Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

I do not recall saying the Vols were laying down. I do recall that there could have been more intensity in the game I was watching Thursday and coaches can up that intensity when the players get a bit off.

I really think you are on to something but you may be missing a key indicator which is sweat. There really should have been more sweat in the game...I mean the more intense the more sweat - right? If your theory is correct then you absolutely need to start measuring the sweat of each player before, during, and after the game so it can be analyzed and tracked over time for correlation studies. If you are correct then this could represent a fundamental shift in the data science approach for college basketball, heck all of basketball. Who needs all those silly advanced metrics out there now - just sweat...that's it.

Yeah. That is why I was pointing out Coach K. He showed his intensity by running around and jumping.

Not using blue here. If one cannot figure out the sarcasm, he has not watched college bball since the 90s and / or is just plain dumb.

I’m not going to discuss this anymore. Your argument is silly. Just silliness…especially on a weekend like this. Suggesting that I’m dumb is quite ironic after your posts.

Reactions: VolPack22
While Barnes coached Texas, I remember him giving officials an ear full quite often on questionable calls.

However, his family pretty much convinced him to take it easy and not let his emotions get the best of him.

To this day, Barnes doesn’t go out of his way to get a technical. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t care or has “intensity.”

Such a silly argument.

I think I said fire everyone but I also came back and said I overreacted, due to the copious amounts of bourbon, I owned up.
Can we fire Rick
😬

And in fairness, don’t you have copious amounts of bourbon during most games? Lol.

I’m just glad we’re still playing. Hope we can keep it going a little longer.

While Barnes coached Texas, I remember him giving officials an ear full quite often on questionable calls.

However, his family pretty much convinced him to take it easy and not let his emotions get the best of him.

To this day, Barnes doesn’t go out of his way to get a technical. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t care or has “intensity.”

Such a silly argument.

Agree. His intensity did not help him last night. Houston with their point guard in foul trouble ran a 1-4 set for about 6 straight minutes in the second half with Mark at the point. He never adjusted and the FR dominated. At least Pearl was intense and clapping really hard on the sideline.

Those who predicted 1-1 don't get to celebrate? Well damn, I'll just go stand in the corner. Been a UT Fan since 1980. All for nothing I guess
If you read my post in context of Philly and the Barnes haters you would see that’s not what I’m saying. It’s the guys that wanted so bad to say I told you so, he’s a loser but if I’m wrong I’ll be happy with it. Can’t have it both ways.

This is why March matters. Every single Vol fan would take the feeling they had today over the feeling after the Michigan game even though last years team had a better regular season/conference tournament.

I thought that the best defensive game I’ve ever seen from a Vol basketball team in my 15+ years watching. Duke had to EARN every non free throw bucket they got. It was physical yes, but that effort was insane. That was a possessed team. And then ON turned into Bernard King and man that was needed.

I had no expectations after ZZ went down. And after the Missouri game I figured there was no chance they’d get to the second weekend. Great work by Barnes and company for that Duke game plan and to rally the team.

Last edited:
This is why March matters. Every single Vol fan would take the feeling they had today over the game after the Michigan game even though last years team had a better regular season/conference tournament.

I thought that the best defensive game I’ve ever seen from a Vol basketball team in my 15+ years watching. Duke had to EARN every non free throw bucket they got. It was physical yes, but that effort was insane. That was a possessed team. And then ON turned into Bernard King and man that was needed.

I had no expectations after ZZ went down. And after the Missouri game I figured there was no chance they’d get to the second weekend. Great work by Barnes and company for that Duke game plan and to rally the team.

No doubt. I'll keep saying it, I'm glad we won the SECT to get it off our back but otherwise it really doesn't mean that much.

No doubt. I'll keep saying it, I'm glad we won the SECT to get it off our back but otherwise it really doesn't mean that much.

