• We've had an issue with our name servers today that may be affecting a number of users from accessing the site.

Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Coach Barnes brought home an SEC Tournament Championship (finally). We hadn’t won one since 1979.

While I am disappointed that the team didn’t go farther in March Madness, it’s difficult for me to NOT be ecstatic about the season.

I never said it wasn’t a good job, but every P5 school has money. Those things aren’t mutually exclusive. You are delusional.

UF hired Mike White from a mid major and now a guy who has 3 years of total head coaching experience. They have 2 national titles in the last 15 years. LSU hired a mid major, Arkansas hired a mid major (but one that isn’t normal with NBA experience), Arizona hired an assistant with no head coaching experience, Duke and UNC just promoted assistants with no head coaching experience…need I go on?

The college coaching landscape has changed. $6 million for a coach doesn’t sway a sitting P5 coach because he already has a contract for big money and is comfortable. Good luck with that!

Not every power 5 has money and not even the majority are paying over 5 miilion for a bball coach. So on that you are dead wrong.

Reactions: Big time vol
I never said it wasn’t a good job, but every P5 school has money. Those things aren’t mutually exclusive. You are delusional.

UF hired Mike White from a mid major and now a guy who has 3 years of total head coaching experience. They have 2 national titles in the last 15 years. LSU hired a mid major, Arkansas hired a mid major (but one that isn’t normal with NBA experience), Arizona hired an assistant with no head coaching experience, Duke and UNC just promoted assistants with no head coaching experience…need I go on?

The college coaching landscape has changed. $6 million for a coach doesn’t sway a sitting P5 coach because he already has a contract for big money and is comfortable. Good luck with that!

And Florida hired an excellent coach that I’m sure you know little about. Watch and see.

Oh and the 6 mill number would definitely bring great interest. There aren’t many gym teachers making that kind of money in Power 5.

Tennessee is a great basketball job despite your negative assessment of what TN bball is.

Not every power 5 has money and not even the majority are paying over 5 miilion for a bball coach. So on that you are dead wrong.

Lol…every P5 has money. You get presented facts and just ignore them. We are paying 5 million right now because he was offered another job. Doesn’t mean we will start at 5 million. Some of you don’t know how this works.

But even if we did offer 5 million, there is no one in the current top 25 that would even sniff this job unless it’s a mid major. Buzz Williams makes 4.1 and Ed Cooley at Providence makes 3.4, a school that doesn’t even have football.

This game isn’t on Barnes. We had our ice cold perimeter shooting return at the most inopportune time.

It’s not on Barnes, but it’s solidified to me that this university is just broken. If THIS team with THIS talent and THIS elite Point Guard couldn’t get it done, no team is going to get it done.

It’s time to just enjoy regular season basketball for what it is. We’re ****ing cursed. We’ll never get it done.

An underachieving coach at an underachieving program isn’t a great recipe for NCAA tourney success.

Think about the number of quality players we’ve had under Barnes and only been able to get to one Sweet Sixteen game whereas Auburn and eff’in South Carolina have made Final Fours.

Turns my stomach Vols couldn’t advance further with Kennedy Chandler. Kid’s a great player.

Reactions: Volnbeers
And Florida hired an excellent coach that I’m sure you know little about. Watch and see.

Oh and the 6 mill number would definitely bring great interest. There aren’t many gym teachers making that kind of money in Power 5.

Tennessee is a great basketball job despite your negative assessment of what TN bball is.

It’s reality. You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. A P5 coach versus a guy with 3 years of experience? LMAO. We aren’t offering 6 million to start. Barnes doesn’t even make that. He got there with incentives.

An underachieving coach at an underachieving program isn’t a great recipe for NCAA tourney success.

Think about the number of quality players we’ve had under Barnes and only been able to get to one Sweet Sixteen game whereas Auburn and eff’in South Carolina have made Final Fours.

Turns my stomach Vols couldn’t advance further with Kennedy Chandler. Kid’s a great player.

What good has that FF done SC? They were garbage before and they are garbage after. And not one person thinks 'Hmmmm SC is about to bust out!"

Reactions: Rickyvol77
What good has that FF done SC? They were garbage before and they are garbage after. And not one person thinks 'Hmmmm SC is about to bust out!"

So you prefer faltering in first or second round every year versus getting to a Final Four? Got it. That’s the equivalent of losing in the Music City or Alamo Bowl instead of getting to the CFB playoff.

So you prefer faltering in first or second round every year versus getting to a Final Four? Got it. That’s the equivalent of losing in the Music City or Alamo Bowl instead of getting to the CFB playoff.

Yes. Because Gonzaga and Saint Peters are going to see each other in the Orange Bowl.

What USC has done is akin to not making a bowl for 4 years before and after a CFB playoff appearance. No UT fan would sign up for that either.

Yes, losing in first or second round is what it’s all about.

I’m just saying having a losing season 8 out of 9 years is not acceptable. A coach at UT wouldn’t even make it that long. With one SS under Barnes, it’s more like going to a NY6 bowl one of the years. After wandering in the wilderness the last 15 years, UT fans would be ecstatic.

Who cares if you don’t win the whole thing. Go away troll loser

Reactions: SoilVol

So according to your standards, Frank Martin is a better coach because he has a Final Four despite getting canned for losing at SC?

I’m just saying having a losing season 8 out of 9 years is not acceptable. A coach at UT wouldn’t even make it that long. With one SS under Barnes, it’s more like going to a NY6 bowl one of the years. After wandering in the wilderness the last 15 years, UT fans would be ecstatic.

But your hypothesis is completely wrong.

Green 4 of 4 NCAAT appearances - 1 sweet 16.
Pearl 6 of 6 NCAAT appearances - 3 sweet 16 - one elite 8.
Barnes 4 of 7 NCAAT appearances - 1 sweet 16. C Martin 1 of 3 NCAAT appearances - 1 sweet 16.

So….. carry on.

Reactions: Big time vol

Barnes 4 of 7 NCAAT appearances - 1 sweet 16. C Martin 1 of 3 NCAAT appearances - 1 sweet 16.

So….. carry on.
Again. Who cares if you don’t win it

So….. carry on.

Barnes is 4 of 6.

VN Store

Back