Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

I hate to be that guy… No I really do, but looking at the returning players and the recruits we have coming in Tennessee is going to take a major step backwards this coming year. With less depth, no KC, this could be the year the Barnes hecklers catch up to him. I’ve been a Barnes believer since he got here and I’ve continued to stick my neck out for him giving him the benefit of the doubt, but is the coaches play style outdated?? I mean all defense, defense , defense , defense and the all to well known phrase,”It’s not about me.”
if you was a recruit would this system jump out at you and make you be interested?? The NBA loves offense, hell everybody does. Ever heard the saying a good offense always beat a good defense?? Well I think that saying is especially true in basketball..
I know I’m probably going to get blasted for this , and part of me really believes in coach Barnes but we have to ask ourselves, is the coaches style outdated boring, and honestly those post season woes makes you wonder if the style even translates to when it matters most.. I know we don’t have any options that’s out there, like a big fish I guess.. but look at TV he was an assistant coach and pretty much everybody overlooked him. He’s done wonders for Tennessee baseball, and it’s because he’s fierce, young, and a go getter with a winning attitude.. maybe just maybe after this season Tennessee finally starts closing the chapter on the Rick Barnes era.

Uros will average 27 pts, 18 rebs, and 11 blocks per game. Problem has been solved.

So what's your solution? Your screen name includes Vol for Life, so I'm assuming you have one. Or are you just here to lament what could possibly happen? Personally, I can see both sides of the argument. Considering this past season, I really thought more players would be interested in coming here. But then again, we do have 4 open spots, and the staff hasn't stopped trying to fill them. It's way too early to panic. If we miss on Phillips and a good portal PG, then I could understand being concerned, but that hasn't happened yet. Maybe we should let this all play out before hitting the panic button?

Truthfully, I'm not good with patience myself, but these things move at their own time, and no matter how fast you or I want it to happen, that doesn't speed up the process.

I mentioned that I really didn’t want to be that guy. Last season in the game forums I constantly was taking up for Rick Barnes. But when you start looking at everything for what it is.. I think it’s time Tennessee starts the process of looking into other options. Barnes has out dated philosophy that is boring and when it matters most what his team is meant to do falls short , or the offense just doesn’t show up.. Seeing what TV has done with vols baseball has made me want more from our basketball program..
we need new life and energy and excitement around basketball. Someone that can take Tennessee basketball farther then any other hc has… I just don’t think Barnes is that guy and like I said If it wasn’t for the sec championship this year.. a lot more fans would be seeing it like this too.

Zz and Vescovi both benefited from having KC. Those open 3s was created by chandler. I just don’t see another guy who can create or get other guys going.
Even with KC who was our difference maker, we still shot poorly.
We losing chandler, fulky, and BHH.. all who played roles or was about to have a huge increase this year (BHH).. can you really be confident in next season??
Until we get like you mentioned, a playmaker on the perimeter.. we are sitting ducks in the sec. Teams like Arkansas, Kentucky, auburn, and all the other teams are adding pieces to their puzzles and we are just watching them while we sit with the same plan as last year with a less talented roster..

It is obvious you are not a believer just like evidently BHH was not a believer. His value add to the team was diminished as a player and it may just be your value as a Vol supporter is in the same shape. If you feel compelled to proclaim our demise before we see who is filling the 13 seats on the bench and how those that remain, especially the underclassmen, have progressed nobody can help you. But most simply lump you in with a few like minded posters and will roll their eyes and hope you guys tire of the agenda and go away. Some will respond to your offerings just to make sure outsiders know your takes are among those that we often refer to as one of those fans that every fan base has some of. We can deal with reality when it is real.

Reactions: ArdentVol
You guys are so negative ALL THE TIME... 🙄. The team will be fine.

Trust me bro.
I hope so.. I’m not a negative person and I’ve always had optimism for Barnes..
just looking at everything and I’m just saying this year could be the beginning of the end for ol Barnes.. I’m you think I’m bad?? Just wait for the Maui tournament were gonna play in at the beginning of the year.. first blow out loss and this place is gonna go crazy. I’m just preparing myself before it happens and you should too sir.

Do you see any other player having a break out year?? 😂😂
I think you will see Jahmai and Jonas have a bigger role. I think both will have very productive seasons. I think BHH moving on will hurt, but I didnt see anything more with him last year that would make me more excited in his development than I did in the 2 names I mentioned.

It's nice to know finding a coach that can take us farther than Barnes ever could is so simple and easy...
Tennessee, of all fan bases, should know that there are worse things than having a coach who struggles to get past the round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament... such as being coached by the Buzz Peterson's of the world, and not even making the damn tournament at all.

