Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Seemed like the regular season and regular season match-up against Bama mattered at the time lol
Thank you for an outright Sec title Coach Barnes. It has not gone unnoticed sir!

Criminal to not be mentioned especially if we close out regular season with Kentucky win. Not sure if any team could go 4-0 last two weeks and we have our chance to do so. I also would like to play Miss. St. in that 8/9 game to have a shot at beating every team in the conference this season.

Seemed like the regular season and regular season match-up against Bama mattered at the time lol
You mean I actually can acknowledge the good and the bad. I can think rationally and give credit where it’s due and criticize when it’s needed as well.
Why thank you sir for recognizing that!
It did matter then and will always matter….but now matters more..it’s just that simple…with Bama and Oats a foot away from a Final Four it’s almost necessary to keep winning.

Dude Oats has won as many Sec titles and one more tourney title than Barnes has in less time. He is now one foot away from a Final Four. We will see how it plays out. But don’t give me the Barnes is way better than Oats crap. It’s ridiculous. Or do you only know one sided what a coach has done?

The guy makes so many faux homer arguments that he embarrasses himself.

Reactions: Danl and berryvol
Many people want him fired if he doesn’t get past Sweet 16.

Also, if that’s not you, then what’s your point in posting about Oats being better than Barnes, The night before a Sweet 16 game? It’s weird.
I posted that I do not want to hear that Barnes is far superior to Oats. Do you like taking things out of context and twisting it around. These messages also got moved from another thread that berry, I and a few others were talking in so maybe you missed it.

Many people want him fired if he doesn’t get past Sweet 16.

Also, if that’s not you, then what’s your point in posting about Oats being better than Barnes, The night before a Sweet 16 game? It’s weird.
But no you can’t fire Barnes under any circumstance. He has done good job at making the program stable and good. But as I have said before I do want Final Fours at some point and if Bama/Oats make one before we do then that will not sit right with me.

Regular season wins and titles do not mean as much as Final Fours and national titles. If you have a hard time comprehending that then I am not sure what to tell you. I graduated from UT and might be higher functioning than most.

Final Four or bust is a bit dramatic but you do you.

Reactions: Danl and OrangeInKy
Final Four or bust is a bit dramatic but you do you.
Yet it makes perfect sense. This is probably our best team under Barnes. You also didn’t quote that or refer to it the first time. It can me dramatic all you want but it doesn’t stop it from being the goal. Now that a hated rival (Bama) or a lower level overall program (Clemson) than us is guaranteed to make their first final four, it is even more pertinent. We are more than good enough to have multiple final fours under our belt as a basketball program. I really do not see us being this good for a few years either…so when is it coming if we do not do it this time…

But no you can’t fire Barnes under any circumstance. He has done good job at making the program stable and good. But as I have said before I do want Final Fours at some point and if Bama/Oats make one before we do then that will not sit right with me.
We ALL want the final four, but if Oats makes it this year it doesn’t make him better than Barnes. Just like Frank Martin isn’t better than Barnes, for example.

Yet it makes perfect sense. This is probably our best team under Barnes. You also didn’t quote that or refer to it the first time. It can me dramatic all you want but it doesn’t stop it from being the goal. Now that a hated rival (Bama) or a lower level overall program (Clemson) than us is guaranteed to make their first final four, it is even more pertinent. We are more than good enough to have multiple final fours under our belt as a basketball program. I really do not see us being this good for a few years either…so when is it coming if we do not do it this time…
I can rattle off many coaches who’ve made final fours, and most fans won’t even remember them. There are so many teams who have gotten there. Some were fired just a couple years later. Guthridge made one (thank you Jerry Green), for example. Making a final four is what we all want, but it isn’t how you grade a coach, entirely. Barnes has made 1, in a lot of years of coaching. Granted, he should have made more, but he’s still better than almost every other active coach in college basketball.

I can rattle off many coaches who’ve made final fours, and most fans won’t even remember them. There are so many teams who have gotten there. Some were fired just a couple years later. Guthridge made one (thank you Jerry Green), for example. Making a final four is what we all want, but it isn’t how you grade a coach, entirely. Barnes has made 1, in a lot of years of coaching. Granted, he should have made more, but he’s still better than almost every other active coach in college basketball.
Some folks on here have talked up Frank Martin for getting to a Final Four and missing the tournament entirely for his other 9 years at South Carolina. There’s no sense in it. Our fans would not be satisfied to remember one good showing in an entire decade with no significant potential in the other years.

Regular season wins and titles do not mean as much as Final Fours and national titles. If you have a hard time comprehending that then I am not sure what to tell you. I graduated from UT and might be higher functioning than most.
Would you take a FF if you knew we would miss the tournament the next 2 years?

Do you know how many teams are “good enough” to make final fours every year? Arizona , UNC, Purdue are examples of teams that have been final 4 good many times and fallen short. Lots of teams are good enough. I’m not sure people understand how difficult it is and all of the variables involved. Barnes lost his star point guard last year shortly before the tourney. Didn’t have Alexander in 2018. The Purdue “foul” in 2019, etc. Stuff happens.

Reactions: EasternVol
Do you know how many teams are “good enough” to make final fours every year? Arizona , UNC, Purdue are examples of teams that have been final 4 good many times and fallen short. Lots of teams are good enough. I’m not sure people understand how difficult it is and all of the variables involved. Barnes lost his star point guard last year shortly before the tourney. Didn’t have Alexander in 2018. The Purdue “foul” in 2019, etc. Stuff happens.
If you’re not a blue blood that can stack entire rosters of McDonald’s All Americans, it’s harder to make a Final Four than to win a national championship in football.

VN Store

Back