South Carolina and Clemson

volshistory

Just read that South Carolina and Clemson are turning down any bowl bids they might receive as punishment to their players for the fight on Saturday. Tough decision as it will cost them $$. Also tough that CLH has to go out like that. He deserves better.

The story is on ESPN.com.

:huh:

I'm kinda surprised that Clemson is doing this, after hearing Bowden rant about the TV coverage of the NBA fight. I figured he would have banned his players from watching any TV for the rest of the season.

Yes, it is a shame that Holtz has this to remember about his last game.

That what the players get I really feel bad for the seniors! But now Arkansas must beat LSU so the SEC can fill up all of there 7 bowl games!! So that money wont go to another conference :cross:

Well crap we have 8 bowls that go to the SEC man I really hope Arkansas can win losing 2 bowl games in a year would mean we probably would not break 100 million again when the money is given out in the spring!!

Wow , that's pretty harsh. You really hate to see that.

Nice show of respect for the game.This will help show the kids that NBA crap is wrong and not to be accepted. I am sure the Clemson ad min overruled Bowdens initial comments. Credit to them.

obviously i hate tha bowdowns . that is a terrible scar on a legend,so so bad a shame to the game. :censored: :beer: for lou .now thats outtha way i gto back to hatin spurrier :finger: :D lets get it on :rocks:

This really opens up the Peach bowl for Bama. If they go, it will be based on their fan travel. Think about it though - that's where we've gone the last two years and this year a friggin' 6-5 team could be going. :banghead:

Sickening, isn't it? It killed me last year b/c I thought we deserved a better bowl... and then we LOST. AGAIN. I'm glad they decided to decline bowl bids though, its the only possible punishment. Sad for those players from USC that haven't been to a bowl in three years though.

I really applaud the schools' decisions to forego the opportunity to play in bowl games. What happened in both the NBA and college football last week was horrific and, I believe, a sign of the times.

I stand by the opinion that these kids have reached near-deity status, often above the law and with infinite monetary resources. All the while, they usually come from a less-than-ideal homelife and upbringing. Then, they are plucked from high school or early college by the Big Leagues at the ripe old age of 17 to 20, obviously lacking essential social skills and moral values.

In an instance such as the SC/Clemson brawl, it becomes the responsibility of the coaching staff and university administration to impose appropriate punishment and, in turn, teach these young men a valuable life lesson: Your actions have consequences.

This type of episode allows the chance to make a difference in the kids' lives forever. Before long, when the money and the cars and the women and the fame come pouring in, every day will provide temptation and represents one step further away from reality. Hopefully, what they learn from last week will not be forgotten; poor decisions often cost much more than having to sit at home on New Year's.

Speaking of all this... I think the NBA is the easiest professional league for a youngster to get in, and succeed, even while acting like a thug. If you look at the NFL, a vast majority of the players seem to be well spoken, thoughtful, and respectful... of course its the drunk driving, drug dealing, etc. stories that make the news... but when I hear a player that is sharp and articulate, such as the Titans' Kevin Carter and Keith Bulluck, or the Rams' Tory Bruce... I think the NFL is better than most realize. This could be attributed to the college programs they came from.

Isaac Bruce or Tory Holt?... kinda mixed up the names there... unless they pulled some Transformers action and went Mecha-reciever.

Isaac Bruce being a Memphis graduate.... while possible, I doubt you meant him

I think a lot of it has to be that the NFL is the only league enforcing such a stringent hardship rule. There's a lot to be said for being forced to live within the guidelines of a college program. Also, despite the stereotype, I think pro football has to be the most mentally challenging of any professional sport.

I suppose you could easily make a case for basketball (suprisingly similar to playing football) or baseball as well, but yeah. NFL is actually mostly well-spoken guys with good morals and such.

VN Store

Back