Sorry but its getting old [Barnes discussion] (merged)

ZZ missed 2 wide open 3s and JJJ missed wide open 3. All from the same spot and late in the game. Barnes has got to not let them shoot wide open 3s

Barnes will retire here. He has basketball in a good place. He sucks in the tourney. It's known facts at this point. Hopefully by the time he hangs it up, he can make a deep run with a team. It is what it is. We are a very good basketball program, we have the ability to be an elite one. That will not come until we actually make some noise in March though.

When we hired him I just wanted him to leave the program in a stable place. It looks like he's going to do that when he retires. We will even have more Vols to cheer for in the NBA. We aren't likely to do much better than the first two rounds in the NCAAT but it is what it is. Hopefully we can convince a great coach to come here when Rick retires, as they see we pay big money and you can recruit and win big here.

Nah, just like to poke fun at trolls like you whenever we lose.

You’re no where to be found when we’re winning.
Dude I just started posting in the BBall forum a couple months ago.
Am I a normal poster in the football forum and then switch to troll mode to come over here? LOL

When we hired him I just wanted him to leave the program in a stable place. It looks like he's going to do that when he retires. We will even have more Vols to cheer for in the NBA. We aren't likely to do much better than the first two rounds in the NCAAT but it is what it is. Hopefully we can convince a great coach to come here when Rick retires, as they see we pay big money and you can recruit and win big here.

Barnes will be remembered as a coach that cannot go far in the NCAA tournaments even with a talented team.

Rick Barnes in the NCAAT since 08-09:

(at Texas)

2nd round
1st round
2nd round
1st round
Missed
2nd round
1st round

(Goes to Tennessee)
Missed
Missed
2nd round
Sweet 16
1st round
2nd round
I’ve said it time and time again. I like Barnes. He was brought in to stabilize the program. He’s accomplished that goal and for that I’m grateful. But it seems people are expecting and demanding him to all of a sudden do something that doesn’t match his 35 years of head coaching history. He’s shown that he will consistently get you into the dance. He will run the program the right way. He will bring in great talent. He will have highly touted players and exciting regular seasons. He just probably won’t get past the sweet 16. And will hardly make that. But Barnes is close to retiring. Given where our program could have been had he not decided to come to Tennessee, maybe we should stick by him until he does retire. At that time get someone who can take Tennessee further.

Reactions: Volfan1000
You seem to be thriving over it dumb***
LOL I didn't come back on this thread like several others did immediately, and then I have defended Barnes and said this loss isn't on him.
Dang, I complain about Barnes once and I'm labeled a hater, then I defend him in a bit of an embarrassing loss that I'm ok with because I understand this team is good but not great and I'm "thriving" over a loss.
Whatever helps you deal with the loss, I guess.

Having Rick Barnes on your sideline is the equivalent of Buzz Peterson.. You KNOW he will never win anything meaningful. So what is the point?

I vote we push him to retire. I'd rather go back to sucking and the administration continue to look for someone who can actually win when it matters then trot the biggest choker in ncaa tournament history out there every year for the guaranteed L.

Barnes sucks.
Just when I thought VN's Legions of Miserable couldn't be any dumber, you've restored my faith that the barrel has no bottom.

Did Barnes miss one of those 13’s that we missed? Maybe I missed him shooting. Now I will fault him for not sending a double team at Dickinson earlier I’m the game. That was a mistake. We had nobody inside that could handle him. And after he hit the first couple of 3’s, I was wondering why his defender kept leaving him. Uros and Fulky left him several times wide open. Oh well, didn’t play our best or shoot well and just got beat. Nothing else to say.

Rick Barnes-coached teams choke in postseason. And that's not up for debate.

In Tennessee's four postseason appearances under Barnes, Tennessee has lost to a team with a worse seed every season, including losing to two 11-seeds, and a 12-seed. That's embarrassing, regardless of the spin you want to put on it.

People who are calling him a Sweet 16 coach ... that's being too nice. He's only gotten us that far once since he's been here.

&

like I have been saying……if someone has been silent for the last month when things were going great, why on earth come now to post?

I suggest that’s truly a pretend fan. Most take the good and the bad. Most fans acknowledge accomplishments……not just run off at the mouth when the supposed team gets beat.

Reactions: EasternVol

VN Store

Back