Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Steve Forbes makes no sense if you’re wanting an “upgrade”.

I’d rather take my chances on a rookie coach like Kim English than freaking Steve Forbes.

Yes sir. I watched ETSU play several times during his tenure and it wasn’t exactly impressive. Sure, he got some wins and made ETSU look good but it’s easy to do when the bulk of your schedule is VMI and Citadel type teams. Plus his offense is frustrating to watch - too focused on one dominant (for a mid) player and the defense is practically non-existent. He relied on playing teams that can’t shoot in the SoCon.

He might have success at Wake, but again, the schedule isn’t exactly a world beater.

I’m frustrated with Barnes, beyond frustrated, but we have to be careful on what we wish for.

The Forbes love is unbelievable. Know of some Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia boys that he was recruiting and after his visit with the family, NONE went to ETSU. Family says he had one of the filthiest mouths they had ever witnessed. Seems to me to be another Snake Oil salesman, like his mentor.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
The Forbes love is unbelievable. Know of some Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia boys that he was recruiting and after his visit with the family, NONE went to ETSU. Family says he had one of the filthiest mouths they had ever witnessed. Seems to me to be another Snake Oil salesman, like his mentor.

I was avoiding that topic, but he wasn’t well liked outside of the Johnson City Blue Hairs and part of the donor cabal at ETSU. Well known as an arrogant a-hole that spoke out of his both sides of his mouth. Enjoyed being a small town celebrity and ran that into the ground wherever possible.

Reactions: LSG410EC83
Barnes seems like decent guy. After 7 YEARS as head coach the best inside guy he can offer is Fulkerson. I just don't think that cuts it. Hope I'm wrong, but I see a steady decline until Rick's buyout in a few years. Hope White has a focused eye on a replacement candidate and won't be asleep at the wheel when it happens.

Just my opinion, the pining for Pearl is really getting old. We should focus on how to incorporate NIL initiatives into our BB program. Maybe keep a few NBA ifs for a year longer.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
Nate Oats, the guy that is 11-6(2-3) in conference play? We have a better record and yet we want to make a change, hmmm.
Nate Oats reminds me Pearl to a certain extent, just more mature and professional. He players like him and buy into his game plan. He can recruit athletes and many develop. BUT he allows very undisciplined play and very questionable shot selection often in the handful of Alabama games I have watched. The type of team who will look dominate at times but can let opponents back into games by simply playing dumb.

Nate Oats reminds me Pearl to a certain extent, just more mature and professional. He players like him and buy into his game plan. He can recruit athletes and many develop. BUT he allows very undisciplined play and very questionable shot selection often in the handful of Alabama games I have watched. The type of team who will look dominate at times but can let opponents back into games by simply playing dumb.
Name me one coach we have ever hired from Alabama in any Sport that has been worth a damn. Besides Ken Donahue and he started with Tennessee ties and wanted to retire.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Don't want to suggest anything, but wonder who will give Gregg Marshall a second go.
If he went out on top, maybe somebody would. Maybe. Wichita St did pay him a nearly $8m settlement.

Marshall kind of quietly had throttled down the last few years he was there. He didn't make it past the first weekend of the NCAAT his last 4 years there, and he was nowhere near as strong once they went to the AAC. I also don't think it is a coincidence the stuff about his abusing players came out after he stopped winning as much.

If he went out on top, maybe somebody would. Maybe. Wichita St did pay him a nearly $8m settlement.

Marshall kind of quietly had throttled down the last few years he was there. He didn't make it past the first weekend of the NCAAT his last 4 years there, and he was nowhere near as strong once they went to the AAC. I also don't think it is a coincidence the stuff about his abusing players came out after he stopped winning as much.
He won 23 games the year he was being investigated and they cancelled the season for covid. If he was throttling down, what do you call TN's cooling off after Grant left.

Reactions: Big time vol

VN Store

Back