Sorry but its getting old [Barnes discussion] (merged)

CBB has become unwatchable. I don't know how we continue to build teams without shooters, but this team is going nowhere. The 2 freshmen guards are all we have, but they can't shoot either. No one on our team can create their own shot.

CBB has become unwatchable. I don't know how we continue to build teams without shooters, but this team is going nowhere. The 2 freshmen guards are all we have, but they can't shoot either. No one on our team can create their own shot.

Huh? Kennedy Chandler can create his own shot. But you don’t have to when you miss half your wide open threes that are set up for you.

Officiating makes college unwatchable.

We can shoot much better than this. We win if we shoot 28 percent. We win if we shoot 60 percent from the free throw line. We win if a 6'7 guard/forward takes a wide open, undefended run to the basket and dunks it like any 1000 other times that happens. The game was ugly and both teams played stupidly bad but I don't think that game was reflective of anything going forward.

How is it possible that all players shoot so bad. Reminds me of last year. Texas tech absolutely shut down the inside and we can’t hit **** from three. It’s like we were at the fair and the rims wouldn’t let the ball go on. It does get old. Oh well. Still don’t wanna lose Barnes. I like making the tourney at least.

Reactions: LibertyVol
Barnes gets us to the tourney..yippee...so we can ALWAYS lose to a team we're favored against. I give him credit for beating Kentucky...was it 3 times a couple years ago? Anyway...I've always called it the "Barnes Wall" and sure as sh*t we always hit it at some point. I don't know how "good" Texas Tech is.... they weren't even ranked. Whatever. A Barnes coached team is always just good enough to give you hope...then shatter it. Every dang time.

Love coach Barnes and he can coach as long as he wants here, but he's a sweet 16 coach. Looking pretty good and giving us hope only to look like crap on offense and underachieve when it matters. New team, same old song.

Yep. Given our tradition of final fours and championships, a sweet 16 coach feels like settling

Lol!

This is silly. I didn't realize the strategy for winning a basketball game changed so drastically in the tournament.

Or maybe it's just like any other tournament where it comes down to a team getting hot and being a little lucky. Eh... who cares? It's more fun blaming Barnes, isn't it?

Thank you for allowing Rick Barnes to continue to coach. I’m sure he appreciates your generosity.
I made an obvious poor choice of wording but glad you got your zinger in.
Yep. Given our tradition of final fours and championships, a sweet 16 coach feels like settling

Lol!
Good thing I don't feel like having Barnes as out coach for a long time is settling.
It doesn't take much for our fair weather fans to turn. Most every team in the country looses more than once. so I just ignore and get ready for the next game
Some of us simply have decided to acknowledge what was in the back of our minds from the get go - 2018 Vols is Barnes ceiling. This isn't about him not being a good coach or that this university "deserves more", hence my opening comment. I used to think Barnes could get to, even win a final 4 at UT but that was on me for being a homer. He is what he is and I still enjoy following them and hope he sticks around for awhile longer.

Wake up people, this is a reoccurring theme. Same thing happened in March against Oregon State and has been happening under Barnes. He is not a good coach, the game has passed him by. WAKE THE **** UP

Haha. Dude, you're the worst.

No you make adjustments. It doesn't matter if you're capable, or you're our of rhythm and ice cold you try to find easier shots to get your rhythm back.. this is very simple. When have you ever seen a team that's shooting 2-22 in the second half suddenly turn it around and start hitting them? It just doesn't happen.
But wait, isn’t that called coaching? If so, WTH happened last night?

To me it's not the result. Early December overtime nuetral court loss to an NCAA Tounament team. That'no big deal. It's the fact that we keep seeing the same thing over and over on offense. Nothing going to the basket, timid players, bricks on wide open shots. It's a broken record.

if you take a team to NYC and leave without anyone being knifed, clubbed, kicked, shot, shoved in front of approaching trains, thrown down subway stairs, arrested for a covid mask violations and no prostitution John charges, in reality you just won the lottery.

Is obviously going to struggle against physical, athletic teams That get up in our grille. We are a finesse team, Fulky is a finesse player, ON is a finesse player, Plavisc is an unathletic player and our most physical player, BHH rides the bench. With that said, I would hope our HOF coach might be able to come up with some other strategy when we are shooting so poorly.Maybe play your most physical post player ( BHH) instead of your finesse post players? Maybe play your best pure shooter ( Powell played 2 minutes in second half) instead of your injured 5 star that was 1-8 from 3 and looked like one of Ole Miss’s football players on a wide open layup ( looks like he got hit by a sniper). This team is going to have bad shooting nights a d if Barnes doesn’t come up with a Plan B, it’s going to be a disappointing season. Now all of you Barnes worshippers can fire away Because I know constructive criticism of our HOF coach is NOT allowed on here.

Last edited:
Reactions: VOLnVANDYland
It's almost as if Fulky has gotten worse. He is non existent on the offensive side of the ball.

VN Store

Back