Sounds like QD is going to transfer

Did JG really ever look comfortable? I think both QBs suffered greatly because of our terrible OL and play calling. QD did have an injury and it may have been a big reason he struggled but maybe not. I really dont know.

But to say that JG clearly outplayed Dormady is reaching imo.
Injuries dont make you throw into four defenders, QD has questionable decision making skills and his Int numbers show it, JG took infinitely better care of the ball, thats not to say he doesnt have his deficiencies, like holding the ball to long, and not wanting to pull it in and get yards. However i feel a lot of that had to do with his confidence in his recievers running the right routes and his walk-on o linemen taking on some of the best defenses they played all year.

Reactions: 3 people
Actually there is no favorite right now per JP.

Coach-speak.

Secondly, JG is a DT QB. Helton's USC offense catered to pro style pocket passers. That's not exactly JG's skill set.

247 called him "dual threat" out of high school. Watching him play several games this season, I feel much more comfortable calling him a "pro-style pocket passer." Though, even if he were DT, that wouldn't necessarily mean that he couldn't succeed in a pro-style system. Just means that he can also run it.

Not saying QD is, but pretty sure that QD, JG, and even JT will all get equal time in the spring for starting QB.

What happens in spring is one thing, but I'd be surprised if JG is not the starter when the season starts. QD may be able to beat him, but I do think there's a reasonable possibility QD transfers.

Reactions: 2 people
He may transfer and he may not. I would say if he recovers from surgery and is able to participate in spring, i would think he would since they will all start on page one in competition. Another aspect will be which QB can handle the mental part in learning the playbook. There are many unknowns at this time with who will be starting.

I have an uneducated guess that QD would fit the future offense just fine..

Wouldn't shock me.

(A) Dormady was very close to Butch, and
(B) JG clearly outplayed him last season

JG is definitely the favorite to be the starter and should be an excellent fit inside Helton's system. Dormady has a lot of talent, though, and with the right coach, could be a very good P5 QB (sort of like Peterman).

JG out played him because of the type of offense we ran. Dormady is more of a pro style QB. We have a hard time scoring. Butch ran off Riley Ferguson and he went to Memphis and threw for over 30 TDs. We had a real good coach in Butch didn't we.

Reactions: 4 people
Stats are misleading. Half of QD's picks were caused by the receiver messing up (cut route to short, got beat on a slant, dropped the pass and bobbled it to the defense).

The box stats don't show that, but QB gets all the blame.

JG was 0-4 as a starter. Now he wasn't solely responsible for that record, but he's winless as a starting qb for a SEC team.

Context isn't a friend to many on VolNation
What about the context of many of those ints were thrown into multiple coverage? Blame the reciever all you want ( and they can take a lot of the blame for the season). But i feel that QD got those Ints by forcing it when he shouldnt, which is why you saw JG hold the ball longer instead of trying to force it and turn it over. QD made too many mistakes for someone with that long in the system.

What about the context of many of those ints were thrown into multiple coverage? Blame the reciever all you want ( and they can take a lot of the blame for the season). But i feel that QD got those Ints by forcing it when he shouldnt, which is why you saw JG hold the ball longer instead of trying to force it and turn it over. QD made too many mistakes for someone with that long in the system.

I agree with this. QD forced a lot of throws. There were some INTs that weren't his fault, but he also got very lucky multiple times trying to force the ball into coverage and not getting picked off.

To me, the main difference between JG and QD is that JG made better decisions. That has led to the criticism that he "holds the ball too long", but in reality, QD was forcing the ball into coverage too often and JG opted to hold the ball rather than make poor decisions.

I don't know if it was a preseason injury or what caused it but it seemed Q never could get comfortable and step into his throws from the pocket. Whenever he did it would be a strike and whenever he didn't which was most of the time it would sail. It's true that he didn't get much help from his receivers, but on the whole it was not what you expect from a guy with years of development. Alex Jones straight up told me Q was going to be great back in the Dobbs era.

Clearly outplayed? You lost me there. Neither of them were very well at all, and McBride looked as good as either of them.

Not to mention on nearly every passing play whoever was back there was getting the cr*p knocked out of him. Kinda hard to get in the rhythm when you can’t count Tennessee Two without getting hit.

