Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Well Jesus TGO, I guess the last three years just don’t count and since NIL/transfer portal is a thing moving forward I just can’t judge a coach anymore on what they do? Come on man.

These are asterisk seasons. Every one for COVID and the N-I-L/unrestricted free agency has changed everything. You know that if TN was at full strength and made deep tourney runs you and the Nega-Vols would be pointing out the disrupted seasons and discounting any success.

These are asterisk seasons. Every one for COVID and the N-I-L/unrestricted free agency has changed everything. You know that if TN was at full strength and made deep tourney runs you and the Nega-Vols would be pointing out the disrupted seasons and discounting any success.

DB87EB90-E3FE-4903-A769-9567D9941410.gif

Bruh we were 17-14 before COVID even became a factor in 2019-2020 I ain’t putting an asterisk on that 😂😂😂

Okay fine put an asterisk on the 2020-2021 season. Fine it didn’t count. If that’s how you want to play it, sure whatever.

And dude, how even. We had one game so far affected by COVID against Bama. Okay don’t count it.

And the transfer portal?!?! Dude we picked up Justin Powell and got to play him IMMEDIATELY. Hell BTO was claiming he was the second coming of Chris Lofton and he got to be immediate eligible which was a positive for us. And we could have gotten more! How is that an asterisk? Dude man I get it you love Barnes but at least try and make decent arguments 😂😂😂

View attachment 428613

Bruh we were 17-14 before COVID even became a factor in 2019-2020 I ain’t putting an asterisk on that 😂😂😂

Okay fine put an asterisk on the 2020-2021 season. Fine it didn’t count. If that’s how you want to play it, sure whatever.

And dude, how even. We had one game so far affected by COVID against Bama. Okay don’t count it.

And the transfer portal?!?! Dude we picked up Justin Powell and got to play him IMMEDIATELY. Hell BTO was claiming he was the second coming of Chris Lofton and he got to be immediate eligible which was a positive for us. And we could have gotten more! How is that an asterisk? Dude man I get it you love Barnes but at least try and make decent arguments 😂😂😂

You must be wasted. I never said that the asterisks are only on TN. I’m talking about the ENTIRE sport. Everybody. And it’s not over. It can easily bleed over into 2022-23.

Obviously in 2019-20 TN’s overriding issues were roster instability and turnover. Turner quit participating and Uros and Vescovi came in mid-season. Grant, Admiral, Kyle, and unexpectedly Bone exited after the prior season.

You must be wasted. I never said that the asterisks are only on TN. I’m talking about the ENTIRE sport. Everybody. And it’s not over. It can easily bleed over into 2022-23.

Obviously in 2019-20 TN’s overriding issues were roster instability and turnover. Turner quit participating and Uros and Vescovi came in mid-season. Grant, Admiral, Kyle, and unexpectedly Bone exited after the prior season.

When do the asterisks end then? Hey @BUBear i got bad news for ya, you’re 2021 national title doesn’t count. It has an asterisk because of COVID.

Also NIL/transfer portal is here to stay and will be in the future. That’s part of the game now. That’s not going away. That is part of the sport. So I guess the whole sport just doesn’t count. But for me, As Brad Pitt said…

Reactions: 05_never_again
When do the asterisks end then? Hey @BUBear i got bad news for ya, you’re 2021 national title doesn’t count. It has an asterisk because of COVID.

Also NIL/transfer portal is here to stay and will be in the future. That’s part of the game now. That’s not going away. That is part of the sport. So I guess the whole sport just doesn’t count. But for me, As Brad Pitt said…

How about having asterisks as long as games continue to be cancelled, players don’t go into COVID protocol, and the west coast conferences actually allow fans to attend games?

When did I suggest that N-I-L is temporary? These are the transition years for major shifts in the landscape. I didn’t say that evolving into the minor leagues is a one off scenario.

Last edited:
Bring Stephen Pearl home with dad as Co head coach. That way both parties could still kinda save face. Bruce might let go of his ego to see his son succeed. We all know it would be Bruce coaching. I know I'm living on fantasy island. "Look boss the plane, the plane."

Bring Stephen Pearl home with dad as Co head coach. That way both parties could still kinda save face. Bruce might let go of his ego to see his son succeed. We all know it would be Bruce coaching. I know I'm living on fantasy island. "Look boss the plane, the plane."
I don’t think you are living on fantasy island. I think you are living in the nut house at Moccasin Bend. This might be one of the craziest ideas that I think I’ve ever read here and that’s really saying something.

Think out of the box.
Well for the money we are paying Barnes there would be lots of options. Of course no matter who you hire, there is no guarantee a new coach would be more successful. College basketball is littered with sure thing coaches failing big time.
hindsight being 20/20 we should have allowed Barnes to leave for UCLA. Now we are stuck and can only hope for the best.

Reactions: Big time vol
Bama can and would match any offer. They damn sure would not just let him walk to a rival.

10% chance of Oats leaving Bama.

You really think they’re going to let him walk to one of their rival schools?

Crazy talk.

Scott Drew is probably the most unrealistic candidate that’s been mentioned on here.

I’d take him a heart beat but why tf would he leave Baylor where he’s won a National Championship and has a chance to win another one, come to Tennessee?

Some of you want to fire people without even having a good back up plan.

Jesus….

I don’t think you are living on fantasy island. I think you are living in the nut house at Moccasin Bend. This might be one of the craziest ideas that I think I’ve ever read here and that’s really saying something.

It was all in jest but thanks for the Mocc Bend comment. I refer people there all the time.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Well for the money we are paying Barnes there would be lots of options. Of course no matter who you hire, there is no guarantee a new coach would be more successful. College basketball is littered with sure thing coaches failing big time.
hindsight being 20/20 we should have allowed Barnes to leave for UCLA. Now we are stuck and can only hope for the best.
I've always said that 5 or 6 million doesn't guarantee you a good hire. Someone could still screw the decision up. But it sure does significantly raise the odds of making a good hire.

Reactions: Big time vol
My list for now would be:
Porter Moser- probably not leaving but you never know
Kelvin Sampson- Better opportunity at TN.
If we are going lower level
Rob Lanier
Steve Forbes
I have to laugh every time Steve Forbes is mentioned. Yes, he did a good job at ETSU but his game management and offensive scheme would be just as frustrating as we have now. And he isn’t exactly lighting it up over at Wake.

Mid-major coaches that have success are great but it doesn’t always translate. ETSU was happy to have him after the d-bag Murry Bartow years but outside of being quotable and a personality, I didn’t see much except for the CoVid shortened year to impress.

Reactions: VolFreakJosh
Seems like most disagree because we aren’t a traditionally good basketball program so in turn we are forced to overpay for lesser results
Just curious. Who is available and who do you think would want to come to Tennessee with a better resume than Barnes.

View attachment 428613

Given how it's been going lately I'm not sure we can even assume Fulkerson would have made a difference against Alabama.

I have to laugh every time Steve Forbes is mentioned. Yes, he did a good job at ETSU but his game management and offensive scheme would be just as frustrating as we have now. And he isn’t exactly lighting it up over at Wake.

Mid-major coaches that have success are great but it doesn’t always translate. ETSU was happy to have him after the d-bag Murry Bartow years but outside of being quotable and a personality, I didn’t see much except for the CoVid shortened year to impress.

Steve Forbes makes no sense if you’re wanting an “upgrade”.

I’d rather take my chances on a rookie coach like Kim English than freaking Steve Forbes.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants

VN Store

Back