It is obvious you are not a believer just like evidently BHH was not a believer. His value add to the team was diminished as a player and it may just be your value as a Vol supporter is in the same shape. If you feel compelled to proclaim our demise before we see who is filling the 13 seats on the bench and how those that remain, especially the underclassmen, have progressed nobody can help you. But most simply lump you in with a few like minded posters and will roll their eyes and hope you guys tire of the agenda and go away. Some will respond to your offerings just to make sure outsiders know your takes are among those that we often refer to as one of those fans that every fan base has some of. We can deal with reality when it is real.
I
im not a believer?? So if this team was to lose every single game and I didn’t 100 percent stand behind them and be confident the coaches have it under control I’m not a believer ??
I mean if everybody here is totally fine with watching barnes basketball for another 10 years that’s fine with me your entitled to your opinion but the defense first philosophy is boring and it’s the same ending to every season for Barnes..
with your attitude we will win 17-25 games a year in the regular season. Sneak a tourney championship every 40 years, and never make it to the final four.

Reactions: bolservol
I

im not a believer?? So if this team was to lose every single game and I didn’t 100 percent stand behind them and be confident the coaches have it under control I’m not a believer ??
I mean if everybody here is totally fine with watching barnes basketball for another 10 years that’s fine with me your entitled to your opinion but the defense first philosophy is boring and it’s the same ending to every season for Barnes..
with your attitude we will win 17-25 games a year in the regular season. Sneak a tourney championship every 40 years, and never make it to the final four.

Man, go back to bed. You obviously need a few more hours of rest.

Uros will average 27 pts, 18 rebs, and 11 blocks per game. Problem has been solved.
I mean people must have this mindset not to be worried about our team 😂 I mean our post was already our weak point. Losing BHH takes away a playmaker.
The rest of the guys are just meh.
I want something new!! The same Barnes crap is old man.. let’s get another hc before Barnes leaves ut In a dumpster fire. I mean we all see the break up happening let’s do it on our terms this time??

just looking at everything and I’m just saying this year could be the beginning of the end for ol Barnes.. I’m you think I’m bad?? Just wait for the Maui tournament were gonna play in at the beginning of the year.. first blow out loss and this place is gonna go crazy. I’m just preparing myself before it happens and you should too sir.

😂😂

Man, go back to bed. You obviously need a few more hours of rest.
Please tell me why you’re so confident in this team this upcoming season??..
You need to wake up my friend. Theirs no help coming in the transfer portal , we missed on all the big recruits.. we lost more then we gained this off season period! The other big teams in the sec.. auburn ,Kentucky, Arkansas .. look at what they’re doing.

I mean people must have this mindset not to be worried about our team 😂 I mean our post was already our weak point. Losing BHH takes away a playmaker.
The rest of the guys are just meh.
I want something new!! The same Barnes crap is old man.. let’s get another hc before Barnes leaves ut In a dumpster fire. I mean we all see the break up happening let’s do it on our terms this time??
In all seriousness this team still has some solid returning pieces even with the departures to the portal. Some of them (not named BHH) might very well be addition by subtraction. We have a stud at PG who has proven he can run the offense combined with some veteran players on the perimeter in JJJ and SV. BHH leaving hurts but Aidoo, Uros, and ORN have shown they can play. Barnes can still recruit and bring in talented players. Don’t forget that.

I see this season going better than most of you all believe. Too many hungry players left on the roster. Being a former athlete, it's hard for me to doubt a group of seasoned guys who are hungry for more. If I am wrong, hmu at the end of the season.

Please tell me why you’re so confident in this team this upcoming season??..
You need to wake up my friend. Theirs no help coming in the transfer portal , we missed on all the big recruits.. we lost more then we gained this off season period! The other big teams in the sec.. auburn ,Kentucky, Arkansas .. look at what they’re doing.
I looked at what they did last year too. I also remember what we did. As I mentioned above, grab some rest my friend.

I’m confused. Are you bashing CRB’s coaching style of tough nosed defense or his recruiting / portal failures?
I’m basking a head coach who’s philosophy is boring for one. And well for two who’s philosophy has gotten him to the final four one time iN the man’s entire head coach career. And yea I will admit he did horrible recruiting and what has he done in the transfer portal?

Tennessee, of all fan bases, should know that there are worse things than having a coach who struggles to get past the round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament... such as being coached by the Buzz Peterson's of the world, and not even making the damn tournament at all.

Preach it! Get ya some of that Wade the Fade and Buzz Kill then you know what true pessimism should be. I'm going to play wait and see on what team we field, then I'm still not going to be in that level of despair.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
At the beginning of the season.. when you see it all happening.. remember this thread. You obviously just keep the shades on and think everything’s fine!! 😂😂😂
SMH
Cmon Barnes let’s run it back for another 30 years!! 😂😂
Do you troll a lot? You're not really that good at it.

trolling-for-dummies.png

VN Store

Back