Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Ha! That's why he was raring to go until it fell apart on him. Easy to fall back on God in hindsight. Hilarious.

He sure loved Tennessee when he was quick to leave us hanging. Frankly, his comment on God comes across as disingenuous at best, and could potentially expose some characteristics of a sociopath.
You’re one of the ones that would rather have Donnie Tyndall aren’t you? 10 year show cause and all.

Ha! That's why he was raring to go until it fell apart on him. Easy to fall back on God in hindsight. Hilarious.

He sure loved Tennessee when he was quick to leave us hanging. Frankly, his comment on God comes across as disingenuous at best, and could potentially expose some characteristics of a sociopath.
So you don't believe Barnes at his word in that quote, but take the other entirely as Gospel? Talk about cherrypicking.

Reactions: Thunder Good-Oil
All of our losses are Q1 and away from home. We're right on track with expectations for the season. What "fade"?
We were discussing the close losses and his lack of success in the tourney as well as the recruiting this next class. BTW Q1 losses are still losses. He’s underperforming for expectations this year no doubt. I’m not hating just stating facts. This was a projected elite 8-4 team by many pundits. Not looking so as of now. That’s all we were talking about. Cool your jets bro. If he makes a final four I’ll be amazed but happy and say I was wrong, just don’t see that happening.

Reactions: vols35
We were discussing the close losses and his lack of success in the tourney as well as the recruiting this next class. BTW Q1 losses are still losses. He’s underperforming for expectations this year no doubt. I’m not hating just stating facts. This was a projected elite 8-4 team by many pundits. Not looking so as of now. That’s all we were talking about. Cool your jets bro. If he makes a final four I’ll be amazed but happy and say I was wrong, just don’t see that happening.

Saying that we are underperforming isn't really a fact. We were preseason AP ranked 18th. We were 18th last week and moved to 22nd (20th in the coaches poll) this week. Show me who else projected us to be a FF or EE team?

In fact, I just looked up the preseason projections from all 5 of SI's writers, and not one listed us. Ironically, two listed Texas, who isn't that good either. I just looked up Athlon's preseason tournament predictions, and we are a 5 seed. I just looked at all 5 writers for CBS, and Matt Norlander picked us for the FF. Ironically, again, Texas, Michigan, and Arkansas were also popular picks. Norlander wrote UT is my "why the heck not" pick. On ESPN, there were 3 writers for the SEC- none picked UT players for any awards. When asked, who can make a run AFTER Kentucky? One said Arkansas, one said Alabama, and one said UT had a nice mix of young and veteran talent.

This is part of the issue with our fans. They overinflate our own team. We were not a pick "by many pundits." Figment of the imagination.

Last edited:
I think both Barnes and Cuonzo have the same issues, both are excellent coaches but are from a different era. We have the same problem in football where the game ran away and left coaches like Mark Richt, Les Miles, and even Phillip Fulmer in the dust. The style of game to win today in Basketball is different than the era when they played.

That being said, I feel like we are fortunate to have Barnes as a coach. We could do much worse.

As I posted earlier, look at the losses so far this year. They were all on the road or neutral site against a team that will be dancing in March and some of these teams will be going far in the tournament. We have a lot of solid wins on our resume as well including that W @ home against Arizona. There is definitely a difference when we play at home versus the road.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Saying that we are underperforming isn't really a fact. We were preseason AP ranked 18th. We were 18th last week and moved to 22nd this week. Show me who else projected us to be a FF or EE team?

In fact, I just looked up the preseason projections from all 5 of SI's writers, and not one listed us. Ironically, two listed Texas, who isn't that good either. I just looked up Athlon's preseason tournament predictions, and we are a 5 seed. I just looked at all 5 writers for CBS, and Matt Norlander picked us for the FF. Ironically, again, Texas, Michigan, and Arkansas were also popular picks. Norlander wrote UT is my "why the heck not" pick. On ESPN, there were 3 writers for the SEC- none picked UT players for any awards. When asked, who can make a run AFTER Kentucky? One said Arkansas, one said Alabama, and one said UT had a nice mix of young and veteran talent.

This is part of the issue with our fans. They overinflate our own team. We were not a pick "by many pundits." Figment of the imagination.

Thank you. Not to mention our losses were all away from home to top caliber teams and some of these losses have literally come down to the last play (@ Alabama, Texas Tech, @Texas).

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Saying that we are underperforming isn't really a fact. We were preseason AP ranked 18th. We were 18th last week and moved to 22nd this week. Show me who else projected us to be a FF or EE team?

Slice it any way you like it but a coach with 34 years experience and his 7th year in, shouldn't be still looking for his offense or his front court half way thru the season. what's the guy learned in 34 years?

