Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

The thing about Barnes is that he is awesome at coaching right up until the game starts which overall makes him a good coach. When the game starts he, for lack of a better word, is retarded. He is possibly the worst in major college basketball.

Right and that's why he has a winning record at Tennessee and is considered a HOF coach

How did you win the race?

We have no history in basketball but to not see the changing trends with the SEC is insane. The SEC is about to make bank on TV deals with realignment and then SEC programs will make 3x ACC, Big12, and Pac12, more than B1G, and alot more than G5s. Therefore, we need to be better and should be by default.

Frankly, we will soon have enough money to go buy teams and coaches like Kansas State or Florida Atlantic.

My issue is recruiting and development. I had guys playing pickup ball in gym with intramural in Knoxville that can shoot and drive the ball better than most of this team.

We have no history in basketball but to not see the changing trends with the SEC is insane. The SEC is about to make bank on TV deals with realignment and then SEC programs will make 3x ACC, Big12, and Pac12, more than B1G, and alot more than G5s.
Not more than B10 schools. The Big Ten’s deal with CBS, Fox, and NBC dwarfed what the SEC got from ESPN. B10 programs are expected to get close to $100 million a year after all is said and done.

Rick Barnes has been to a Final 4. Tennessee has not. Rick Barnes has been to 3 E8s. Tennessee has been to 1.

Rick Barnes isn’t keeping Tennessee out of the Final 4. Tennessee is keeping Rick Barnes out of the Final 4. It’s nonsensical to complain about Barnes’ post season lack of success when he’s had much more than Tennessee (and Tennessee has played basketball for 4x as many years as Barnes has coached).

Bottom line, you have to hit shots. We got plenty of looks. But just like so many chokes in the NCAAT past, we couldn’t shoot. I don’t know what it’s going to take. This just seems to be our fate.

We have no history in basketball but to not see the changing trends with the SEC is insane. The SEC is about to make bank on TV deals with realignment and then SEC programs will make 3x ACC, Big12, and Pac12, more than B1G, and alot more than G5s. Therefore, we need to be better and should be by default.

Frankly, we will soon have enough money to go buy teams and coaches like Kansas State or Florida Atlantic.

My issue is recruiting and development. I had guys playing pickup ball in gym with intramural in Knoxville that can shoot and drive the ball better than most of this team.

I’m fine continuing with Barnes for about 2-3 more years as I think he is retiring in that time frame. I see no upside of firing him at all.

With that said, there are only 3-4 coaches I would consider an upgrade given the state of our program, our salary commitment, and recruiting pipeline. However, I think the money needed to hire the 3-4 plus pay a buyout of Barnes are not realistic

Barnes is going to get us in the tournament. He's a good coach and man, our team is respectable. He should retire here. I pray he wins that NCAA championship as a VOL.

My guess is Barnes coaching problem is that when you play high octane defense it wears players down. In the beginning-- we were on fire. Winning almost all games--beating top teams. As the season progressed, players got tired and banged up. As you hit the SEC tournament and the NCAA March Madness--you get hardly any rest at all.

You can see it-- our teams start out good and our shooting goes streaky in the second half. The game with Duke is exception, but ON sat on the bench the first half.

So what do you do? Maybe an offensive minded assistant? Rick needs to call time outs when the other team get hot. (Yes, that is a flaw with him)

Other then that. ???

Rick Barnes has been to a Final 4. Tennessee has not. Rick Barnes has been to 3 E8s. Tennessee has been to 1.

Rick Barnes isn’t keeping Tennessee out of the Final 4. Tennessee is keeping Rick Barnes out of the Final 4. It’s nonsensical to complain about Barnes’ post season lack of success when he’s had much more than Tennessee (and Tennessee has played basketball for 4x as many years as Barnes has coached).

Bottom line, you have to hit shots. We got plenty of looks. But just like so many chokes in the NCAAT past, we couldn’t shoot. I don’t know what it’s going to take. This just seems to be our fate.

Yes, players have to produce; but that was one of Barnes’ worst coaching performances I’ve seen here.

ZZ had 4 double doubles this year with points and assist. He was the only who could drive through the defense because of his speed. It allowed Santi play off ball, where he is better at. Tennessee defense wasn’t the issue in the tourney. It was the offense, and it was proven tonight.

He has had some good games just like everyone else, but our offense wasn't exactly setting the world on fire before he got hurt. He's a great facilitator and he is fast, but he is too small to be driving the ball as much as he does, and he is an average shooter. There were several games this year that he hurt more than he helped on offense.

We have, however, lost a couple of games against teams with quick point guards because nobody else on our team can stay with them. He's an All-SEC defender.

I said it when he got hurt that losing him wasn't going to be a huge impact on this team. We've won some good games and lost some really bad ones all year, with and without him. We are just an inconsistent team, ZZ included.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
Barnes is who he is at this point. There was a body of work that showed us that before he ever got here. I was ecstatic when we hired him instead of some stiff I had never even heard of. He wins 2/3 of his games, coaches with integrity and his team play lights out defense. He will be in the mix for conference championships.

He also underachieves in the NCAA tournament. Since coming to TN, his teams have been bounced by a lower seeded (several teams seeded 9 or lower) team every year and never beaten a higher seeded team. Even the big Duke victory was “chalk” at the end of the day. People can say “if you told me at the beginning of the year we would….”. Expectations change. You should at least live up to your seed and once in a while exceed it.

Can we do better than Barnes? IDK. Can we do worse? Without a doubt. At this point we have a body of work that says “he is who he is”. No, he doesn’t “take the shots” but he is the common denominator in his record…..

Spot on

Tennessee was outschemed and outhustled. They were outrebounded by 4 by a significantly smaller team (where was Awaka?). They gave up 40 points in the second half and the defense had no answers to stop the bleeding. FAU took 4 more FTS that UT and I cannot figure why Barnes wouldn't have the offense drive to the hole over and over again. Barnes refuses to call timeouts to stop runs, when FAU was on an 8-0 run and took the lead, he should have called one then, but allowed a 20-4 run to pretty much put them out of the game. I knew once FAU had a 8+ point lead, the Vols were done, they did not have the offensive firepower to overcome that which is a testament to their lack of offensive strategy. When will the Vols break through to the elite 8 and beyond? Barnes hasn't gotten us there and if you view the roster for next year, will probably not be next year either. This team fell apart after that big Texas win and they never recovered. Barnes had no plan B for PG once ZZ went down. The Vols are not a Final 4 program !

Barnes is brilliant till the game starts and then he becomes one of the worst coaches in D1 basketball. It's good far 25 wins and of course that's upgrade compared to the programs history but I think we will never get that Final 4 that we dream about. It would take great players overcoming his in game coaching. That's possible but not likely.

Barnes is brilliant till the game starts and then he becomes one of the worst coaches in D1 basketball. It's good far 25 wins and of course that's upgrade compared to the programs history but I think we will never get that Final 4 that we dream about. It would take great players overcoming his in game coaching. That's possible but not likely.

Lmao, one of the worst takes on here.

Congratulations.

That in a nutshell is Barnes -ball. He's a really good coach, but he's never going to take you to the top of the mountain. It could be much worse, but it could be better. It is what it is as long as he is here. I'm not saying he should be fired, but I am also looking forward to the future to see what the next coach can do.

VN Store

Back