Sources Say: Marta Could be Much Better Than Expected

I wonder how many minutes qualify as "solid" ?
If it's 8-10 minutes a game, then our starters won't be on the court for very long.
You can't have a roster of 13, play the end of the bench even 8 minutes a game, and have the starters play more than 25 minutes a game. There just aren't enough minutes in a game to do that. I would be surprised if that trio got that much playing time this year.

Free Emily

From all indications that I see Emily is still down the depth chart this season. I think she will play a little more than last season but she definitely is behind Key, Green, and KK and those three will get the bulk of the minutes. I liked her offensive game last year she seemed to be a little slow running the court and defending the post. I really like her attitude as a player she was willing to accept her role last season and from all indications has worked as hard as anyone in the off season. She has good touch on her shots around the basket look forward to seeing her play more this season.

From all indications that I see Emily is still down the depth chart this season. I think she will play a little more than last season but she definitely is behind Key, Green, and KK and those three will get the bulk of the minutes. I liked her offensive game last year she seemed to be a little slow running the court and defending the post. I really like her attitude as a player she was willing to accept her role last season and from all indications has worked as hard as anyone in the off season. She has good touch on her shots around the basket look forward to seeing her play more this season.
Probably behind McCoy as well. She'll have some opportunities next season with Green, McCoy and KK all leaving, but I don't see her getting much court time this year.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Probably behind McCoy as well. She'll have some opportunities next season with Green, McCoy and KK all leaving, but I don't see her getting much court time this year.

Will be interested to see what McCoy’s role is on this team. Based on her career she’ll be out with some sort of injury most of the season.

If Green’s big thing is playing at the P5 level she may not leave and come back for extra time at the P5 level. KK says she is gone and i can’t imagine Mccoy wanting to be a 6th year senior.

i bet they get a post the transfer portal/juco route

Then you wonder if another Transfer or even a freshmen move in to keep her down. Haven't heard much about her from the coaches so getting a look at her to see how she has advanced or not will be interesting .

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Will be interested to see what McCoy’s role is on this team. Based on her career she’ll be out with some sort of injury most of the season.

Best case scenario is she provides depth at the 4. A big body to rebound, play physical and dish out fouls. Worst case scenario is that she's forced to start because Green isn't ready for the SEC. Green is the big wild card for me. I have no idea how well her game will translate coming from a mid-major. She was foul prone at her old school, and that's against opponents that weren't as big, strong or fast as what she'll be dealing with in the SEC.

Then you wonder if another Transfer or even a freshmen move in to keep her down. Haven't heard much about her from the coaches so getting a look at her to see how she has advanced or not will be interesting .

Could be the case if they get a quality center to back up Key, assuming Striplin and Puckett play most of the minutes at the 4. Truthfully, Emily wasn't a highly rated recruit, so she should have known that it would be a fight for minutes at a school like Tennessee. Maybe she's happy being an end of bench player, because that's the only reason she would stay. I don't see her being much of an impact player; she's basically the replacement for Kamera Harris on the bench.

Great opportunity for her with this year not counting against her eligibility. She can really be developed with this extra year and still look forward to three more years of playing.

Best case scenario is she provides depth at the 4. A big body to rebound, play physical and dish out fouls. Worst case scenario is that she's forced to start because Green isn't ready for the SEC. Green is the big wild card for me. I have no idea how well her game will translate coming from a mid-major. She was foul prone at her old school, and that's against opponents that weren't as big, strong or fast as what she'll be dealing with in the SEC.

Could be the case if they get a quality center to back up Key, assuming Striplin and Puckett play most of the minutes at the 4. Truthfully, Emily wasn't a highly rated recruit, so she should have known that it would be a fight for minutes at a school like Tennessee. Maybe she's happy being an end of bench player, because that's the only reason she would stay. I don't see her being much of an impact player; she's basically the replacement for Kamera Harris on the bench.

I think some of that foul trouble was that she was a comparatively “big” aggressive body in her old league. Was defending smaller post and got the bully calls. Sounds like the other players and coaches have been impressed with her game so I expect to see her contribute a good bit.

She was the best player in West Virginia won the Gatorade player of the year award guess that is what propelled her to get a few D1 scholarship offers. A player like her can be very good in high school being so much bigger than anyone else and when that size advantage disappears in college things change quickly. Working herself into the 11 minutes Harris got as a senior may be difficult as I see the roster progressing every season.

Take this as you may, but from what I'm hearing from sources close to the program Marta Suarez could be an up and coming star in the making.

While I was thrilled to read your report, I can honestly say that I only ever had very high expectations for Suarez. Kellie doesn't seem like the kind of coach who would go to all the trouble to recruit a player from outside the U.S. if she thought that player was going to be a permanent small-role player. Sure, freshmen need time to learn all the plays and such, but if ANY of the newcomers rise to first-five capabilities, I'm guessing Kellie will not hesitate to put them into the first rotation. It's going to be an interesting year, to say the least.

Reactions: ttharp
Marta is going to be Terrific.....She is a Tiger.
The girl is built for combat....She will show our girls how to be tough...She is use to shooting the deep ball at least 2 inches farther out then at our college level...

Marta is a first rate ballplayer....

Soon!
9740313.jpg

Marta is going to be Terrific.....She is a Tiger.
The girl is built for combat....She will show our girls how to be tough...She is use to shooting the deep ball at least 2 inches farther out then at our college level...

Marta is a first rate ballplayer....

Soon!
9740313.jpg

Broken finger in this picture?

A broken finger is usually taped to another finger. Probably jammed it.
so is a jammed finger,,,its called buddy-taping

usually when a single finger is taped it is to strengthen it
she probably picked this up playing volleyball,,,in VB you very often see all of the fingers taped for spike support

Reactions: dapeak
While I was thrilled to read your report, I can honestly say that I only ever had very high expectations for Suarez. Kellie doesn't seem like the kind of coach who would go to all the trouble to recruit a player from outside the U.S. if she thought that player was going to be a permanent small-role player. Sure, freshmen need time to learn all the plays and such, but if ANY of the newcomers rise to first-five capabilities, I'm guessing Kellie will not hesitate to put them into the first rotation. It's going to be an interesting year, to say the least.

Looks like my post was prophetic. Kellie had three newcomers in the first rotation, and the on-court leadership of Suarez blew me away. In all my years of being a Lady Vol fan I have never seen a freshman, in her FIRST GAME, directing upperclassmen on the floor the way she did. And they — thankfully — didn’t appear to resent it. Of course they shouldn’t — she obviously knows what she’s doing — but you never know. I’m extremely proud of the TEAM I saw out there yesterday.

Looks like my post was prophetic. Kellie had three newcomers in the first rotation, and the on-court leadership of Suarez blew me away. In all my years of being a Lady Vol fan I have never seen a freshman, in her FIRST GAME, directing upperclassmen on the floor the way she did. And they — thankfully — didn’t appear to resent it. Of course they shouldn’t — she obviously knows what she’s doing — but you never know. I’m extremely proud of the TEAM I saw out there yesterday.

Yes, it’s a huge asset to have a player in the paint who can direct traffic like Marta. Her basketball IQ and post passing remind me of a Lauren Cox or Steph Dolson. She’s not as big, but she plays so smart. Several times you could see her instructing other (older lol) teammates to cut and it balanced the offense out and we scored. She can see one play ahead. Can not wait to watch her grow and succeed!

I’ve watched almost every SEC team play at this point. She is the most exciting freshman I’ve seen without a doubt.

VN Store

Back