Last edited:

Palmer allows his man to get in front of him on a goal line slant. That's a one step drop and throw. That INT goes to QD, but he's not at fault for it.

Callaway runs a route 3 yards short (he admitted it after the game) causing him to bobble the ball to the defense and its a pick 6 to Florida. INT goes to QD, but he's not at fault for it.

Palmer bobbles a fade that hit him in the hands vs UGA and it goes right to the DB. INT goes to QD, but he's not at fault for it.

Context. Hell consider this, QD was one dropped pass away from starting the season 4-0.

For all the "But but but QD throws into multiple coverage" folks, QD only had 3 picks that were on him. That isn't a lot considering he was only throwing to people who were triple covered according to some on here.

There isn't a big gap, if any, between QD or JG. Different skill sets, but there isn't a definitively better QB on our roster over the other 2. All are pretty much equals.

The assassination of QD on this board by some rivals that of Peterman. It is really amazing.

Reactions: 12 people
I agree with this. QD forced a lot of throws. There were some INTs that weren't his fault, but he also got very lucky multiple times trying to force the ball into coverage and not getting picked off.

To me, the main difference between JG and QD is that JG made better decisions. That has led to the criticism that he "holds the ball too long", but in reality, QD was forcing the ball into coverage too often and JG opted to hold the ball rather than make poor decisions.

QD got sacked 3 times and really only had 3 picks that were his fault solely.

JG took very few chances, but he got sacked tons and tons.

Tenn would have won Ky and SC games with Dormady at QB. JMO

I know it’s just your opinion, but with all due respect, based on what?

QD was 26-55 with 1 td and 5 picks in his 2 games vs SEC opponents (Florida and Georgia). Why was he suddenly gonna start playing much better and stop turning the ball over so much? I’ve defended QD from some regarding his play vs UF and rightfully so imho. But he wasn’t playing very well at all by the time we got to SEC play (could’ve been partly because of injury for sure) and quite honestly, JG played really well vs Kentucky.

So the only QB that Truly fits a pro style offense transfers? Great.

Just because recruiting services call a guy dual threat doesnt mean he cant perform in a prostyle offense. He has all of the measurables af an elite pro style qb, and many qb gurus believe he can develop into a prototype sec qb, fortunately for him the coaches that didnt develop players are now gone.

Reactions: 1 person
QD got sacked 3 times and really only had 3 picks that were his fault solely.

JG took very few chances, but he got sacked tons and tons.

You are forgetting all the dropped interceptions. They basically even out with the ones that weren’t his fault

Let's just face it, neither QB played up to their potential last year and both have their extreme flaws. I think with the right coaching and an OL either QB could be great. Bear in mind, Quinten Dormady's extreme discomfort and turnovers can be attributed to the dreadful OL play and WR's not running their routs properly ... not that he's a terrible quarterback.

It would not surprise me. It would also not surprise me if he lands at a school, breaks records there and ends up getting drafted.

It didn’t matter if Peyton played QB. If no one Blocks you’re running for your life or on your back simple as that.

That's the worst news all day! I think he is the best QB on the roster. His first start set a record. I do not want him to go, I think he should compete for the starting QB this Spring.

I know it’s just your opinion, but with all due respect, based on what?

QD was 26-55 with 1 td and 5 picks in his 2 games vs SEC opponents (Florida and Georgia). Why was he suddenly gonna start playing much better and stop turning the ball over so much? I’ve defended QD from some regarding his play vs UF and rightfully so imho. But he wasn’t playing very well at all by the time we got to SEC play (could’ve been partly because of injury for sure) and quite honestly, JG played really well vs Kentucky.

He and the entire team sucked vs GA. He was already injured in that game also. The best this Tennessee played all yr was in the 4th Qtr vs Ga Tech and Fla(good defense). JG was horrible all yr. His stats were padded with screen passes, and vs Vandy soft d in first half. Hell, JG wasn’t even the best qb Tenn played vs SMiss. Ky and SC games were winnable but not with JG at QB at that time. Hope he improves a lot cause he looks like he’s the one.

Dormady hurt his shoulder early last year. Affected his throwing. Big reason for his drop off after the Tech game.

He is a better fit for a pro style offense, so hope he doesn't transfer.

VN Store

Back