South Pittsburg hires new Head Football Coach

State champs year before last again...............runner up last year. (I think) may be3rd or 4th...do not keep up with high school football anymore.

Yep, I know. Sadly, moved away and lost the fire; I guess. Still try to keep tabs ---somewhat. WE had great places to grow up; didn't we? Little Bitty Towns with Winning Football Teams. Don't get no better.

Yep, I know. Sadly, moved away and lost the fire; I guess. Still try to keep tabs ---somewhat. WE had great places to grow up; didn't we? Little Bitty Towns with Winning Football Teams. Don't get no better.

SP baseball ain't too shabby either.

Coach Jones must believe the Pirates are loaded this year. Since becoming HC he's canceled the Marion Co. game and has now added games against North Jackson (AL), Murphy (NC) and today they announced the addition of 6A Oakland HS out of Murfreesboro.

I know Chris personally. Great man with a great family. He is glad to be home, I am sure. As far as the Marion County game goes, I hate that. But, at the same time, if you're trying to improve your national profile, you need to play games like what he has added. That game against Oakland should be freaking awesome. And I know that everyone in South Pittsburg is going to be thrilled to be playing North Jackson again, as they are basically next door neighbors. And unfortunately, to play those games, you have to let others go. Definitely some big moves. I really hope he does well, but am really just happy for him to be back in the area.

Coach Jones must believe the Pirates are loaded this year. Since becoming HC he's canceled the Marion Co. game and has now added games against North Jackson (AL), Murphy (NC) and today they announced the addition of 6A Oakland HS out of Murfreesboro.

Murphy plays in our conference. I’m from right over the hill in Robbinsville NC. It’s usually Murphy or Robbinsville competing for a championship year in and year out.

Big shoutout to Sequatchie County baseball this weekend. Enjoyed meeting their team parents and watching good baseball. Has nothing to do with South Pitt but I hope some SC folks are tuning into this thread.
My peeps, Dunlap!

Well, East Valley Road.

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
Sequatchie Co. Middle School all over South Pittsburg Middle tonight in a 36-14 Win at South Pitt!

Sequatchie Co. Middle School all over South Pittsburg Middle tonight in a 36-14 Win at South Pitt!

So how is Sequatchie Co. Jackson County moved up this year. It's not a region game, but we picked up Sequatchie.

So how is Sequatchie Co. Jackson County moved up this year. It's not a region game, but we picked up Sequatchie.
Sequatchie is an unknown all new coaching staff and system on both sides of the ball.

The new 1st time HC was the OC at Fayetteville who won the 1A State Championship over South Pittsburg last season. The new DC was at Silverdale Academy in Chattanooga.

They won both their Jamboree quarters Friday putting up 28 in the final Varsity action against Warren Co.

I think Jackson Co. originally expected to join region 4-3A with Smith Co., Grundy, Sequatchie & Cannon. Then the TSSAA moved Smith & Jackson to 5-3A and replaced them in 4-3A with Community & Giles Co.

Sequatchie is an unknown all new coaching staff and system on both sides of the ball.

The new 1st time HC was the OC at Fayetteville who won the 1A State Championship over South Pittsburg last season. The new DC was at Silverdale Academy in Chattanooga.

They won both their Jamboree quarters Friday putting up 28 in the final Varsity action against Warren Co.

I think Jackson Co. originally expected to join region 4-3A with Smith Co., Grundy, Sequatchie & Cannon. Then the TSSAA moved Smith & Jackson to 5-3A and replaced them in 4-3A with Community & Giles Co.

That's pretty much how it went. Coach Loftis was trying to get away from Watertown and Trousdale. The end result may have not ended up any better. moving up and getting in that district. The only upside is it does reduce our travel. I always thought 2 hours to Cascade was not a good region game. East Robertson wasn't much better. It may work out for Jackson Co. though. We got rid of Monterey, Trousdale, Westmoreland and Watertown. Pretty much 4 losses before stepping on the field. And for lack of a seasoned QB this year, we went to a Wing-T, with a decent stable of backs. Our top 2 receivers and deep threats when we had time to get the ball down field both graduated. We don't have an oversized line, so as long as they can pull and get out front on their blocking assignments, the new offense should help us out. If Loftis knew he wasn't going to get 4-3A, he probably would have stayed put. Overall issue is we predominately have to play both ways, which if they make it out of region and to the playoffs, won't work in 3A. Doesn't matter what class we're in, 30 players is 30 players. And that's before injuries. Difference being, that our prior 2A opponents outside of Trousdale and Watertown had the same issue.

Our other issue is Loftis is still our coach. He blew some games by not utilizing the right players. Mine sat out his junior year with 3 hairline fractures in his lower spine. He was a baseball kid first, so he wanted to heal. He had already won starting roles as a Soph, and was one of the best O-linemen in the region at 170 pounds that year. When he came back he didn't get his starting jobs back even though he was outperforming. Loftis is just that way, even though he was glad to have him back, and it was his recommendation to lay out and heal. He was only 5'9", and 195 as a senior but had real good hands and ran good tight end routes. Coach just waited too late to move him there, and then didn't capitalize on it when he was making plays. He wouldn't go back to him. Even a year later now, players still tell him they don't know why Loftis didn't use him more.

I know Chris personally. Great man with a great family. He is glad to be home, I am sure. As far as the Marion County game goes, I hate that. But, at the same time, if you're trying to improve your national profile, you need to play games like what he has added. That game against Oakland should be freaking awesome. And I know that everyone in South Pittsburg is going to be thrilled to be playing North Jackson again, as they are basically next door neighbors. And unfortunately, to play those games, you have to let others go. Definitely some big moves. I really hope he does well, but am really just happy for him to be back in the area.

I wasn't aware Spitt had ever played North Jackson? Now we did play Bridgeport & Stevenson annually back in the old SVC days; before Bport & Stevenson Consolidated into North Jackson.

VN Store

Back