Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Fair on the NCs. Cal hasn’t done squat since 2015 and Jimbo since Famous Jameis. If it was pay for performance those guys should be getting reduced salaries but that’s not how it works.

I don't care for Cal, but he's won something like 4 combined SEC regular season and SECT championships and went to the elite 8 twice during his "down" era. We'd be pie in the sky for those results.

Just the latest bust transfer for Barnes.
It’s time for a new HC; RB recruits, there have been a few good players, but he never really goes deep into his bench for point getters. Most if he’s recruits are projects.

Water seeks its own level, RB WILL NEVER GET THE VOLS A FINAL 4 OR A CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

I get it that here at TN, I get it matters how we play the game! We strive for excellence of integrity in all areas for. a HC, but you can do that and win TOO.

It’s time to flush RB, we can have a HC / leader with integrity as well and have him be a winner. A winner without a post season glass ceiling like RB has.

RB WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN UPGRADE TO Cuonzo Martin; he’s has not been that, but both are men of integrity on and off the court.

It’s time to stop retreading all these HC RUN OUT OF TOWN, from other programs, HCs bring in some a young, talented, bright head coach with the same qualities like Josh Heupel has just in basketball arena. A HC that thinks outside the box and places a premium on the next man up scenario for all positions on the court, you perform at a higher level making quality shots with good teamwork, or you set the bench.

Just saying!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Big time vol
There is no evidence either way at this point. The team shot 30% (they hit a few finally at the end of the game so actually worse than 30% in the key part of the game). They missed good shots, especially from 2-point range. You don't advance in the NCAA without hitting shots. I think Barnes's game plan was bad but still, if they had hit shots they would have won easily.

This is why I think Barnes needs to spend less time on defense once they understand the schemes and put the focus back on shooting and offense. We’re inconsistent shooting the ball, and have been for most of his tenure here, which tells me Barnes doesn’t spend enough time on letting these guys shoot in practice or the guys he recruits aren’t great all around shooters. FAU found a way around our defense…and they only shot low 30% from the field. Good, consistent shooting teams win championships. They just have enough defense to be effective down the stretch.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
Danny White’s last basketball hire has only made one NCAAT in 7 years. I like him but he is human too.

Was Danny White’s basketball hire at a program that is in one of the two best leagues, pays too 5-10 in the nation money, and has crazy resources in the AD?
UCF is about to enter the Big 12. So yes to being in one of the two best leagues.

They are the biggest school in the country by enrollment, so they churn out alumni by the tens of thousands per year. I’d imagine they’re doing just fine in the financial department. In a great location too.

UCF is about to enter the Big 12. So yes to being in one of the two best leagues.

They are the biggest school in the country by enrollment, so they churn out alumni by the tens of thousands per year. I’d imagine they’re doing just fine in the financial department. In a great location too.

Lmao. That’s a lie. About to be in the Big 12 is not the same as being in the Big 12. They were a mid major years ago when White made a hoops hire. What a clown take.

Rick Barnes has been to a Final 4. Tennessee has not. Rick Barnes has been to 3 E8s. Tennessee has been to 1.

Rick Barnes isn’t keeping Tennessee out of the Final 4. Tennessee is keeping Rick Barnes out of the Final 4. It’s nonsensical to complain about Barnes’ post season lack of success when he’s had much more than Tennessee (and Tennessee has played basketball for 4x as many years as Barnes has coached).

Bottom line, you have to hit shots. We got plenty of looks. But just like so many chokes in the NCAAT past, we couldn’t shoot. I don’t know what it’s going to take. This just seems to be our fate.
Who recruited these players that can't make a shot?

Nate Oates and Kelvin Sampson losing to higher seeds - fire them

Posted this in another thread, but Barnes tournament winning percentage here and Oats tournament winning percentage at Alabama are virtually the same. 54% and 57% respectively.

Fahr Oats! He can’t win in the doggone tournament when it matters!

Reactions: JCP201
I don't care for Cal, but he's won something like 4 combined SEC regular season and SECT championships and went to the elite 8 twice during his "down" era. We'd be pie in the sky for those results.

And most KY fans say the game has passed him by. He better get to the final four next yr with the influx of talent coming in. Otherwise that fan base will riot against his a$$. Personally, I think KY will make a deep run as they will be very talented and Cal will allow them to play fast.

Rick Barnes has been to a Final 4. Tennessee has not. Rick Barnes has been to 3 E8s. Tennessee has been to 1.

Rick Barnes isn’t keeping Tennessee out of the Final 4. Tennessee is keeping Rick Barnes out of the Final 4. It’s nonsensical to complain about Barnes’ post season lack of success when he’s had much more than Tennessee (and Tennessee has played basketball for 4x as many years as Barnes has coached).

Bottom line, you have to hit shots. We got plenty of looks. But just like so many chokes in the NCAAT past, we couldn’t shoot. I don’t know what it’s going to take. This just seems to be our fate.
Bingo!

And most KY fans say the game has passed him by. He better get to the final four next yr with the influx of talent coming in. Otherwise that fan base will riot against his a$$. Personally, I think KY will make a deep run as they will be very talented and Cal will allow them to play fast.

Kentucky fans aren't that smart but they are demanding of excellence.

VN Store

Back