Sports Illustrated covers: help getting signed?

NighthawkVol

I have the issues of Sports Illustrated from 1976 with Ernie & Bernie on the cover and 1967 when Tennessee beat Alabama. WRT to the 1967, Jim Weatherford is credited with being the subject, but I seem to remember there being some controversy about that. Was he erroneously credited? Or was someone else erroneously credited?

Regardless, I'd like to get them autographed to put in my sports memorabilia collection, which I display in my rec room.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can get Ernie and/or Bernie to sign their cover and Mr. Weatherford (or whoever the true subject is) to sign the 1967 cover? Any help is appreciated.

2fcc0e9cdc75ea5c3d23f3e4173d123a.jpgtennessee-jim-weatherford-october-30-1967-sports-illustrated-cover.jpg

Well I may have found a contact for Jim Weatherford and Bernard King.

Still can’t find anything for Grunfeld.

these are among the handfulof SIs I stll have after saving very issue for about 40 yearsi

anyinfo would be appreciated

these are among the handfulof SIs I stll have after saving very issue for about 40 yearsi

anyinfo would be appreciated

I have most of the Sports Illustrateds with Tennessee on the cover. The ones I have autographed are:

Richmond Flowers-1966
Tony Robinson-1985
Peyton & Archie Manning-1996
Pat Summitt-1998
Chamique Holdsclaw-1998
Peerless Price-1998
Tee Martin-1998 commemorative

I have them framed on the wall in my rec room. I also have a few others that are unsigned…Chris Lofton on a couple, Tauren Poole on an SEC preview, and ol’ Lane Kiffin on an SEC preview. I don’t have any intention of getting those signed and framed though.

I have most of the Sports Illustrateds with Tennessee on the cover. The ones I have autographed are:

Richmond Flowers-1966
Tony Robinson-1985
Peyton & Archie Manning-1996
Pat Summitt-1998
Chamique Holdsclaw-1998
Peerless Price-1998
Tee Martin-1998 commemorative

I have them framed on the wall in my rec room. I also have a few others that are unsigned…Chris Lofton on a couple, Tauren Poole on an SEC preview, and ol’ Lane Kiffin on an SEC preview. I don’t have any intention of getting those signed and framed though.
i've never given away of my SI's with Vols on covers.Two my other favorites are the ones with Richmond Flowers and Tony. Downside is that some of them are fairly battered.

i've never given away of my SI's with Vols on covers.Two my other favorites are the ones with Richmond Flowers and Tony. Downside is that some of them are fairly battered.

I got TRob to sign my copy of his SI (in my avatar) at the 2013 Tennessee-Auburn game. I actually contacted Flowers through Facebook and asked him if he'd sign and he told me to send it to him, so I did.

There is a Candace Parker cover I don't own. I'd like to get that issue and get her to sign it. And when the Vols win the National Title in Omaha in a few week, hopefully, SI will put them on the cover and I can get it signed. ;)

I got TRob to sign my copy of his SI (in my avatar) at the 2013 Tennessee-Auburn game. I actually contacted Flowers through Facebook and asked him if he'd sign and he told me to send it to him, so I did.

There is a Candace Parker cover I don't own. I'd like to get that issue and get her to sign it. And when the Vols win the National Title in Omaha in a few week, hopefully, SI will put them on the cover and I can get it signed. ;)
I'll suffer a cardiac event if SI puts Dia8ond Vols on cover.

I gave up on SI at least 8 years ago because the writing quality declined and they were doing so much "cutesy" stuff. The last straw came when they let all their phogrphers go and went to freelancers. It was one of my favorite publications for many years that I would panic if I misplaced or lost an issue. Actually still have some of SI's earliest issues that a great aunt (she was avid collector of many unusual things) gave me and they are carefully socked away. II'll definitely buy an SI issue if we go to Omaha and they mention us.

As far memorabilia, I'm hoping to pass it on to my son and his two sons (oldest is 5), particulary if i can turn them into Vol fans.

Stay in touch. some of my Orange collection is going to need a new home, and I doubt there few takers hear in tuskaville

t

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I'll suffer a cardiac event if SI puts Dia8ond Vols on cover.

I gave up on SI at least 8 years ago because the writing quality declined and they were doing so much "cutesy" stuff. The last straw came when they let all their phogrphers go and went to freelancers. It was one of my favorite publications for many years that I would panic if I misplaced or lost an issue. Actually still have some of SI's earliest issues that a great aunt (she was avid collector of many unusual things) gave me and they are carefully socked away. II'll definitely buy an SI issue if we go to Omaha and they mention us.

As far memorabilia, I'm hoping to pass it on to my son and his two sons (oldest is 5), particulary if i can turn them into Vol fans.

Stay in touch. some of my Orange collection is going to need a new home, and I doubt there few takers hear in tuskaville

t

Agree with you about the quality. Sadly, this seems to be the case with most publications. Web media has killed it.

Reactions: ArdentVol

I have that one and I have it signed. I've got a couple Pat signed ones too. My mom's old high school friend was an associate AD at UT.

I know we discussed him recently Greg but I am almost certain that “The General “ (Al Dorsey ) was pictured on your ‘67 SI issue.

If you Google “Al Dorsey SI “ this is the first result as pictured in this Screen Shot. I’m guessing that he could confirm this and you probably have a connection to reach him but if not let me know . I know one of his teammates from that season and can give you his contact info if you need it , just let me know.
96F67EAE-8791-4FC7-8969-F195BF921C70.png

Last edited:
By the way, have you seen “Nothing Can Hurt Me,” the Big Star documentary?

Saw it in a theater in T-Town as part of a film series Surprisingly good attendance, and that may have been the result of many in audience having season tickets for series. Grabbed the DVR as soon as it came out and was at the Shell while documentary crew was there.. Favorite Big Star memorabilia is proof copy of the Big Star Story by Rob Jovanovich (sp?). Got it from a kid who was an intern at a amagazine publishing company and knew of my love of the musiic Got it months before publication and later signed by John Fry, Jody, Jon and Ken.

I know we discussed him recently Greg but I am almost certain that “The General “ (Al Dorsey ) was pictured on your ‘67 SI issue.

If you Google “Al Dorsey SI “ this is the first result as pictured in this Screen Shot. I’m guessing that he could confirm this and you probably have a connection to reach him but if not let me know . I know one of his teammates from that season and can give you his contact info if you need it , just let me know.
View attachment 373225

I think Al Dorsey was the one who was erroneously credited. I did locate an email for Jimmy Weatherford and he said he’s not signing anymore SI covers. I googled Jimmy Weatherford autographed Sports Illustrated and found that he has signed them and you can buy them.

Oh well.

Tom Mattingly says it was Mike Jones. Maybe there’s hope for an autograph after all.

The Definitive Answer to an Oft-Asked Question”
wow
haven't read a mattingly column since dropping my KNS subcription
It was one of the more interesting plusses in the paperthat didn't survive the online revolution and advent of the unfortunate Gannett-USA Today era.

the gump response is so gumpish

VN Store

Back