It’s why I didn’t bitch about the early exit last year. I wanted to win that stupid tournament so bad and we did. It was really nice to not se 1979 anymore. It’s a nice thing to have for sure, but I think 95% of fans would take a sweet 16 over a conference tourney.

Reactions: ArdentVol
I really think you are on to something but you may be missing a key indicator which is sweat. There really should have been more sweat in the game...I mean the more intense the more sweat - right? If your theory is correct then you absolutely need to start measuring the sweat of each player before, during, and after the game so it can be analyzed and tracked over time for correlation studies. If you are correct then this could represent a fundamental shift in the data science approach for college basketball, heck all of basketball. Who needs all those silly advanced metrics out there now - just sweat...that's it.
Obviously a Pearl fan…

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
I liked and still like Pearl. I am also a a Barnes fan, especially when his teams play with great intensity which makes me more of a fan of them also.

It was easy to appreciate people like Wayne Chism, Ron Slay, CJ Watson, and Chris Lofton, and Dane Bradshaw, even though they had different personalities. You could obviously tell that they were very competitive people.

I’m not going to pull for anybody but Tennessee because I’ve been a fan since the mid-70s when I was a kid, graduated from the University, and still live in Knoxville.

Given what I saw last night, I hope we are ready to compete this week because we will be playing a good team. They are obviously good since they’re in the tournament, but they are going to be competitive. I do not see this as being an easy game.

Someone wrote, I believe earlier in this thread, about some time we’re on because of the opponent. I sure hope that we do not think we’ve got some fairly easy nine seed to handle and move on.

kThat's cool guys. Go ahead with your keen sense of coaching ability knowing internally that the very good game yesterday that was clearly intense on both sides of the ball for the Vols was just like all those last games of the season. Additionally, know that coach k would have surely felt good about that run as would players like those mentioned from the Lakers, Celtrics, and Bulls of old.

When you can't do that, just go with calling something in competition that is one of the quite important factors nebulous and see again what those pro players thought. Their coaches seem to have been quite intense also, but I do not recall jumping around as being qualities they possessed, yet for some reason, that is what is thought around here when intensity is considered. In the meantime, have a great day with your fat wives or significant others in our egalitarian society and keep up with your feewings.

I say Go Vols, keep up the intensity like yesterday and we can play to win it all. And once again, I still have not and do not call for any firings.
Did auto-correct get the best of your intended post, or is this the way you actually meant for it to be??

I've intentionally avoided this thread, but I think this thought is best placed here.

Pat Summitt once said (paraphrasing), "You'd be surprised how hard a kid will play for you when she knows you love her." Pat was great at pushing her kids to the limit, demanding everything out of them, while also making sure they understand at their core that she loved them.

We can criticize Barnes for not signing a backup PG this year. Or for a sometimes stagnant offense. Or for losing to Vandy and Missouri. Maybe his teams have gotten tight in past NCAAT games (it's debatable). But one thing that we never criticize about him is his team's effort. His teams ALWAYS give great effort. That's why they always play great defense...because defense is largely about effort.

What does that say? It goes back to Pat's point...his kids play hard for him because they know he loves them. He pushes them. He's hard on them. But he's also there for them. He makes sure they know how much he cares about them as people. You see it in his players' comments...they want success for Barnes as much as for themselves.

I'm proud that Rick Barnes is our coach and that he represents our program. I'm far more proud of a team that plays hard than one that plays pretty. I'm proud of our culture. And while I want Tennessee to make the Elite 8 and Final 4 because I'm a Vol fan to my core, I want it for Rick Barnes almost as much.

Last edited:

Such a silly argument.
I think Rick also recommitted his life to Christ when he was at Texas. His sons deep faith caused Rick to deepen his relationship with Christ. I think this caused Rick to settle down, keep the main thing the main thing. Often people mistake meekness with weakness. It’s actually the very opposite. Rick is a pillar of strength and stability if nothing else. He’ll still get fired up from time to time. Nothing wrong with passion. I personally think he keeps it all in balance.

VN Store

Back