Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Barnes winning 25 games 3 years in a row? Has Durant been cloned? Because that is the only time he has done it.

Kevin Durant played one year in college. And...Barnes won 24+ games 4 out of 5 years before Durant was even there.

In fact, Barnes won 24+ games 10 times at Texas and 12 times overall.

For a program that dates back over 100 years and has made just 1 Elite 8 in its entire history I have a hard time setting the bar at Elite 8 or better.

And for the millionth time it seems, that E8 was pretty unexpected. The fanbase was growing impatient with Pearl and we went into that NCAAT after a beatdown by UK in the SECT. Anyone saying they expected the best NCAAT run in history would be lying. Also thanks to Ohio for upsetting Georgetown.

For all the praise that Pearl gets, that E8 run was the exception here.

Kevin Durant played one year in college. And...Barnes won 24+ games 4 out of 5 years before Durant was even there.

In fact, Barnes won 24+ games 10 times at Texas and 12 times overall.
Throwing in a bunch of statistics doesn't change the fact that he won 25 games 3 years in a row once.

Throwing in a bunch of statistics doesn't change the fact that he won 25 games 3 years in a row once.

Lol...throwing out an arbitrary number is just the same (and I know BTO was the one who did). But the difference between 24 and 25 wins is minimal in the grand scheme of things.

People have lost their minds and reasonableness when trying to defend their arguments on Barnes.

Oh, and Kevin Durant still only played one year. In fact, Barnes won more games in the two years without Durant. Two Elite Eight bookends with Durant in the middle.

Lol...throwing out an arbitrary number is just the same (and I know BTO was the one who did). But the difference between 24 and 25 wins is minimal in the grand scheme of things.

People have lost their minds and reasonableness when trying to defend their arguments on Barnes.

Oh, and Kevin Durant still only played one year. In fact, Barnes won more games in the two years without Durant. Two Elite Eight bookends with Durant in the middle.
Just shows he doesn't coach to his talent. Thank you.

No matter how many times a person declares the need to fire Barnes, it’s not going to happen folks. He’s leaving when he decides to leave, whether you or anyone else likes it or not. Over and over and over ad nauseum. I never knew there were so many termites in the woodwork.

People will say literally anything to poke the bear. Right, wrong or half-truths. Then when someone calls them on it (Durant and his 3 yrs at Texas), they’ll try to justify their lies by saying something else that is yet again indefensible. I swear, you can’t make this stuff up.

Reactions: VolGee4
For a program that dates back over 100 years and has made just 1 Elite 8 in its entire history I have a hard time setting the bar at Elite 8 or better.
If we are going to pay a coach to be one of the Top 5 paid coaches in college basketball, I would sure hope our “ expectations “ are higher than getting to the Sweet 16 ……. I think most fans would agree.

Would love to, but trying to hire a new basketball coach and telling them the bar is Elite 8 or you’re out is gonna shrink that pool of candidates by quite a bit.
Lame response. No one is demanding a " new hire" reach the 8 or you're out.
We have on campus a coach that is headed to hall of fame with overall wins.
Maybe he needs to bust his ass a little more in his golden years to get this program over the hump. You know be remembered as a coach that took two programs to the final four vs dancing with sweet 16's.
I was very happy when UT hired Barnes and recall fans saying he took the job to ride into retirement. I thought that was totally ridiculous. But it's looking like that may be closer to reality.

People will say literally anything to poke the bear. Right, wrong or half-truths. Then when someone calls them on it (Durant and his 3 yrs at Texas), they’ll try to justify their lies by saying something else that is yet again indefensible. I swear, you can’t make this stuff up.
Did I say Durant played three years at Texas? Now who is the one lying?

I don't care what Rick is paid, but some posters sound like they have no desire to ever be better because we've never been better. That's the most defeatist line of thinking I can imagine. The expectation for any coach on the campus at UT in any sport is you go out and win the NCAA title in your sport. It's acceptable if you don't and are having success towards that goal, but it should absolutely be the expectation.

If we are going to pay a coach to be one of the Top 5 paid coaches in college basketball, I would sure hope our “ expectations “ are higher than getting to the Sweet 16 ……. I think most fans would agree.
Lol at this take, once again, you weren’t on the board applauding CCM or Barnes when they were outperforming their salaries…expectations should be there regardless.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Lame response. No one is demanding a " new hire" reach the 8 or you're out.
We have on campus a coach that is headed to hall of fame with overall wins.
Maybe he needs to bust his ass a little more in his golden years to get this program over the hump. You know be remembered as a coach that took two programs to the final four vs dancing with sweet 16's.
I was very happy when UT hired Barnes and recall fans saying he took the job to ride into retirement. I thought that was totally ridiculous. But it's looking like that may be closer to reality.

Pretty dumb take…how many NCAAT appearances did Barnes have at Texas and how many E8 or F4 did it produce?

No matter how many times a person declares the need to fire Barnes, it’s not going to happen folks. He’s leaving when he decides to leave, whether you or anyone else likes it or not. Over and over and over ad nauseum. I never knew there were so many termites in the woodwork.
Alot of sheep in the pasture as well

Reactions: CJBlaze
I don't care what Rick is paid, but some posters sound like they have no desire to ever be better because we've never been better. That's the most defeatist line of thinking I can imagine. The expectation for any coach on the campus at UT in any sport is you go out and win the NCAA title in your sport. It's acceptable if you don't and are having success towards that goal, but it should absolutely be the expectation.
Agreed! I don’t understand the loser mindset either. They were the same way with our last 3 football coaches as well.

Pretty dumb take…how many NCAAT appearances did Barnes have at Texas and how many E8 or F4 did it produce?
Dumb? great response when you have nothing else. Most of us know RBs record. If you don't I suggest you try Google.
There is no question he is underperforming here. Let's hope they can get past Vandy tonight.

VN Store

Back