Slice it any way you like it but a coach with 34 years experience and his 7th year in, shouldn't be still looking for his offense or his front court half way thru the season. what's the guy learned in 34 years?
Didn't realize he had the same players all 34 years. It's almost like each team's makeup is diffirent.

Reactions: GenRRN

Deflect, deflect, and deflect. That wasn't the discussion.

I was presented with something that was not true, and I put forth the facts to refute it. I never said anything about our offense, which I KNOW can struggle at times.

No it wasn’t.

Saying that we are underperforming isn't really a fact. We were preseason AP ranked 18th. We were 18th last week and moved to 22nd (20th in the coaches poll) this week. Show me who else projected us to be a FF or EE team?

Yup, I’ve stated this multiple times, although didn’t lay it out as detailed as you…analytic projections had us 13-25, human element polls had us around 20, literally nobody unbiased had this team projected or expected Top 10, yet fans try to say it’s a Top 5-10 team that was expected to be Elite 8 or better.

Defense? Or we just ignore the fact that it’s elite?
Elite Defense. okay. Our Hofer (with 34 years experience) just got schooled in what Elite defense is(we won't mention the opposing coach's credentials). Take out their best player. and he had even less offense than our HOFer put on the floor. Face it. You Sunshine Pumpers are okay as long as TN finishes in the top 68 in the country. Or can we make it the top 32 when it's finished.

Reactions: Big time vol
Elite Defense. okay. Our Hofer (with 34 years experience) just got schooled in what Elite defense is(we won't mention the opposing coach's credentials). Take out their best player. and he had even less offense than our HOFer put on the floor. Face it. You Sunshine Pumpers are okay as long as TN finishes in the top 68 in the country. Or can we make it the top 32 when it's finished.
I’m not sure you have a firm grasp on reality.

Reactions: GenRRN
I’m not sure you have a firm grasp on reality.
Pot Kettle? Reality is we've got a HOF coach with 34 years experience in his 7th season still trying to figure out his offense and which front court players to put on the floor. Which reality are you living in?
PS Sorry I forgot. You live in the World of Projections. We right where dey said we be. It's all good.

Last edited:
Pot Kettle? Reality is we've got a HOF coach with 34 years experience in his 7th season still trying to figure out his offense and which front court players to put on the floor. Which reality are you living in?
PS Sorry I forgot. You live in the World of Projections. We right where dey said we be. It's all good.
He is a defensive minded coach, we are good at that, we could absolutely be better/need to be better offensively. If we were the 5th best offense and 70th best defense with the exact same record but no 50pt showings would you suddenly feel better?

That being said, I feel like we are fortunate to have Barnes as a coach. We could do much worse.
I'm sorry to pick on this point in particular, but this kind of sentiment is, to me, a little worrisome.

Of course we could do worse—that's not a very profound statement. We could go back to the days of a nearly empty TBA, right? That was truly sad.

But the yearly results we've seen from Rick's teams could also be much better. For those who think it's crazy to dream that big, I guess I'd say ... we'll probably continue to get what we deserve/expect, in that case.

I'm sorry to pick on this point in particular, but this kind of sentiment is, to me, a little worrisome.

Of course we could do worse—that's not a very profound statement. We could go back to the days of a nearly empty TBA, right? That was truly sad.

But the yearly results we've seen from Rick's teams could also be much better. For those who think it's crazy to dream that big, I guess I'd say ... we'll probably continue to get what we deserve/expect, in that case.

I disagree. We are a program that has never made a Final Four and only one Elite 8 ever. We also haven't won the SEC Tournament since the 1970s. Vandy has won the Tournament several times.

In basketball, performance in tournaments is everything. No one cares about regular season wins with the exception of whether they get you in the dance or not. This is what hurts Tennessee as a program. Programs like VCU are on par with Tennessee because they have made runs in the tournament while we continue to choke as a program.

I don't think Tennessee is a very strong Basketball program overall. If you want a great football comparison to Tennessee Basketball, I would put us on the level of a Missouri, NC State, or Purdue in football.

Now Women's Basketball is an entirely different story. Historically, we are to Women's Basketball what Kentucky is to Men's Basketball and should be a regular FF contender and be able to hire the best coaches.

I get what you are saying about facilities and money but that won't matter until we start making deeper runs in March.

Reactions: Big time vol
I disagree. We are a program that has never made a Final Four and only one Elite 8 ever. We also haven't won the SEC Tournament since the 1970s. Vandy has won the Tournament several times.

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make with Vanderbilt. They have a good basketball program.

Vanderbilt won one SEC Tournament in each era and wasn’t in any other SECT championship game. TN has won 4x and was the runner up 8x.

VN Store

Back