it’s a smarter bet than throwing a dart.

He is a contender based on what? He has a lot of potential and a few (generously) good games. This is a complete joke. Don’t get me wrong, I hope he does enough to get there, but he has not done enough to be considered at this point. He has done far more to take himself out of consideration if a man is being honest.

He had a very good body of work this past season, including two very good starts at Vandy and Orange Bowl. There isnt a good reason to call his listing a joke.

I’m just surprised that AR15 is going to go pro based on athletic ability alone, yet has done less than Levis.
And here is Milton who has similar traits as AR, better in many areas, and games where he has shown his ability, and he is not even considered a solid pro prospect yet.

Reactions: joevol33
I’m just surprised that AR15 is going to go pro based on athletic ability alone, yet has done less than Levis.
And here is Milton who has similar traits as AR, better in many areas, and games where he has shown his ability, and he is not even considered a solid pro prospect yet.

I would guess many are bummed he got beat out last year, even with a guy like HH and after he was only on campus for a few weeks prior to those early starts. He will get his chance early on to put up some big numbers and close ground fast if he does.

Isn't Bo Nix...like...40??!!
There are a lot of QB's like that these past couple of years because of Covid.. including Hooker and Milton.. Super seniors are a thing.

What I find interesting is that Ohio State has 2 qbs and a WR on the list. Both QB's mainly because of said WR and his running mates lol

VN Store

Back